The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames name Craig Conroy as GM

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

While Higgins is a least in the organization in a management role (Director of Player Development), as a player I don't think he touches what Conroy was to the Flames. Conroy played 200 more games with the Flames than Higgins did with the Canucks and averaged .15PPG higher over his tenure. In his first 3 full seasons he put up 75 points, 59 points, and 47 points in 63 games (61 point pace). He was also Calgary's second highest scorer in the playoffs during their cup run, second only to Iginla.

Additionally, Conroy was a much more important leader on the Flames wearing the C one season and an A an additional 3 full seasons plus 2 partial seasons.

You’re not going to find a one-for-one analogue, because players and organizations are not the same (as much as Calgary inexplicably wants to copy Vancouver). But Higgins is the closest equivalent.

• elephant 1

42 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I can see Iggy getting hired for something..They seem like best buds.

Looks like he’s going to coach his son this year then move to a job with the Flames. But everything is lining up for an Iginla hire in one form or another. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

You’re not going to find a one-for-one analogue, because players and organizations are not the same (as much as Calgary inexplicably wants to copy Vancouver). But Higgins is the closest equivalent.

Personally I don't really see the comparison other than that Higgins works in management now. Conroy was a primary member of the Calgary cup run team and a major part of their leadership group. Higgins was on the Canucks 2011 cup run team, but very much a secondary player and wasn't in the organization as long.

Dave Babych might be a better comparable. He also came to the Canucks later in his career, was a member of a cup finals team, was a leader on the team, and later worked for the Canucks. Still not as important to the Canucks as Conroy was to the Flames, but more so than Higgins was I would say.

But at the moment, I would say the Canucks don't really have good comparable to Conroy.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Personally I don't really see the comparison other than that Higgins works in management now. Conroy was a primary member of the Calgary cup run team and a major part of their leadership group. Higgins was on the Canucks 2011 cup run team, but very much a secondary player and wasn't in the organization as long.

Dave Babych might be a better comparable. He also came to the Canucks later in his career, was a member of a cup finals team, was a leader on the team, and later worked for the Canucks. Still not as important to the Canucks as Conroy was to the Flames, but more so than Higgins was I would say.

But at the moment, I would say the Canucks don't really have good comparable to Conroy.

I was thinking Ryan Johnson as an ex-player with the potential to be GM.  He certainly didn't have the playing career though

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nonis gets a bad rep. When he was one of the few GM's that did decent drafting. And didn't mind developing players. I don't blame him standing up to the owners and saying we're not mortaging our future for a short term answer.

Him refusing to make that trade and getting fired for it was probably the biggest decision that led to the 2011 run.  Also got Luongo for a neutered Bertuzzi.  He's tied with Burke behind only Quinn for the best GM in franchise history.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Him refusing to make that trade and getting fired for it was probably the biggest decision that led to the 2011 run.  Also got Luongo for a neutered Bertuzzi.  He's tied with Burke behind only Quinn for the best GM in franchise history.

Yeah glad he’s getting an opportunity. Flames seem to be taking the right steps with management but their situation is a dire one so they might have their work cut out.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah glad he’s getting an opportunity. Flames seem to be taking the right steps with management but their situation is a dire one so they might have their work cut out.  

They really didn't do themselves any favors playing over their heads to miraculously make the playoffs.  Last year we saw the real Flames, and it is clear they are nowhere close to being a legit NHL team at any position.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They really didn't do themselves any favors playing over their heads to miraculously make the playoffs.  Last year we saw the real Flames, and it is clear they are nowhere close to being a legit NHL team at any position.

Due to their past signings they kind of have to go for it but if they are smart they should consider next year a wash and sell some of their upcoming UFAs. They have a ton of cap coming in the 2024 offseason and that will be the time to reconstruct the roster. 

2024 is a good UFA class as it currently stands. Things can change for sure though. 

Gathering picks then using them to help build the roster might be the best bet for next year, akin to how we acquired Hronek. 

It’s what I would do if I was their GM but we’ll see how they manage their situation. 

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nonis gets a bad rep. When he was one of the few GM's that did decent drafting. And didn't mind developing players. I don't blame him standing up to the owners and saying we're not mortaging our future for a short term answer.

Nonis was alright. He just killed his legacy with the David Clarkson signing. I swear it was a MLSE directive to sign him anyway. They wanted to make a splash. And the hype was all about David Clarkson for some strange reason.

Plus X Canucks GMs are just toxic because we do such a thorough job of trashing them in our media.

It is just once again a funny twist to see an X Canuck of his caliber signed by the Flames.

Dave Nonis was the original Kyle Dubas type. A younger guy who took the academic route. And never played in the NHL. I think these guys are good to have. Instead of just x players and all old boys club action 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I am not saying its the same. But Verstappen asked who the Canucks equivalent would be, and given the current overview of the organizations, that would be my answer.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Nonis was alright. He just killed his legacy with the David Clarkson signing. I swear it was a MLSE directive to sign him anyway. They wanted to make a splash. And the hype was all about David Clarkson for some strange reason.

Plus X Canucks GMs are just toxic because we do such a thorough job of trashing them in our media 

Wasn’t it Nonis who got fired because said no to Aquilini wanting him to trade for Brad Richards? Tampa wanted two young players: Kesler and Edler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1