The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

This is nearly the same team that got absolutely floored by a rookie goaltender and lost all their confidence, ultimately leading to a series loss against Dallas. Vegas is no match for Bobrovsky. This could be a sweep but I see it going 6 or 7 so that they can max out on sports betting and ticket revenue. This league is a joke. 

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Ron had a part in doing that to us in 2011.  We also had a team that was harder to cheer for if they weren't your team to begin with.  Nobody in any other city was going to like Kesler or Burrows.  I doubt I would have if they hadn't been on my team.  The 1982 and 1994 teams had fighters and enforcers but not many pests or rats.  That and they were Goliath this time instead of David.

I think the 1982 and 1994 teams were fairly universally liked by everyone but their opponent cities in the playoffs.

Or Raffi Torres....or Max Lapierre....

....and as much as everyone loves Juice now...back in 2011, he wasn't very popular outside of Vancouver and Grimsby....

TBH, I think Ron McLean had very little to do with how unpopular that Canucks team was.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I predict that Anchorage will win the Stanley Cup within the next five years.

They can play in the Arctic Division with Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Winnipeg and Kenora....B)

Nome sayin'?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and as much as everyone loves Juice now...back in 2011, he wasn't very popular outside of Vancouver and Grimsby....

TBH, I think Ron McLean had very little to do with how unpopular that Canucks team was.

I remember how a good number (outside Vancouver) when Bieksa had a fight with Patrick Marleau cried/complained about how could he fight a smaller non-fighter (Marleau).  WTF was Bieksa supposed to do?  Just stand there & take his punches?  And Marleau was actually physically bigger than Bieksa (taller & heavier)!:lol:

Alot of the complaints was that Bieksa picked his fights too much.  Look, he as a middleweight not a heavyweight so of course he can't go around challenging guys like Lucic.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I remember how a good number (outside Vancouver) when Bieksa had a fight with Patrick Marleau cried/complained about how could he fight a smaller non-fighter (Marleau).  WTF was Bieksa supposed to do?  Just stand there & take his punches?  And Marleau was actually physically bigger than Bieksa (taller & heavier)!:lol:

Alot of the complaints was that Bieksa picked his fights too much.  Look, he as a middleweight not a heavyweight so of course he can't go around challenging guys like Lucic.

I remember it too. I also remember the fact that Marleau started it (and threw the first punch).....Juice just finished it....

....and I have to agree with you....On what planet is Patrick Marleau smaller than Kevin Bieksa? :rolleyes:

As far as "picking his spots" goes, I remember arguing with a few other posters about that. If you look at Bieksa's fight card, he's usually right in his own weight class. The only guy he fought multiple times that you could actually claim was smaller, is Mike Richards.

But for every Mike Richards, there was a Jordin Tootoo, Derek Dorsett, Patrick Maroon, Wayne Simmonds, Matt Martin, Tom Wilson, Kyle Clifford and Michael Ferland.

He also dropped the gloves with Ben Eager and the much bigger Alex Petrovic and JF Jacques....

• Cheers 1

I predict Vegas to win game one...you know, Florida with rust and all ( haven't played in almost 2 weeks )

but then the Cats 'almost' sweep the next few winning it all in 6...@ home. 

I think that Tkachuck is growing on me. He is a turtle, a pest, easy to hate. So are most of my favourite players. Burrows was not a popular player outside of Vancouver but when he got his shot with the twins he became a real hockey player. I’d rather see Florida with him, Barkov and guys like Gudas and Bob win a cup than the Knights. They were gifted a team in the draft and Eichel still seems like an entitled brat to me. Florida in 6

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I think that Tkachuck is growing on me. He is a turtle, a pest, easy to hate. So are most of my favourite players. Burrows was not a popular player outside of Vancouver but when he got his shot with the twins he became a real hockey player. I’d rather see Florida with him, Barkov and guys like Gudas and Bob win a cup than the Knights. They were gifted a team in the draft and Eichel still seems like an entitled brat to me. Florida in 6

Yeah I am not buying that "gifted" in the draft excuse. If that was the case the Oilers should be here and not them. How many #1 draft picks were they gifted? ::D

Vegas is built on hard working, defense first players who actually play the right way, all the time.

Marchessault and Karlsson come to mind and they don't have to be "Pests" to be effective. 

Eichel seemed that way to me at first, but he has shown a different side of himself in the playoffs. He doesn't allow the added pressure to get to him and Stone is the kind of Captain I wish we had here. Vegas in 6. B)

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah I am not buying that "gifted" in the draft excuse. If that was the case the Oilers should be here and not them. How many #1 draft picks were they gifted? ::D

Vegas is built on hard working, defense first players who actually play the right way, all the time.

Marchessault and Karlsson come to mind and they don't have to be "Pests" to be effective. 

Eichel seemed that way to me at first, but he has shown a different side of himself in the playoffs. He doesn't allow the added pressure to get to him and Stone is the kind of Captain I wish we had here. Vegas in 6. B)

Different kind of draft. The terms of expansion that Vegas (and now Seattle) were gifted are MUCH better than any previous teams. Vegas has a very talented bunch of guys and a real team attitude (this is why Edmonton is not there). I don’t want to watch a team as new as Vegas win before the Nucks. Florida has at least sucked for quite a few years to get to this point…both these teams deserve to be here, hoping for a good competitive series. Cheers!

• There it is 1

Just now, Amebushi said:

Different kind of draft. The terms of expansion that Vegas (and now Seattle) were gifted are MUCH better than any previous teams. Vegas has a very talented bunch of guys and a real team attitude (this is why Edmonton is not there). I don’t want to watch a team as new as Vegas win before the Nucks. Florida has at least sucked for quite a few years to get to this point…both these teams deserve to be here, hoping for a good competitive series. Cheers!

Yup. Vegas was pretty much only missing the superstar 1D and 1C. Impossible to get those in expansion. They did have the assets to trade for the 1C and were able to attract the 1D in free agency. 

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Then you remember he tried to assassinate Alex Burrows’ character on national tv a year earlier and was a key figure in that anti Canucks hate parade he ran during 2011. 

59 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

It's more teams outthinking the process than the expansion rules + some teams not knowing what they had in their players.  CBJ would have probably never left Karlsson unprotected if they knew he could be a top-6 C. Trotz was calling Schmidt a D7 and healthy scratching him.  

This was Vegas' opening lineup:

Perrron Eakin Neal

Marchessault Haula Smith 

Karlsson Lindberg Leipsic

Carrier Bellemare Nosek

Sbisa Schmidt

McNabb Engelland

Garrison Miller

Fleury

Subban

They had Tuch and Theodore in the AHL and had drafted Glass (now in Nashville for Nolan Patrick), Brannstrom (part of trade for Stone), Suzuki (part of Pacioretty trade).

Edited by mll
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, Pears said:

Then you remember he tried to assassinate Alex Burrows’ character on national tv a year earlier and was a key figure in that anti Canucks hate parade he ran during 2011. 

Sure. I remember that. I just don't agree that it had much (if anything) to do with how popular the Canucks were during that playoff run. FWIW, I also remember Grapes pumping our tires for most of those playoffs.

That didn't make any difference either.

I get it. People hate Ron McLean, but you're giving him way too much credit.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sure. I remember that. I just don't agree that it had much (if anything) to do with how popular the Canucks were during that playoff run. FWIW, I also remember Grapes pumping our tires for most of those playoffs.

That didn't make any difference either.

I get it. People hate Ron McLean, but you're giving him way too much credit.

Ok let me ask, did Burrows get as much hate as he did before Maclean assassinated his character as he did after? I can almost guarantee most people didn’t even know who he was before that incident. 

Edited by Pears