The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've said all along, only way he gets bought out, is if management thinks his ankle is going to be a major/lingering issue moving forward. Guess I got my answer.

So you think it is really injury related that ended up helping them make the call on this? 

The luongo deficit has been in place so long and now that it’s gone there just used to that operational  expense being there? No matter who’s name is attached ?  Expect a dman from within or another compromise bottom 4 in a top 4 roll. 2 dman down in a couple of days. This all has to make sense to somebody up there ? 

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Maybe it’s time to just let the young guys play and see what we have and adjust next year:

Hughes Hronek

Hirose Johansson

Rathbone Woo

Wolanin McWard

Move Myers to ARZ or CHI.  Could be a tire fire if we go this way though.  Need to see the full plan still.

• Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't think dead cap longer than one year is acceptable under any circumstances.  He played fine his first season and was playing hurt last season.

Would you still hold this position if OEL didn't come out and say he hurt himself last year in the world championship? 

The amount of pain of having $7 million in dead cap at the peak of contention would hurt way more than 4 years of $2 million where the league minimum way be within reach if that number. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If this move gives the team the space to sign or trade for a couple of solid defensemen to round out the top 4 with size and stay at home acumen, I think you'll look back on this move with indifference.

Hard no.  This is simply inexcusable, and even worse than what good Gillis did to the franchise with the Luongo trade. The only silver lining is hopefully the idiots running the team are replaced sooner as a result of their gross incompetence.  There is no reason these clowns should feel welcome in Vancouver.

I find it hilarious that the Avs and their fans were fine with a $6M Erik Johnson playing on the 3rd pair of their elite Stanley Cup winning roster, but here we are buying out OEL to just have to replace him with another top 4 LHD that will be making at least $5M AAV. 

So from next year onwards:

$2M dead cap + $5M = $7M for replacement defenceman

$4.5M dead cap + $5M = $9.5M for replacement defenceman

$4.5M dead cap + $5M = $9.5M for replacement defenceman

woo hoo... we're SO far ahead now.

• Cheers 4

48 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t see why I would. They wouldn’t make all these sacrifices if they didn’t want to make the playoffs next year. 

Whether or not they will I don’t know, but if they don’t it will be unacceptable to me given what they’ve given up to try to improve the team and compete in the short term.

Yeah I agree they want to make the playoffs, totally. 

But saying anything short of that feels like you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I want the team to be great too, but they have literally added nothing. Today they cleared some cap which is okay (gonna be feeling it for a while still), but they also added a new hole with the 2LD position now vacant. 

23 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

This must be the most short sighted move Ive seen an NHL team make in recent memory. 

No, that would be the trade that got us this lemon of a contract in the first place.  This was the foreseeable future as soon as GMJB made the most short-sighted move in sports history.

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Hughes Mayfield 4x 3

Graves 5x4  Hroneck

Hirose Schenn

that's a top 12 d corps in the league at best 

Mayfield and Graves will both go for $5M+.  No way a top 4 RHD UFA is gonna sign for $4M x 3 lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Hard no.  This is simply inexcusable, and even worse than what good Gillis did to the franchise with the Luongo trade. The only silver lining is hopefully the idiots running the team are replaced sooner as a result of their gross incompetence.  There is no reason these clowns should feel welcome in Vancouver.

You're not going to stalk them, are ya?

• Haha 1

I hate this. It just feels incredibly shortsighted and like a continuation of all the other shortsighted moves the Canucks have been doing the past few years that have almost destroyed this core's chance to ever compete.

If OEL is able to bounce back at all after having a fully healthy offseason it's easy to see him get back to a 6M quality player. Instead, in years 3 and 4 we're stuck with a 4.77M cap hit during our best chance to compete before Miller almost certainly declines. In order to replace OEL without actually costing more in cap, the Canucks need to find a player for 2.5M that can play at a 6M level. Good luck. Of course this is not to mention that we're then hit with another 4 years of a 2.13M cap hit after that when he would normally have been off the books.

Even waiting one more year to see if he could bounce back would have been a better buyout option. 

• Cheers 1