The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11th overall pick in the 2023 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

52 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep.  Teams go crazy for centres and big guys on draft day.  

(To be fair I’d love a bigger C like Danielson or Dvorsky too) but it could lead to some very interesting players still on the board at 11.  

I really hope one of those two are still on the board at 11. If I was a GM (doesn't mean much), I would be picking centers in the first round 90% of the time...position that makes the biggest impact on the game and is easiest to predict at the prospect level. Always solid D and goalie options in the later rounds and wingers can be converted centers or more easily traded for or signed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

There’s a few very intriguing prospects that I would love to see fall to 11 like Oliver Moore, Ryan Leonard and David Reinbacher but I don’t think they will be available to us. Out of the guys who are more realistically available to us I don’t see many C’s I would take, I like Danielson but not at 11 because I think he has the floor of a 4th line C I don’t think he has the upside I want at 11 so the only C with that upside would be Yager who doesn’t top my list but I wouldn’t be angry if we took him. Wingers I’d be happy with are Perrault, Wood and Barlow but Axel Sandin Pellikka tops my list, he isn’t big bodied but he skates incredibly well and moves the puck exceptionally, there are other ways to find size so to have him or Hughes on the ice for most of a game can only benefit the team. 

Check out Simashev. If you like Reinbacher they have a lot of the same defensive capabilities but his skating is elite and he's gigantic. A slight bit less polished but he's also got the highest potential between the two offensively. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:05 PM, BobbyClarke said:

I think Michkov will drop. There are just so many players who have near term potential to play in the NHL. Michkov can’t join an NHL team until the 2026/2027 season. And then they can start developing him for the NHL game. The bottom feeders can’t afford to wait that long. Unfortunately, there are, however, 2 teams that I think would snag him before us. Arizona and Washington. Arizona is in perpetual rebuild mode and Washington is at the start of their rebuild and the Ovie generational talent comparisons are too great. 

For Arizona it is almost better that he isn't available for a couple of years.

Chicago should look to trade up if he drops as they are just starting the rebuild and certainly Washington should entertain anything as they will need everything.

Would love if he dropped for us and we dangled Lekk on trade market but expect it will be next years first we spend for cap room.

Edit #1: might as well edit this list as well as I'm scouting more

Also wanted to put out a short list for the Canucks at pick #11 and what I'd do if I were GM: 

Players that will not fall to us but if they do by some stroke of divine judgment, take immediately in this order: 

1)Michkov

2)Benson

Players that have a chance to fall to us but would be lucky to get, select immediately: 

1)Moore

Players we have a realistic shot of getting and should be drafted in my preferred order: 

1)Simashev

2)Reinbacher 

3)Perron (would trade down to make this selection)

4)Sawchyn (would also trade down for this selection and if it doesn't pan out, draft Perron)

5)Ryan Leonard

Players I'd be alright with if they were selected but cautiously optimistic (but also slightly disappointed) about: 

1)Will Smith (good player but his game needs a bit of translation to work in the NHL, doubt he falls to us anyhow as he's rated high on boards but he's no doubt a great playmaker but he cheats in a lot of aspects)

2)Sandin Pellika

3)Willander

4)Barlow

5)Danielson

Everybody else I probably wouldn't be thrilled about at the 11 spot as there should be other players available that in my opinion are BPA's. 

Edit: typo

Edited by MikeyD
  • Like 1

27)Tom Willander - not bad but not great as a dman. Decent anticipation skills, not overly creative offensively, not flashy, not the best defensively. He's alright. Similar to defenseman Elias Petterson. Plays a fairly simple game but can have nice edge work and be effective but nothing ground breaking. Possible top 4 potential that I'd give an okayish chance to. I see him ending up in either the 4 or 5 spot if he continues to progress. One thing I really like is he's very active in tying up sticks. Seems good on the walls but has a tendency to puck watch and not scan enough. Offensively he shines with lots of space but is very mediocre when he isn't given room. I personally wouldn't take him until the 2nd round. Chance at long term NHL career: 50%

Canucks might take him at #11! :o Either Patrik Allvin is wrong on this kid or you. I guess we need some patience to figure out who is wrong. I mean we will see it in three years from now if he pans out or not. What do I see in Tom Willander? I see another adam boqvist, timothy liljegren, erik brännstrom, victor söderstrom. these were swedish defensive prospects that made the NHL but are only solid players on the big stage.

53 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

27)Tom Willander - not bad but not great as a dman. Decent anticipation skills, not overly creative offensively, not flashy, not the best defensively. He's alright. Similar to defenseman Elias Petterson. Plays a fairly simple game but can have nice edge work and be effective but nothing ground breaking. Possible top 4 potential that I'd give an okayish chance to. I see him ending up in either the 4 or 5 spot if he continues to progress. One thing I really like is he's very active in tying up sticks. Seems good on the walls but has a tendency to puck watch and not scan enough. Offensively he shines with lots of space but is very mediocre when he isn't given room. I personally wouldn't take him until the 2nd round. Chance at long term NHL career: 50%

Canucks might take him at #11! :o Either Patrik Allvin is wrong on this kid or you. I guess we need some patience to figure out who is wrong. I mean we will see it in three years from now if he pans out or not. What do I see in Tom Willander? I see another adam boqvist, timothy liljegren, erik brännstrom, victor söderstrom. these were swedish defensive prospects that made the NHL but are only solid players on the big stage.

