The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames name Craig Conroy as GM

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, his heart might be in the right place, but...rookie. 

Re-start in Cowgary

They must love seeing Tkachuk do his thing.  And some think the Canucks make bad trades.  

Honestly I think the Flames made a pretty good trade there given that Tkachuk wasn't going to re-sign with them.  Huberdeau didn't turn out to be Tkachuk's equal after they switched places but getting a 100 point player for a 100 point player that doesn't want to re-sign with you is pretty good, and that's not even mentioning Weegar and the first round pick.

Sometimes a move doesn't pan out in the end - like signing Vladimir Krutov - but it is still a smart move at the time.  I still think bringing Larionov and Krutov to the Canucks in 1989 was a brilliant move.

Benning's blunders weren't smart moves at the time.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly I think the Flames made a pretty good trade there given that Tkachuk wasn't going to re-sign with them.  Huberdeau didn't turn out to be Tkachuk's equal after they traded places but getting a 100 point player for a 100 point player that doesn't want to re-sign with you is pretty good, and that's not even mentioning Weegar and the first round pick.

Sometimes a move doesn't pan out in the end - like signing Vladimir Krutov - but it is still a smart move at the time.

Maybe with better coaching they can rally next season. Sutter was toxic and the room was frustrated with that. Now that Sutter's gone, who knows? I hope they hire Green, that could be fun.

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Honestly I think the Flames made a pretty good trade there given that Tkachuk wasn't going to re-sign with them.  Huberdeau didn't turn out to be Tkachuk's equal after they traded places but getting a 100 point player for a 100 point player that doesn't want to re-sign with you is pretty good, and that's not even mentioning Weegar and the first round pick.

Sometimes a move doesn't pan out in the end - like signing Vladimir Krutov - but it is still a smart move at the time.

Agreed. Tkachuk forced the flames to move him and I'm sure he has a say of where to go as well. Brad Treliving still made the best move he could at the time. There was no way he was giving up Tkachuk for draft picks and prospects.

With a new coach Huberdeau should bounce back next season so it might not be as lopsided as it looks. 

Edited by canuckwings
  • Cheers 1

Someone correct me if I'm wrong--but doesn't he have 0 front office experience? Seems a bit wild to throw him into a role like this without any experience at all. At least go for a guy like Ryan Johnson who's got AHL management experience or a person with AGM experience.

EDIT: Thanks to @Fanuck for informing me that Conroy does have experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong--but doesn't he have 0 front office experience? Seems a bit wild to throw him into a role like this without any experience at all. At least go for a guy like Ryan Johnson who's got AHL management experience or a person with AGM experience.

He's worked in NHL 'front office ' positions since he retired in 2011 and he's the current assistant GM in Calgary so it was a natural fit for their organization. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He's worked in NHL 'front office ' positions since he retired in 2011 and he's the current assistant GM in Calgary so it was a natural fit for their organization. 

Too experienced.  They need to do a Garth Snow and just hire a random backup goalie with no experience at all as GM.  I nominate Frank Caprice.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Thanks, I figured it seemed crazy. This makes way more sense then.

Honestly I think the Flames made a pretty good trade there given that Tkachuk wasn't going to re-sign with them.  Huberdeau didn't turn out to be Tkachuk's equal after they switched places but getting a 100 point player for a 100 point player that doesn't want to re-sign with you is pretty good, and that's not even mentioning Weegar and the first round pick.

Sometimes a move doesn't pan out in the end - like signing Vladimir Krutov - but it is still a smart move at the time.  I still think bringing Larionov and Krutov to the Canucks in 1989 was a brilliant move.

I think it's still too early to tell with Huberdeau, we'll see how he does this season with a different coach. It's unlikely he just lost his talent. 

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Good for him. He's been working in organizational roles for a while it seems, nice to see us gradually seeing more new blood in the GM pool. 

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Thanks, I figured it seemed crazy. This makes way more sense then.

Apparently he insisted upon having the Flames draft that Gaudreau squirt.  Turned out well for them.

Flames fans seem genuinely excited about this.  They also think this means Iggy will rejoin the organization in some capacity.  Personally I'm not sure if hiring old friends is always a good thing but that happens all the time.  And both guys never stop smiling so that's a plus compared to Sutter.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Apparently he insisted upon having the Flames draft that Gaudreau squirt.  Turned out well for them.

Flames fans seem genuinely excited about this.  They also think this means Iggy will rejoin the organization in some capacity.  Personally I'm not sure if hiring old friends is always a good thing but that happens all the time.  And both guys never stop smiling so that's a plus compared to Sutter.

Iginla being more involved in hockey can only be a good thing for the sport. Would be nice to see it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, his heart might be in the right place, but...rookie. 

Re-start in Cowgary

They must love seeing Tkachuk do his thing.  And some think the Canucks make bad trades.  

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

"The Flames had filed for club-elected salary arbitration with Tkachuk, who had told them he did not want to sign a long-term contract with Calgary. His hearing was scheduled for Aug. 11."

Flames didn't have much choice. They took the best deal they could get. Hubs just threw down a 115 point season 

Too experienced.  They need to do a Garth Snow and just hire a random backup goalie with no experience at all as GM.  I nominate Frank Caprice.

No, how about Mason McDonald?

• Like 1