The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap… Wait it out a year or pay a price to make space?

Rate this topic

Junkyard Dog

What do you do?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cap is only gonna be a 1M increase by the sounds of it. 

The following off-season after this one the league are gonna have a more significant cap increase as well as we’re gonna have cap off the books from some more pricey expiring contracts. 

The question I am asking is do you wait it out a year and save assets or are you willing to pay sweeteners/buyouts/retention to create more cap space in order to try to improve the team right away?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Cap is only gonna be a 1M increase by the sounds of it. 

The following off-season after this one the league are gonna have a more significant cap increase as well as we’re gonna have cap off the books from some more pricey expiring contracts. 

The question I am asking is do you wait it out a year and save assets or are you willing to pay sweeteners/buyouts/retention to create more cap space in order to try to improve the team right away?

From what Allvin says our owner is not going to okay a big cost buyout, like OEL. JR announced several times last summer and into fall he didn’t want our owner paying for three head coaches at the same time. (Reported by Seravelli that JR tried to convince our owner to move on from BB last summer but our owner refused) So no way our owner will spend 20 mil to buyout OEL. 

• Like 1

Easy choice for me. Wait a year. Another good development year for guys like Podz and Hogz. Hopefully one of them can break out. Defence will still be a work in progress but maybe Woo and Hirose get some games. Hopefully battling for a playoff spot with a healthy Demko. Next year makes way more sense to spend imo 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Benning and to some extend Alvin made this bed. Time to sleep in it instead of continuously buying new pillows for a more comfortable sleep. If something comes up that legitimately benefits the team, I'm all in. But if the answer in buyouts, sweeteners, what have you, there is no point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

I don't see us adding any sweeteners to deals, however there is now a possibility of a buyout to free up cap space.  

If I had to guess I would say that Beauvillier would be the guy getting bought out.  The buyout number is reasonable and frees up almost $2.8 million in cap space this year.  We would have a $1.4 million cap hit for next year, so it's not ideal but probably is the best option of the bunch.  I don't see any other way to free up almost $3 million in cap space without adding a sweetener.  The other option is to try and trade a forward with term for a Dman with term or for a 3C, so money in, money out.

I also think we are keeping our pick at 11.  There are lots of options with that pick and we will get a good player...

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Yeah.. It makes no sense to buyout Beauvillier at all. He played well while here. We'd literally be buying him out just for the sake of buying someone out. Beauvillier could likely be traded without much issue if the Canucks don't want him.

I wish they’d move someone not needed garland Myers. To free up cap. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Yeah.. It makes no sense to buyout Beauvillier at all. He played well while here. We'd literally be buying him out just for the sake of buying someone out. Beauvillier could likely be traded without much issue if the Canucks don't want him.

I don’t even think I want to trade him tbh. Just because we gotta clear cap doesn’t mean we should move capable players for the sake of moving them. Garland, Myers, maybe Boeser etc., are who we should be looking at to clear cap. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I don’t even think I want to trade him tbh. Just because we gotta clear cap doesn’t mean we should move capable players for the sake of moving them. Garland, Myers, maybe Boeser etc., are who we should be looking at to clear cap. 

Yep, Beau would be far down the list for me for clearing cap.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This upcoming season is not the one we're going to march all the way to the Cup Finals.  Why wouldn't you wait a year to let the expensive contracts expire?

I would hope this management team is a bit less erratic and more measured and won't look to trade off short-term cap hits for long-term boat anchors, selling off much-needed assets in the process.

(And don't give me the bullsh!t about magic beans - we have a decent development system being built, we actually need those picks now, and to start accumulating more picks.)

#11, 2024 protected first, 2024 7th for Seth Jones, 2024 3rd, and Mackenzie Entwistle

:lol:

This would be funny if this wasn't close to the trade Benning made for OEL and Garland. :sick:

As to the OP we should 100% just wait the year out and plan for next year.

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

Why would it make any sense to buyout Beauvillier considering how well he fit in after he got here, and if we were to trade him, we could easily get at minimum a 3rd?

I think that 3rd is probably the maximum too unless a solid year with Petey ups it at the deadline. That may be the move we need to make to get compliant and bring in a 3C. There should be a # of teams that would be interested in Beau for one season. A buyout putting dead money on the cap next season would be incredibly shortsighted and braindead though.

52 minutes ago, Pears said:

Why would it make any sense to buyout Beauvillier considering how well he fit in after he got here, and if we were to trade him, we could easily get at minimum a 3rd?

Which team is giving us a 3rd round pick for Beauvillier?  Obviously it that was the case we wouldn’t need to buy him out. Nobody has $4.1 million in extra cap space to fit Beauvillier on their team.  Only team that would want him would be a team that has cap space that wants a sweetener.

Also, we need a 3C and 2-3 Dmen. We don’t need to keep all of our smaller wingers.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I think that 3rd is probably the maximum too unless a solid year with Petey ups it at the deadline. That may be the move we need to make to get compliant and bring in a 3C. There should be a # of teams that would be interested in Beau for one season. A buyout putting dead money on the cap next season would be incredibly shortsighted and braindead though.

Which team has $4.1 million in cap space that is giving us a 3rd round pick and wants to add another small winger to their team? 

The cap crunch league wide seems more acute this year than last.

There are quite a few teams that are in a cap bind.  It means more players available with possibly the opportunity to acquire players that wouldn't otherwise be available. 

The cost to move cap is likely higher this year than last - either a higher sweetener, or forced to make better players available because the cost to move lesser players could be too high.

It's a pretty unique opportunity for teams with cap space - to either get more futures or acquire good players on the cheap from teams who need to clear cap.

Ride it out seems like the obvious answer but how much more expensive will it be to improve the team next year when more teams aren't that cap crunched anymore. Management has decided to compete now so can't really see them do nothing.  

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

NYI has been trying to trade him for quite some time.  Doubt teams fall for points in garbage time when there's no pressure.  Also coaching change in Vancouver + a rather soft schedule to end the season.

• Cheers 2