There is a reason why some would take him there, I just don't believe he's worth a 11th overall pick. He's not dynamic enough offensively to warrant that high of a draft position, that's all. He's not a bad prospect. I just don't think he's your typical 1st round defensive talent. This year defensemen are being catapulted up the draft board because the class is so weak defensively. The reason why Reinbacher is so high up is because of how complete his defense is. He's not a huge offensive threat either and in any other year I doubt he's talked about as possibly the top drafted dman, despite me loving his game and how mature he is defensively. Guys like Reinbacher I actually typically prefer in the late first round.

Willander has skill, it's just a very very simplified game and he's fundamentally lacking just a small small bit in some areas positionally, offensively and creatively. You're not gonna be angry at that pick unless it's in the top half of the draft, then you should expect more in my opinion.

With that said, he will go in the first round. I predict he has a 90% chance of being selected anywhere from 15-30. When the defensive class is this empty, people are gonna reach to get him. I just wouldn't be thrilled at all with selecting him at 11. I would however enjoy following him on his way to see if he ends up a top 4 talent. He's poised to be. He is a fairly safe bet to be a top 6 guy and if he lands should definitely be a top 4 guy, possibly top 3.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Glad to report we still have our 11OA and have not traded this all too valuable pick!

Ric Flair Wrestling GIF by WWE

Yet…..

…..we haven’t traded it yet 

lower your expectations man, hurts less when it happens 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

The closer we get to the draft, the more I hate the fact that we traded away our pick we got back in the trade for Bo. 

Not in my opinion.

Unless it’s in the top 10, you’re getting a low chance at an NHL regular, never mind a top 4 RHD. 

He is 25 and nowhere near hitting his prime as a defender. 

He fit the most important positional need for the team for now and the future.

This was a great trade.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Not in my opinion.

Unless it’s in the top 10, you’re getting a low chance at an NHL regular, never mind a top 4 RHD. 

He is 25 and nowhere near hitting his prime as a defender. 

He fit the most important positional need for the team for now and the future.

This was a great trade.

Too early to tell. 

DET could nail both picks and Hornet could revert back to his old self and this trade could look really bad. Vise versa. 

Both teams could come out on top or neither could. 

We won’t know the final results of this trade for years. 

• Vintage 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:13 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Button has him rated 8th OA. 

elmo-dunno.gif

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Too early to tell. 

DET could nail both picks and Hornet could revert back to his old self and this trade could look really bad. Vise versa. 

Both teams could come out on top or neither could. 

We won’t know the final results of this trade for years. 

I don’t think hronek will take that long. He equated himself decently  for 4 games. coming into an unfamiliar team after being off for 5 weeks. I also can’t see him falling off a cliff either.  Shouldn’t expect anything more or less than a steady progression to where he was before the Injury. And if that’s the case great. He’s probably not going to jump off the page but I don’t think he’ll flop either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:48 AM, MikeyD said:

Check out Simashev. If you like Reinbacher they have a lot of the same defensive capabilities but his skating is elite and he's gigantic. A slight bit less polished but he's also got the highest potential between the two offensively. 

YES,.

definetley see the potential in his game.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Button has him rated 8th OA. 

elmo-dunno.gif

First off, Craig Button.

Second off, I see what he sees. My reasoning was stated above though. However after getting a fair amount of newer footage he progressed well over the season and I moved him up. I still think his trajectory will be around where it'll end up. Has a lot of upside though but has a few bad tendencies that need to be ironed out. 

35 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

First off, Craig Button.

Second off, I see what he sees. My reasoning was stated above though. However after getting a fair amount of newer footage he progressed well over the season and I moved him up. I still think his trajectory will be around where it'll end up. Has a lot of upside though but has a few bad tendencies that need to be ironed out. 

Craig Button is one of the few hockey personalities that actually was a respected scout.   Given it's his wheelhouse, it's at least worthy of checking out, unlike other lists, which is just the aggregate of the hockey writers/media (TSN/SN) views.    Larkin.  Holland (THN writers) etc all make their own lists too but don't pay any attention to that - just the ones they get from the NHL scouts themselves and average out.      ISS is also a reliable ranking, that doesn't get too caught up in WJ hype.  

Button loved the Hronek trade for us.   We got a legit first pairing RHD.   Something that is rare in the draft, and usually takes years to develop.   Given where that pick would be and that this draft normalizes around picks 12-13 ... scouts, are looking for a guy in the 200 game range and call that a win where the NYI pick landed.    

The Horvat trade was a solid move.   Given that we aren't rebuilding.   Button also said tactically IF we kept that pick, the Canucks might as well trade both EP and QHs.    No mention of the fact both those guys have said they don't want to go through a rebuild.   Just that given the structure of the team, if we aren't making significant improvements might as well just blow it all up. 

Edit:  Yzerman in Detroit is still looking for EP's and QHs to draft.  Game breaker elite players.    Can only have so many of them too.   Why he was ok in making his team worse and gaining a lottery ticket.   We are factually on the same road as Detroit is.   Are we ahead of them?  Or behind.   Hard to say.   Mushy middle isn't a great landing spot.    Both teams won more than any other from 2000-2014.   SJ is right there with us as well.    Regular season ones that is.   Will be interesting to see who ends up on top. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/10/2023 at 4:53 PM, Canucks_fo_life said:

If the Canucks keep 11th, they'll get a really good prospect no matter which position, given how bad this team is it should be much higher, but this franchise loves to win meaningless games so it is what it is

So they purposely want to screw themselves by winning :bigblush: