The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] THE PLAN

Okay, here we go. I looked at Allvin’s notes that he got from JR and this is apparently the plan…

To Vancouver:

Brandon Carlo

Trent Frederic

To Boston:

2024 1st round pick 

Nils Höglander 

Aidan McDonough

Jack Rathbone

To Vancouver:

Brenden Dillon

To Winnipeg:

Conor Garland

To Vancouver:

2023 7th round pick 

To Chicago:

Anthony Beauvillier 

2023 3rd round pick

Free Agent Signings:

Trent Frederic - 2.3x1

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Nick Bjugstad - 2.3x3

Jesper Fast - 2.3x3

Garnet Hathaway - 1.3x3

Noah Juulsen - .9x2

Kuzmenko     Pettersson    Mikheyev

Frederic         Miller            Boeser

Podkolzin      Bjugstad       Fast

Joshua          Aman            Hathaway

PDG

Hughes       Carlo

Graves        Hronek

Dillon          Myers

Brisebois    Juulsen

Demko      Silovs

Pearson - LTIR

Poolman - LTIR

Boston is in cap hell.  Winnipeg needs some long term contracts. Chicago needs to reach the cap floor.  Cap works at $83.5 million.  Our defence is huge, even bigger than Vegas.  Frederic is our Tanner Jeannot and will get 20 goals playing with Miller.  We have a massive upgrade on our penalty kill.  Petey loves it.  Petey approves.

Playoffs here we come baby…   :)

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 2

There’s no way Boston trade Carlo before Forbort, Grzelcyk, or Reilly. All of which have one year remaining, while Carlo has 3, at a reasonable cap. Even if they do decide to trade Carlo. There’s probably better offers from others teams that we possibly can’t beat (ie: Calgary could offer Hanifin for Carlo+). 

Worst case scenario, they could just buyout one of Forbort or Reilly and save 2.5m.

50 minutes ago, shiznak said:

There’s no way Boston trade Carlo before Forbort, Grzelcyk, or Reilly. All of which have one year remaining, while Carlo has 3, at a reasonable cap. Even if they do decide to trade Carlo. There’s probably better offers from others teams that we possibly can’t beat (ie: Calgary could offer Hanifin for Carlo+). 

Worst case scenario, they could just buyout one of Forbort or Reilly and save 2.5m.

Boston has no cap space for Hanifin. They barely have cap space to sign Bertuzzi who is their priority. They also have to sign 6-7 more guys just to ice a full lineup. They have less than $5 million in cap space. 

If they shop Carlo they may get a better offer, but they won’t be taking salary back. They could buy out all those Dmen, and they would have to just to re-sign Bertuzzi, Bergeron, Krecji, Swayman, etc. 

You've just made a team that will never score but also never get scored on.  Going from one of the weakest bluelines in the league to... the strongest.  Carolina/Vegas ain't got nothing on a defensive core like the one you've constructed.  Include all those defensive forwards and we are basically the new Nashville Predators - I'd probably fall asleep watching this team.  And do you really want Frederic (a fourth liner) playing top six minutes?

But the real problem is you're telling me we can get that kind of dramatic transformation for... Höglander, Rathbone, Garland, and a 1st?  That's a lot of surplus players going the other way - no chance in hell those teams bite on such weak offers.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Okay, here we go. I looked at Allvin’s notes that he got from JR and this is apparently the plan…

To Vancouver:

Brandon Carlo

Trent Frederic

To Boston:

2024 1st round pick 

Nils Höglander 

Aidan McDonough

Jack Rathbone

To Vancouver:

Brenden Dillon

To Winnipeg:

Conor Garland

To Vancouver:

2023 7th round pick 

To Chicago:

Anthony Beauvillier 

2023 3rd round pick

Free Agent Signings:

Trent Frederic - 2.3x1

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Nick Bjugstad - 2.3x3

Jesper Fast - 2.3x3

Garnet Hathaway - 1.3x3

Noah Juulsen - .9x2

PDG

Hughes       Carlo

Graves        Hronek

Dillon          Myers

Brisebois    Juulsen

Demko      Silovs

Pearson - LTIR

Poolman - LTIR

Boston is in cap hell.  Winnipeg needs some long term contracts. Chicago needs to reach the cap floor.  Cap works at $83.5 million.  Our defence is huge, even bigger than Vegas.  Frederic is our Tanner Jeannot and will get 20 goals playing with Miller.  We have a massive upgrade on our penalty kill.  Petey loves it.  Petey approves.

