The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Canucks linked to an intriguing Right Handed Defenseman: The interest is mutual

43 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. Peeke has 3 years left at a cheap contract, the same time Jiricek’s ELC ends. Serves as a stop gap for Jiricek and even if he outplays early you got a fairly cheap Right Side that plays more than they’re worth for 3 years. 

I have never envied a bad team as much as I envy CBJ. Embarrassment of riches in the RHD department. Must be nice to actually draft d-men with 1st rounders.

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

From a Canucks perspective, this was really a non-story ... just a bunch of "could" ... "can" ... "possibly" ... more speculation on whether it was possible the Canucks could be in on him. 

Yep. The Canucks could have called NJ. Friedman thought Severson would like to play in a city like Vancouver. Crazy stuff

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

From a Canucks perspective, this was really a non-story ... just a bunch of "could" ... "can" ... "possibly" ... more speculation on whether it was possible the Canucks could be in on him. 

Severson name dropped us to drum up interest in himself. Looks like it worked. But yeah, there was apparently no interest from our side to sign him. Although I wasn't against it, til I seen the cap and term. Oof.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Severson name dropped us to drum up interest in himself. Looks like it worked. But yeah, there was apparently no interest from our side to sign him. Although I wasn't against it, til I seen the cap and term. Oof.

I just hate seeing people treating it as a breaking story. It's manufactured news.  An attempt by Rick Dhali to appear credible.

Yeah, that cap and term is major oof. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Peeke is a puck sucker. Don’t want him. 

Riccio and Shah say Peeke could just be another Poolman. Don’t know why people think he’s so special here. I don’t think he’s Poolman but I’m rather get Boqvist. Sure Peeke is big and right handed but his price is probably at its highest. I’d rather a young guy with top 4 potential that’s been so unlucky with injuries his trade value is probably at its lowest. Boqvist should be the guy we target. I doubt we’re in on either with our cap space situation.

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Riccio and Shah say Peeke could just be another Poolman. Don’t know why people think he’s so special here. I don’t think he’s Poolman but I’m rather get Boqvist. Sure Peeke is big and right handed but his price is probably at its highest. I’d rather a young guy with top 4 potential that’s been so unlucky with injuries his trade value is probably at its lowest. Boqvist should be the guy we target. I doubt we’re in on either with our cap space situation.

Yeah, that was an interesting take that Sat got Poolman vibes from Peeke. They even discussed the Peeke for Garland proposal, which someone texted in.

The point they made is that a good partner for Hughes is mostly about IQ/awareness, not just size. And that Peeke is big, but not overly physical.

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, that was an interesting take that Sat got Poolman vibes from Peeke. They even discussed the Peeke for Garland proposal, which someone texted in.

The point they made is that a good partner for Hughes is mostly about IQ/awareness, not just size. And that Peeke is big, but not overly physical.

Just think the better trade is Garland for Boqvist. Feel like Peeke is what he is but with Boqvist the injuries have held him back and he still has top 2 potential. But it’s like us building up our winger depth and while I think Podkolzin is good enough to play in our middle 6 he’s in the AHL. Boqvist won’t get the opportunity especially with their other young guys knocking on the door.

Love how all the Canucks rumoured plans are disappearing.

It’s for the best. Signing guys like Gavrikov and Severson to big inflated deals is a bad idea. And we need to upgrade on Schenn.

If they wanna fix the D it’s through smart trades like the Devon Toews or Marino ones, and long term through drafting D men.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Just think the better trade is Garland for Boqvist. Feel like Peeke is what he is but with Boqvist the injuries have held him back and he still has top 2 potential. But it’s like us building up our winger depth and while I think Podkolzin is good enough to play in our middle 6 he’s in the AHL. Boqvist won’t get the opportunity especially with their other young guys knocking on the door.

I get it. Think many of us are hung up on adding big, shutdown D, but turning a winger into ANY useful defensemen seems like a good move now. 

Edited by Kenny Powers

15 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Prior to his concussion issues though, Poolman was a solid 2nd pair, defensive D with good skating, puck moving, PK etc.  

We could use one or two of those guys.

Are either the "ideal" long term partners for Hughes? No. But there's be a better fit than Boqvist, and the nobody we presently have.

Edited by aGENT

20 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Just a spin from probably the agent and some topk the bait.

• Cheers 1

Absolutely funny reporting. 

Went from Friedman "thinks" Vancouver could call about Severson, and he "thinks" Severson would be happy to play for Vancouver... 

to

Vancouver is pursuing Severson. Severson wants to play here too.  

• Cheers 1