The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think the Ukrainian War Thread should have been moved to a private Forum?

J.I.A.H.N

Do you agree that the Ukrainian War forum should have been moved into a private invitation only club?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I observed the war thread without posting. Feeling slightly intimidated not knowing if I actually knew enough to involve myself. so the jist of this, one CAN  easily feel intimidated. Once I realized my own knowledge of the subject was sufficient I started. Now with an invitation fence. I could see intimidation at play with others.  a persons knowledge of a subject whether it’s high , low shouldn’t limit inclusivity. The invitation might do just that. 

The invitation is just access. 

No one has to participate in the thread. 

Lurkers can continue lurking. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It was either put it in a club, or close the thread.

given that choice, I feel moving the thread to be the right thing to do.

It is in The Adult table- a club full of many of the people that have added to the thread anyway, so it is amongst those that care.

Closed thread or re located thread

You choose.

It is their house, so it is their rules.

So now there’s 3 threads on this topic because SOMEONE made a mistake by moving it,.  And those not willing to push back on that move , omit, delete, or now try to water down this judgement over 3 diffrent threads?

That’s very Russian  .

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So now there’s 3 threads on this topic because SOMEONE made a mistake by moving it,.  And those not willing to push back on that move , omit, delete, or now try to water down this judgement over 3 diffrent threads?

That’s very Russian  .

It is their house, it is their rules.

Instead of being glad that the thread still exists, you are ticked it got moved?

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The invitation is just access. 

No one has to participate in the thread. 

Lurkers can continue lurking. 

The point I was trying to make was I was lurking.  I Wanted to participate but felt my knowledge was borderline. I’m sure I’m not alone with that. I mean the warnings of derailing a thread can stop a person posting. Not knowing if the very post is pertinent enough. No one likes to feel like their going to interrupt something with what they might perceive as a dumb question.  The way I was brought up was there isn’t dumb questions as much as there is people without enough patience for polite answers. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It is their house, it is their rules.

Instead of being glad that the thread still exists, you are ticked it got moved?

Why should it’s existence be threatened?

Politics and religion is a weak argument because they come up in any other thread on CDC and get dealt with.

You don’t live in fear do you?

Im pissed it got moved because there are many who don’t want to be involved with the Adults Club or have to go to any other place than where they were getting  their news from.

Its outrageous and an overreaction

to a move decided be a group of owners or moderators ?

Its their house?..

we built the house Gurn.

Perhaps it’s time for another Forum in Vancouver.

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Go ahead then, set up your own forum.  You'll come to appreciate just how thankless the job is, and you'll also get to read how people will label you as "authoritarian", "censorship", and "dictatorial", despite your best efforts to try to facilitate meaningful discussion.

And yes, it is their house, and we're all guests.

“Your, You’ll, you’ll , you, .. lol,.   
Perhaps if they had discussed anything with anyone, especially in The Club,

I might think they’re actually human. responsible, empathetic, fair, kind , and understanding to their base, their “house”.

But I don’t…

I think it’s a bot operation run by a balding , shirtless fat Russian guy drinking Vodka out of the bottle in front of a computer screen.

But for you, it must feel like being a puppet on a string?.. or are you sitting beside that guy ?

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

@-SN-  the posts and poll here is worthy of “The War in UKraine “ thread be put back into the appropriate Topic Listing it was in,  for everyone to enjoy.

Moving it to a PRIVAT / INVITE Thread was a mistake ,. 
It blocks those who have freely roamed those pages for news,  and puts others who have established an INVITE CLUB , to an inconvenience on your decision.

It wasn’t SN’s decision to move the thread out of off topic.  You have the wrong initials. The person who ordered moving the thread out of off topic has the initials FA…

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Why should it’s existence be threatened?

Politics and religion is a weak argument because they come up in any other thread on CDC and get dealt with.

You don’t live in fear do you?

Im pissed it got moved because there are many who don’t want to be involved with the Adults Club or have to go to any other place than where they were getting  their news from.

Its outrageous and an overreaction

to a move decided be a group of owners or moderators ?

Its their house?..

we built the house Gurn.

Perhaps it’s time for another Forum in Vancouver.

I have spent some time trying to think this thru and not decided whether to continue on this site or not. I have found a lot of value in your posts and would miss that. Your points about what we see on this thread versus others is spot on. Using the actions of a troll to restrict access by moving the thread could be an easy excuse to do the same on many other threads. To a degree this thread has been an education process for many casual readers who had no idea of where Ukraine is even located.

Specifically I would mention the 20 lectures by the Yale professor on the history of Ukraine. I listened to them all on this site. Yes I can keep up to date on Ukraine news without this site. I question who benefits from moving the thread to access by an exclusive group? Would Chon have asked for access if he casually cruised thru the site? He is a thoughtful poster and his input would have never happened. 

Seriously, FA shut this thread down? Give me a break. I am just getting riled up and have better things to do. I have always appreciated your post SAM on here and other threads.

This passes as a discussion board. Little discussion involved in this move. It demonstrated a lot of disrespect for the posters on this topic. I don’t accept that ‘this is my house rules’ so sit down and shut up. This move could have been opened to discussion and all the reasons for moving it thrashed out. The way it was done borders on censorship. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chon derry said:

I observed the war thread without posting. Feeling slightly intimidated not knowing if I actually knew enough to involve myself. so the jist of this, one CAN  easily feel intimidated. Once I realized my own knowledge of the subject was sufficient I started. Now with an invitation fence. I could see intimidation at play with others.  a persons knowledge of a subject whether it’s high , low shouldn’t limit inclusivity. The invitation might do just that. 

Are there ways we can lower the intimidation factor of the invite?  Spitballing here, perhaps pin a thread in Off Topic that explains the Adult's Table Club and posting in that thread will garner you an invite?

Remember we have wallets.

Don't forget.

Down the road, dont forget that they owe you. 

The time spent adding interest to their brand. Only to be treated like sh*t. No reasoning, no comunication, hid away like weaklings. 

It's our team, they are temporarily custodians, one day we will have new owners, we put the roofs up on top this. The fans.

Hit them where they care. Do not give them your money. 

Remember the owners have liquor brands. Slap Jawdrop coolers out of your friends hands if they dare pick up that product to buy in a store. 

The way into the Adult table is simple, ask a few people for an invite, and you get an invite.

That is it. That is the whole convoluted, extremely onerous task, set before those daring, intrepid souls that want in.

Ask.

Many of us have signatures that say ask us.

However here is a partial list

King Heffy

Sharpshooter

Gurn

Stawns

Kilgore

JM- if he ever comes back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Club was set up so that some 'off topic' chat, not sport or "what are you listening to" threads could  still exist, after the last rule change.

It was a compromise- it was club or none of that chat.

So some of us chose "Club"- we extend invites to any one that asks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all should remember- this is a HOCKEY site, anything else is a bonus; and ultimately even the hockey chat is still at the will of the owner/operator of the site.

There are other sites, some political/topical some hockey, some with a bit of both.

We could all go elsewhere, but I hope not.

Would not be the same, user names would  likely be different, some would not move, but rather just get left behind or dropped.

I've got 11 years here, learning and chatting with the same people.

I'd prefer to keep chatting with them, so don't see the up side of challenging the people that make the rules.....

All this from me, who left this site for 3 months over the way JR was running the team.

I only came back because JR mostly retired himself.

I'd like to not lose the limited off topic chat we have....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Are there ways we can lower the intimidation factor of the invite?  Spitballing here, perhaps pin a thread in Off Topic that explains the Adult's Table Club and posting in that thread will garner you an invite?

I don’t know. It just seems be to getting a little to heated for me to bother. As much as never cared for the new posters snide retorts , his veiw point may not have fallen in line with the general consensus , but was it a view point that was worthy enough for suspension ?  Unless I missed something he posted that was way out of line and was immediately deleted? It’s just a shame there’s 1 or 2 differing view points , 1 or 2 different contributors having paid the price for their involvement. I hope sam’s  still around. Yes he should of backed down a little. But he obviously felt strongly about everything. And I get that part too. 

Edited by chon derry

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

But he obviously felt strongly about everything. And I get that part too. 

Yep, me too.

There were many threads, started by many people, that got turfed a few months back.

And Sam has put a lot into keeping the War thread updated, and vibrant.

That said.

I do thank the mods/admin that allowed the 'work around' of the club.

Really hope that survives all this angst.

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yep, me too.

There were many threads, started by many people, that got turfed a few months back.

And Sam has put a lot into keeping the War thread updated, and vibrant.

That said.

I do thank the mods/admin that allowed the 'work around' of the club.

Really hope that survives all this angst.

My concern is , does my contribution to the thread violate some guide line I’m not aware of ?  I mean I was hesitant to begin with about my own level of knowledge about the war. But now I have to worry about the content of my post jeprodizing my account as well ? Because it may not  fall in line with the flow of conversation?  1 persons already paid the price for his viewpoint and possibly the other paying the price for the way it was handled, and not agreeing with it. not worth it I’m out.  

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

My concern is , does my contribution to the thread violate some guide line I’m not aware of ?  I mean I was hesitant to begin with about my own level of knowledge about the war. But now I have to worry about the content of my post jeprodizing my account as well ? Because it may not  fall in line with the flow of conversation?  1 persons already paid the price for his viewpoint and possibly the other paying the price for the way it was handled, not worth it I’m out.  

You're fine.  Asking questions is a good thing.  New posters going straight for the thread upon joining and parroting Kremlin propaganda is crossing the line.  The poster in question was likely a dupe of a previously banned poster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chon derry said:

My concern is , does my contribution to the thread violate some guide line I’m not aware of ?  I mean I was hesitant to begin with about my own level of knowledge about the war. But now I have to worry about the content of my post jeprodizing my account as well ? Because it may not  fall in line with the flow of conversation?  1 persons already paid the price for his viewpoint and possibly the other paying the price for the way it was handled, not worth it I’m out.  

One guy got turfed, just a couple of days ago, from the War thread-while it was on the main 'off topic' forum.

the thread got moved to the Adult Table, and the thread continues.

The only thing that has happened to that thread, while in the Adult Table was some complaints about what had happened.

These were deemed to not be "War" comments, but rather complaints that the thread had been moved in the first place.

So 'not on topic' and after a few request to stop, those comments were moved, but the war thread continues.

There is now this thread, on the main off topic forum, to discuss whether the "Ukraine War thread" should have been moved, and another similar thread at the Adult Table discussing if the thread should have been moved.

The key part here is

The "Ukraine Russia War" thread still exists on the Adult Table-, come over one and all. and keep the thread alive. multiple updates already this am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You're fine.  Asking questions is a good thing.  New posters going straight for the thread upon joining and parroting Kremlin propaganda is crossing the line.  The poster in question was likely a dupe of a previously banned poster.

I was following the thread and was involved at the very time it all went down. I must have missed this parroting propaganda thing as that would support my claim of my own lesser knowledge. But I did quote you about who I thought it was. But you never answered me back. ( clam ) but I guess who ever he was is moot anyway. 

• Cheers 1