Did Allvin's notes mention anything about protection on the 2024 1st? :P

Edited by dougieL
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

They’re adding like 800k from that Hanifin trade. Another option is trading DeBrusk, whose been rumoured to be on the trading block, in like forever. That save them another 4m. Buyout one of Forbort, nets them 2.5m. That’s roughly 11m to sign Bergeron (team friendly contract), Bertuzzi (doubt they can re-sign him), and Swayman. 

Edited by shiznak

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Brandon Carlo

Trent Frederic

To Boston:

2024 1st round pick 

Nils Höglander 

Aidan McDonough

Jack Rathbone

To Vancouver:

Brenden Dillon

To Winnipeg:

Conor Garland

To Vancouver:

2023 7th round pick 

To Chicago:

Anthony Beauvillier 

2023 3rd round pick

Free Agent Signings:

Trent Frederic - 2.3x1

Ryan Graves - 5x5

Nick Bjugstad - 2.3x3

Jesper Fast - 2.3x3

Garnet Hathaway - 1.3x3

Noah Juulsen - .9x2

PDG

Hughes       Carlo

Graves        Hronek

Dillon          Myers

Brisebois    Juulsen

Demko      Silovs

Pearson - LTIR

Poolman - LTIR

Put on the bald cap Allvin, theres some trades to make!

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You've just made a team that will never score but also never get scored on.  Going from one of the weakest bluelines in the league to... the strongest.  Carolina/Vegas ain't got nothing on a defensive core like the one you've constructed.  Include all those defensive forwards and we are basically the new Nashville Predators - I'd probably fall asleep watching this team.  And do you really want Frederic (a fourth liner) playing top six minutes?

But the real problem is you're telling me we can get that kind of dramatic transformation for... Höglander, Rathbone, Garland, and a 1st?  That's a lot of surplus players going the other way - no chance in hell those teams bite on such weak offers.

Frederic had 17 goals playing under 12 minutes a night on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Playing with Miller he could be a 25-goal scorer.  Could be better than Jeannot.  Remember, he was a first round pick.  He has talent.  I disagree about that lineup not being able to score.  Petey, Kuzmenko, Miller, Boeser, Hughes and Hronek are all offensive talents.  Frederic, Mikheyev and Podkolzin are guys that can compliment each line and put up 20 goals.  Our scoring will go down yes, but we will have a team built like Tocchet wants it built and we will have a team built for playoff hockey.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

That D is hot and heavy and honestly is the way forward but we obviously lose some offensive depth which I don't mind. I doubt Boston give up Carlo unless we give a 20 minute defenceman back, they want cap space but they still want to be competitive.

How about:

1) Myers (50% retained) + Raty + extra (Rathbone, Hoglander or a pick) for Carlo + Zacha

Raty could maybe play 4C next year, maybe a year of 3C minutes. He's big and strong, the sort of player Boston love. They get a big gangly guy in Myers but most importantly - that's 3-4M going in to them and they get rid of just under 9M. 5-6M in cap space is priceless for them, they can re-sign some of their offensive guys so barely lose a beat. Zacha wasn't that good with them despite signing a big deal, Bertuzzi blew them out of the water so you know they want to try and keep him, and can do with this deal so it's a lot more worth than just the players - that cap space is huge for them. The Canucks now have the cap space to spend and this fixes our two biggest needs and for the next little while as they're both young.

2) Sign Graves 5x5M

Carlo is great but we need a solid LD. We could go after a cheap guy like Soucy but according to Cap Friendly, after LTIR we have like 12M in cap space. The trade above cost us 12M in cap space so we have to get a bit funky...

3) Flip Garland no matter what it costs.

Get rid of his sweet 5M to fit Graves in. Give up anything but a 1st, I'm sure we can swindle it. Some people are saying he can get us a pick back - great, otherwise I'd happily package up one of our many 3rd and/or 4ths to get it over the line. 

