The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ECF] Carolina Hurricanes (M1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Panthers win series 4-0

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/21/2023 at 12:00 AM

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

You think they are in their window?  Well, that's not going to end well.

We are in a window. Is it exactly the window we alll want? No. But it is where we are. We have four years of Hughes, JT in his prime those four years, EP, Demko. I see management feels the same way, hence the Hronek trade, which I now love since I saw the logic of it. I would even entertain trading the 2024 first for the right aged player, probably a Dman.

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

You think they are in their window?  Well, that's not going to end well.

Not sure Florida thought they were in their window either. They barely, I mean barely made the playoffs. If you are waiting for the perfect window, that's not going to end well.

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Can't agree. Our window is now. The next four seasons we have Hughes locked up and Demko for most of that. Demko on a value contract. The window, not well timed, like it or not, is now. The core pieces to make a run are here, including JT. Just gotta keep doing what they can to infill the support cast. 

Why do people think having players locked up = window? lol.. So basically 100% of the league is in a window now? Last I checked Ottawa, Buffalo, even Arizona has Keller locked up. lol.... 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Drakrami said:

Why do people think having players locked up = window? lol.. So basically 100% of the league is in a window now? Last I checked Ottawa, Buffalo, even Arizona has Keller locked up. lol.... 

More or less exactly my point. The window isn't a perfect projection. Look at Boston. Pretty sure I think they had a window this year. I truly believe, with a healthy Demko, this team isn't as far off as some may think. 

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not sure Florida thought they were in their window either. They barely, I mean barely made the playoffs. If you are waiting for the perfect window, that's not going to end well.

They literally needed one of the worst teams in the league to beat Pittsburgh to make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

They literally needed one of the worst teams in the league to beat Pittsburgh to make the playoffs. 

Correction - they needed two of the worst teams to beat Pittsburgh.  Chicago AND Columbus.  Credit to those Panthers but they had a horseshoe up their ass in April.  What if Daddy Tkachuk doesn't humiliate them?  What if Chicago/Columbus tanks a bit harder?  What if.... Marchand scores on the breakaway?  The Panthers run is even wilder than the Miami Heat's.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, rekker said:

We are in a window. Is it exactly the window we alll want? No. But it is where we are. We have four years of Hughes, JT in his prime those four years, EP, Demko. I see management feels the same way, hence the Hronek trade, which I now love since I saw the logic of it. I would even entertain trading the 2024 first for the right aged player, probably a Dman.

Silovs changes everything, imo.  They can ride Demko, get some playoff experience and then transition to Silovs, then allowing them to move Demko for pieces to push them into contender status.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Can't agree. Our window is now. The next four seasons we have Hughes locked up and Demko for most of that. Demko on a value contract. The window, not well timed, like it or not, is now. The core pieces to make a run are here, including JT. Just gotta keep doing what they can to infill the support cast. 

damn imagine our window is now and we didn't even sniff the playoff and we have no prospect/assets to make TDL type moves and still loaded with bad contracts 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Florida definitely thought they were in their window. They won the President's Trophy last year and the year before that were the 4th best regular season team in the NHL. They severely underperformed this season during the regular season, but that doesn't mean they don't think they're in their window. They also made the Huberdeau for Tkachuk trade with the idea of extending their window longer and making a bit of a shake-up to hopefully have better post season success. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Silovs changes everything, imo.  They can ride Demko, get some playoff experience and then transition to Silovs, then allowing them to move Demko for pieces to push them into contender status.

Miller is 30 and locked up for 7 years.  We just traded for a soon to be 26-year-old top 4 RHD.  Petey is almost 25 and looking to sign an 8-year extension and wants to win.  Hughes has 4 years left and then is UFA.

Our window may not be exactly this coming season, but at most it is 2 years away.  Silovs isn't going to be leading this team during the beginning or our window.  Demko is our goalie Bob, who were both trained by Ian Clark.  If we are pulling a Florida Panthers it will be with Demko in net, not Silovs.  Silovs is a great young piece who could eventually replace Demko if we decide to move on from him in 3 years.  

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Florida definitely thought they were in their window. They won the President's Trophy last year and the year before that were the 4th best regular season team in the NHL. They severely underperformed this season during the regular season, but that doesn't mean they don't think they're in their window. They also made the Huberdeau for Tkachuk trade with the idea of extending their window longer and making a bit of a shake-up to hopefully have better post season success. 

This is a team of destiny.  Literally everything has fallen into place at the perfect time.  Angry dad/coach?  Check.  Last-second opponent chokes?  Check.  Insane goalie heating up?  Check.  Even Hart nominee Tkachuk is playing better than he ever has.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller is 30 and locked up for 7 years.  We just traded for a soon to be 26-year-old top 4 RHD.  Petey is almost 25 and looking to sign an 8-year extension and wants to win.  Hughes has 4 years left and then is UFA.

Our window may not be exactly this coming season, but at most it is 2 years away.  Silovs isn't going to be leading this team during the beginning or our window.  Demko is our goalie Bob, who were both trained by Ian Clark.  If we are pulling a Florida Panthers it will be with Demko in net, not Silovs.  Silovs is a great young piece who could eventually replace Demko if we decide to move on from him in 3 years.  

Relying on Demko to go back into bubble mode is not a winning strategy.  It's a gamble.  No doubt he has what it takes to have a Conn Smythe run and steal the cup as the underdog.  No doubt several teams made cup finals off the backs of insane goaltending, but I would want the Canucks to get there by being a good, balanced team.

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I hope they win the cup and silence that stupid superstition. 

I'm too tired to look it up now on YT, but I'm pretty sure Crosby touched it both times during their back-to-back runs.

• Cheers 1

Florida have gotten better and better as the playoffs have gone on, basically from the 5th game of the Boston series onwards they've been invincible. I think this is a classic case of a team who were in their prime last year, failed to meet expectations, then struggled in the regular season (Ekblad's injury didn't help), but in the last bit of the regular season and now the playoffs, everything is coming together - a bit of skill, a lot of hard-work and a bit of luck. It always seems to happen to some team. Meanwhile, Vegas is just playing consistently well but to be fair I don't think they've come across a team in their prime like Florida. All of their past opponents have had one weakness or another whereas Florida just look jacked up all over the ice. 

Should be a really good matchup and long series, Florida's clutch, speedy top-6 vs Vegas' pretty big, solid defence. Vegas' rolling 4 lines vs a very good top-4 defence in Florida. At the end of the day I don't see Vegas able to breakdown Bob, the only kind of skill able to beat a goalie of this calibre is a superstar like McDavid/Draisaitl and Vegas don't really have that.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I'm too tired to look it up now on YT, but I'm pretty sure Crosby touched it both times during their back-to-back runs.

I recall him doing so as well, but not carrying it off the ice like that. 

26 minutes ago, Nave said:

I wish we got Tkachuk.

I kinda imagine we did in a parallel universe. :):shock:

I'll never forget that Friday morning draft. I was completely flummoxed. Fkn hell who is Juolevi and why didn't he say Tchuk!!.....sunny days can suck too.