The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames name Ryan Huska as head coach

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Honestly, I'm shocked that the Flames didn't hire Mitch Love. Seemed like the obvious fit. I won't be shocked if Mitch Love moves to another team next season but I guess good on Ryan Huska for getting the job seemingly out of nowhere.

Not really out of nowhere.   Huska was their assistant coach the past 5 seasons after being initially their AHL coach for 4 years - he's come up through their organisation. 

They have too many good players on that team to be a bad team with even an average coach so let's see what he can do. He's been an assistant for a while, it'll be interesting to see if he has a similar or different, more offensive style to Sutter. Any change over there is good though.

5 hours ago, Kragar said:

What's the deal with Weekes and his camera placement?  Been a couple I've seen from him like this.

"Top of my head" is a just a common saying, dude.

I guess that's his attempt of trying to be quirky. Like, that's his thing now and it makes him stand out from all the other insiders or whatever...I think it's just f**king stupid and reeks of desperation.

• Cheers 1

I would have thought that Calgary would've been cautious about promoting from within, (both Conroy and Huska) after the same pattern in Edmonton year after year (Lowe, MacTavish, Huddy, Steve Smith, Ron Low, Gretzky) resulted in an inferior product. I don't know a thing about Huska, but his hiring looks to me like Conroy listened to the players, then hired a guy they think can work with the very guys who basically quit on Sutter. (Yes, they did) And, don't forget, Huska was behind the bench, too.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Flames name Ryan Huska as head coach
On 6/9/2023 at 2:33 PM, rekker said:

I've met Ryan a few times during his duties with the Rockets. First class guy, great communicator, very thorough. He has earned this chance and has put in the time. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be a successful NHL coach. 

I worked in his home in Kelowna multiple times and both he and his lovely wife were / are very kind people who treat others with respect, many achievements in his career including having his name on the Memorial Cup more than any other player.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

I worked in his home in Kelowna multiple times and both he and his lovely wife were / are very kind people who treat others with respect, many achievements in his career including having his name on the Memorial Cup more than any other player.

Wouldn't be at all shocked if Huska becomes the next Jon Cooper type coach. 

Edited by rekker

• 2 weeks later...