The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

Great article from March in The Athletic. With video examples as well ...

https://theathletic.com/4278146/2023/03/06/filip-hronek-canucks-blue-line/

"The best standout trait defensively was his competitiveness. Hronek is average sized but he excels as a one-on-one defender. When an attacker handles the puck for too long, Hronek is aggressive at closing the gap and using his body and stick to disrupt the play and create a change in possession."

"One of the biggest issues for the Canucks is that their defencemen don’t read plays fast enough to take away dangerous offensive threats. Hronek, on the other hand, is constantly scanning and checking over his shoulder to try and clog passing lanes. That’s helped him defend cross-seam passes."

"Hronek’s competitiveness allows him to effectively battle against bigger forwards around the crease."

"Hronek is a dual threat in the offensive zone, dangerous as both a shooter and passer. He can rip the puck with a hard one-timer but also walk in and pick his spot with a snipe."

Much more on him in the article. 

Happy Hronek, everyone!

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yes I can and I will he has that because of a stacked team, Toronto exposed him for the fraud he is and so will Columbus. 

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a fraud.  More like a type of coach better suited for a different era (imho) like the 1970s.

• Vintage 1

On 5/16/2023 at 10:43 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Right now at this moment - the trade sucks. I hate it. I would so love to have that extra 1st and the 2nd...

But my opinion may change once the season starts and Hronek makes a difference for the Canucks.

The trade is very good Hronek 25 -6'0 -- #2 RD man on almost any team..You have to pay Middle first and 2nd rounder for player of Hronek skill..Come on ridiculous calling Hronek anything less then a # 2 D man..

Very good trade will make Vancouver much better can log 21--25 mins..

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Everyone know who isn’t happy with the Hronek trade? Yzerboy. He knows he made an egregious error allowing his desire for that Islanders’ (potentially) 2024 unprotected first to have us steal his best player. He saw his club club crumble without Hronek. Alf’s empties are 100% sure Yzerboy would love a do-over on that deal. 

Hronek 25  RD - Will make Vancouver a better team..This player is skilled, Detroit will miss him.. Detroit have not replaced him yet and will not make the playoffs.. Hard to replace a # 2 RD man there not easy to find never mind skilled RD man like Hronek.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2023 at 12:11 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

Bullies tend to get along

This is a variation of Godwin's Law here on CDC.  No matter what, every thread leads to Hef dumping on Morgan Rielly.

And here I thought you'd gotten over your obsession with me. Take your damn meds.

9 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You do have a strange obsession with Morgan  Rielly.  Can't have a normal discussion without mentioning him.

Stop chasing ambulances for a minute and take your meds.  There's a small chance someone still cares about you well-being.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Stop chasing ambulances for a minute and take your meds.  There's a small chance someone still cares about you well-being.

Looking at that 2012 nhl draft, not alot of real winners that 1st round.  I mean sure a number of 'studs' but many more 'duds'.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:37 PM, Dazzle said:

Was Tocchet really the best coach available?

We should have got Babcock before Columbus did . He mighta have been coaching college ,but I think he was on American broadcasts…  either way that’s the guy. just because he didn’t win in Toronto. He’s still the best coach in hockey. What’s Toronto really done since they fired him ????? 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

I'm excited for him and hope he has a great year and resigns a good deal in Van for a long time. 

BUT...it is pretty weird Detroit traded him. Like they clearly are making moves to start being more competitive (looks at their free agency this offseason) and take a forward step. Moving a supposed #2 Dman who is 25 from your team seems to go against the rest of the Wings plan

• Like 1

Article written by Detroit media in December before the trade ...

Why Filip Hronek Has Become a Detroit Red Wings Force Again ...

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/12/06/five-reasons-why-filip-hronek-force-detroit-red-wings-olli-maatta/

"This season, with a new coaching staff in charge, you can make a case that Hronek has been their been their biggest impact player other than Ville Husso.," 

"Hronek is not just having a good season offensively. He’s been a strong two-way defenseman. Remember how he broke up a three-on-one Columbus Blue Jackets’ attack by deflecting the puck off Patrik Laine’s stick. Lalonde has matched Hronek and Maatta against some of the better offensive lines. He shown considerable trust in the twosome. Hronek leads the Red Wings in plus-minus (+11) and Maatta is at +9. Detroit associate coach Bob Boughner, a former NHL defensemen, has helped both of them. One of the strengths of Red Wings this season has been the play of their top four defensemen."

And remember how some people here were crying, weeping, shouting for months how we needed a young Top RHD ...

"At 25, with 269 NHL games, Hronek is at the age when he should be making his biggest impact."

Much more in the article ...

Don't worry ... Be Hronek ...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Article written by Detroit media in December before the trade ...

Why Filip Hronek Has Become a Detroit Red Wings Force Again ...

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/12/06/five-reasons-why-filip-hronek-force-detroit-red-wings-olli-maatta/

"This season, with a new coaching staff in charge, you can make a case that Hronek has been their been their biggest impact player other than Ville Husso.," 

"Hronek is not just having a good season offensively. He’s been a strong two-way defenseman. Remember how he broke up a three-on-one Columbus Blue Jackets’ attack by deflecting the puck off Patrik Laine’s stick. Lalonde has matched Hronek and Maatta against some of the better offensive lines. He shown considerable trust in the twosome. Hronek leads the Red Wings in plus-minus (+11) and Maatta is at +9. Detroit associate coach Bob Boughner, a former NHL defensemen, has helped both of them. One of the strengths of Red Wings this season has been the play of their top four defensemen."

And remember how some people here were crying, weeping, shouting for months how we needed a young Top RHD ...

"At 25, with 269 NHL games, Hronek is at the age when he should be making his biggest impact."

Much more in the article ...

Don't worry ... Be Hronek ...

Yup. Hronek was their best player. 

• Cheers 1