The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:41 AM, Odd. said:

And we won’t even be a competitive team for the next 3-4 years. Look at our cap situation. 

If the goal is to make the playoffs and exit the 1st round for the next 4 years, we are no better than Toronto or Edmonton. Making trades to play an extra 4 weeks in April is not progress.

Can't wait for another 3-4 years of constant complaining on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

After going through the first 70 pages of the OEL trade.

I'll stand by my statement and wait this one out.

A lot of people "nail it" with their positivity in those 70 pages or so.  Time will tell.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

In theory, we know MGMT was looking to upgrade the D and Hronek fit the bill, particularly because he is a younger, somewhat cost controlled (RFA in 24-25) right shot D, aged 25.

We paid a steep price to acquire him. I hope it works out for both parties. I am excited to see him play next season. Our roster is still under construction. It will be interesting to see what subtractions and additions may occur on our roster before October. 

At the end of the day, Alvin n co addressed an area of weakness on our team. Now it's up to Hronek to do the rest and play well for us. They clearly believe in the player.

• Cheers 3

On 7/13/2023 at 5:54 PM, shiznak said:

They haven’t really started the full rebuild until Yzerman came in. When Holland was still there, he said they were retooling on the fly. Hence, why he signed guys like Green, Daley, and Bernier. They made the playoffs the year Babcock left, and haven’t since. 

Also, I don’t think Detroit was that much of a powerhouse team, like the mid-90s. Yeah, they had Datsyuk and  Zetterberg p, in their prime but they also had aging veterans that were on their last legs. 

DET, SJ,VAN won more regular season games than anyone else from 2000-2014.   Our rebuild and down cycle, came pretty much right when Detroit's did.   Holland was trying to rebuild for several years before Yzerman came in.   Couldn't manage 3 back to back cores, but for 2 decades was considered the cream of the GM, HHOF level builder, crop.   JB had nothing to work with, other then Horvat ... difference between MG and Holland is he actually spent his first rounders all the time so at least had more of an excuse for having a bad pool / group of youngsters.   Bertuzzi was a great pick (second rounder I think, check out how long he's been around it could surprise you.   Green and others wasn't a "re-tool"   Much like a lot of JB's moves, placeholding waiting for draft picks to emerge.   Both Detroit and Vancouver needed full rebuilds.  

Babcock has never had to work with a truly bad roster ... no wonder he left.   His "image" was about to get a hit.   ANA went to the final again not much after their first run, and won a cap (not with Babcock), it wasn't a fluke, although Giguere for sure deserved the Smythe on a losing team.    Actually lost two finals, won one cup, for sure overrated, said it when he got the Team Canada job over others, then parlayed that into the richest coaching deal ever.  

Just a good coach on great teams.  Let's see how he does in CLB. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 5/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, Dazzle said:

Anyone who is a neutral observer will realize that paying for a 1st and a 2nd (during a bad year) was not a good deal. I know there's a certain poster who thinks we got a "steal" from this, but consider this:

Hronek was a 2nd round from many years ago, which speaks to the benefits of drafting. They were later able to recoup that 2nd round pick AND a 1st round pick. I hope Hronek doesn't end up being a Clendenning 2.0. Forsling is/was Benning's worst trade.

Here's what I like about this current group of management:

1) Pro scouting >>> much better than what Benning ever did. Hirose, Joshua, Bear, etc etc. Had Benning gotten anyone of these players, he probably wouldn't have wasted as much money as he did.

2) Early drafting success - my favourite prospect so far is E.Pettersson (Defenseman). What a fantastic pick.

This trade is not one of those good things.

I don't know how you can say either one of those, first when Benning was looking around, at the time there wasn't much out there to choose from, if there was then we'd have a different team and I'll use Mik as a example, has he been available instead of Sutts then obviously we'd have chosen Mik instead. 

Let's not forget, even though there's a fair number of players who would play in Vancouver, there's a equal amount who wouldn't. 

I know if I had a chance to play here vs somewhere else, even being a born and bred bc'er, there's no way in hell I'd play in Vancouver. Why? The media and fan base, no not ALL fans are horrible here but a lot are, the media though is the joke of the century. 

And as for Hronek, he's better than anyone on D here not named Hughes, and it's a big step up in that regard. 

Plus one has to remember even top 3 picks in drafts have been duds, picks are a crapshoot as anyone can fail even though they look promising so there's no guarantee there.

We did not get ripped off on the deal, i, for one am just happy we got another top 4 D here who can play and mentor our young guys as well. 

On 7/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Another article from the Detroit media from back in November ...

Quiet Hronek Quietly Playing Sensationally For Red Wings

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/11/25/quietly-hronek-quietly-playing-sensationally-for-red-wings/

With a goal and an assist in Wednesday’s 3-0 victory, Hronek ran his tally to five goals over Detroit’s last five games. Hronek became the first Detroit defenseman with five goals in a five-game span since Lidstrom from Dec. 15-23, 2010. He’s riding a five-game point streak (5-2-7).

Only five NHL defensemen have more goals than Hronek this season. Just 10 rearguards have accumulated more points. With 16 points in 18 games, Hronek is currently on a 73-point pace.

"I think he’s been awesome all season,” defense partner Olli Maatta said. “Happy to see he’s getting pucks going in for him, too. I know it means a lot but at the same time he’s doing a lot of great things off the puck, too.

-------

And ... as always ... you KNOW you want to feel it. You know you can feel it. Let it flow through you. Turn that frown upside down.

Happy Hronek, everyone!!!

Did you mean happy Hroneka? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

what i know from detroit is that Hronek was a great D-man and has not quite reached his prime. cant say much since he played so few games last season so im expecting him to be a go-to guy if he has a good pre-season training and can stay healthy. 

On 7/23/2023 at 11:03 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

Eight days in December, during Hroneka, we celebrate the rededication to our blueline! ;)

Let's just hope it's not Ballard day... or Jason Garrison day.   Or Tyler Myers day or something.   Or even more fun ... Gudbranson day because we've seen that story too!

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2