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Zacha - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - Carlo

Graves - Hronek

Hirose - Burroughs

Such a solid top-4 (top-5 in the league easy), so solid down the center, a bit weak on the bottom D pairing but that's a hole we can cover easily with such a strong young, physical top-4 defence.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Frederic had 17 goals playing under 12 minutes a night on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Playing with Miller he could be a 25-goal scorer.  Could be better than Jeannot.  Remember, he was a first round pick.  He has talent.  I disagree about that lineup not being able to score.  Petey, Kuzmenko, Miller, Boeser, Hughes and Hronek are all offensive talents.  Frederic, Mikheyev and Podkolzin are guys that can compliment each line and put up 20 goals.  Our scoring will go down yes, but we will have a team built like Tocchet wants it built and we will have a team built for playoff hockey.  

The key being "Compliment" these lines. The primary point producers are Petey, Kuz, Miller and Boeser. If they can produce a little bit that's great, I am more concerned about how much room they can provide for the others to be able to do their magic.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i still like signing ufa barbashev as our 2c and then trading miller for peeke and 3c roslovic. center position solved and hughes partner solved.

My only issue with signing Barbashev is he is ppor at faceoffs, not a recipe for success imo. If we didn't go get Mikheyev last year I would be happy to try get Barbashev, think he is a better all around player and fit for our team over Mikheyev...but we have him already so adding another long term winger is a poor use of the new cap space imo.

I think Graves might be overpaid, I am curious about Carson Soucy...played in Seatlle, I don't know how much or well he played but he has size and is a pain to play against...could he be a nice guy to pair with Hronek on the 2nd pairing?? Would think he would cost less $ and term wise vs Graves

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So which one is it, then?  Is he a 25-goal scorer?  Because you're certainly not paying him like one.  If you intend to slot him into the top six, then he deserves a contract that at least partly reflects that.

Frederic's biggest asset is his relentless, physical defensive game, exactly like all the other players you brought in.  Bjugstad, Hathaway, Dillon, and Fast are all elite defensive talents that can kill penalties like it's nothing.  The way these forwards play, they belong in the bottom six - one of the reasons teams like Boston/New Jersey rolled four lines.  Bottom six isn't a bad thing on a good team (like Boston).  That forward core was nothing like ours this year.

I'd be happy if we got our hands on one of them.  It's just not realistic to get all of them.  I'm also not saying they can't score - I'm saying they won't want to score and will be happy shutting the opponents down.

18 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

So which one is it, then?  Is he a 25-goal scorer?  Because you're certainly not paying him like one.  If you intend to slot him into the top six, then he deserves a contract that at least partly reflects that.

Frederic's biggest asset is his relentless, physical defensive game, exactly like all the other players you brought in.  Bjugstad, Hathaway, Dillon, and Fast are all elite defensive talents that can kill penalties like it's nothing.  The way these forwards play, they belong in the bottom six - one of the reasons teams like Boston/New Jersey rolled four lines.  Bottom six isn't a bad thing on a good team (like Boston).  That forward core was nothing like ours this year.

I'd be happy if we got our hands on one of them.  It's just not realistic to get all of them.  I'm also not saying they can't score - I'm saying they won't want to score and will be happy shutting the opponents down.

Frederic will get paid based on last year’s performance. I’d put him around $2.5 million on a one year deal. 2 years takes him to free agency. If he pops 25 goals playing with Miller then I have no problem paying him $4 million+ on his next contract. 

Podkolzin is a top 10 pick. If Frederic turns out not to be a 25 goal scorer then he can certainly play on the 3rd line and we can see if Podkolzin is the guy who breaks out as the 25 goal scorer. Either way I like them both. Mikheyev is already a 20 goal scorer. If he’s 100% healthy and playing with Petey and Kuzy for the whole year he could pop in 30. 

Sure, I’d be happy getting just one of those guys. Getting all of them isn’t realistic, I understand that. But one can hope Allvin is trying hard with his newfound cap space to get a couple of these forwards. 

As for the defence, IMO Hughes and Hronek is enough for the offence. We always have Hirose and Wolanin we can call up as well. Adding Graves, Carlo and Dillon would put us on par with Vegas. Realistically it probably doesn’t happen. But I hope we get one of those guys at least. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1