The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Has Soucy ever played any significant stretch of top 4 minutes? Not saying he can't, but I wouldn't be expecting it at 28 if he hasn't before.

Was a 3rd pairing D in Minnesota.  His 1st season (2019/20) he had a stretch of maybe 15-20 games where he played with Brodin - on the right side but otherwise he played on the 3rd with mostly Brad Hunt then Cole the following season.  

Both seasons in Seattle he was 6th in TOI per game at 5v5 and in all situations (min 20 games).  Using Natural Stat Trick at 5v5 - here are his most frequent partners:

1st season - 310 minutes with Oleksiak.  180 with Giordano.  130 with Dunn.  

This season - 470 minutes with Will Borgen.  440 with Justin Schultz.  Next was Cale Fleury but only 55 minutes.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Do you mean Mike Reilly? He was waived 3 times last year, played most of the season in the AHL and makes 3 million dollars. The bruins would have to pony up a 3rd for us to take him. Even then I'm sure there are better ways to use that space.

They have no second rounders, so not interested.

12 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Do you mean Mike Reilly? He was waived 3 times last year, played most of the season in the AHL and makes 3 million dollars. The bruins would have to pony up a 3rd for us to take him. Even then I'm sure there are better ways to use that space.

His buyout cap hit is only 333K for this season.  The buyout window is open till 30 June.

The cap hit the following season is 1.33M but the cap is expected to rise + they will also no longer have the 4.5M for the bonus overage for Bergeron/Krejci. 

8 minutes ago, mll said:

His buyout cap hit is only 333K for this season.  The buyout window is open till 30 June.

The cap hit the following season is 1.33M but the cap is expected to rise + they will also no longer have the 4.5M for the bonus overage for Bergeron/Krejci. 

This is true...The point I was making is we aren't giving up assets for him.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's a bad deal for Seattle for Soucy. He's not worth 4M at 4 years. 

Canucks should not go above that, so if he can't find anything better than that, then he's probably staying in Seattle. 

I can't see Seattle not resigning Soucy and Dunn with 20 million cap space..

Dunn around 6.2 million -- Soucy 28--6'5 lots of teams want this type of D man, gritty and big..

Soucy sign between 3.4 --4.0 million X 4 yrs.

He would look good in Vancouver.

42 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yep, Reilly.  His scouting report made it sound like he’s putting his game together. Was he in the AHL due to cap reasons? Bruins seem to have 7 d signed to nhl  contracts. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Be nice to have Soucy on the Canucks, but my guess is he'd prefer to re-sign in Seattle. They're a good playoff team. Why would he want to leave that?

The opportunity to play top 4 minutes next to Hronek?

1 hour ago, mll said:

Was a 3rd pairing D in Minnesota.  His 1st season (2019/20) he had a stretch of maybe 15-20 games where he played with Brodin - on the right side but otherwise he played on the 3rd with mostly Brad Hunt then Cole the following season.  

Both seasons in Seattle he was 6th in TOI per game at 5v5 and in all situations (min 20 games).  Using Natural Stat Trick at 5v5 - here are his most frequent partners:

1st season - 310 minutes with Oleksiak.  180 with Giordano.  130 with Dunn.  

This season - 470 minutes with Will Borgen.  440 with Justin Schultz.  Next was Cale Fleury but only 55 minutes.

Thanks for the stats! Where did you dig up those numbers? 

Soucy is probably a guy who can anchor a 3rd pair quite effectively but can play top 4 minutes in a pinch 

I bet he’ll come in at 4m per over 5 years considering the bidding war will bump up his number a fair bit 

also wouldn’t be shocked if he gets 6 years 

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I can't see Seattle not resigning Soucy and Dunn with 20 million cap space..

Dunn around 6.2 million -- Soucy 28--6'5 lots of teams want this type of D man, gritty and big..

Soucy sign between 3.4 --4.0 million X 4 yrs.

He would look good in Vancouver.

No thanks not at $4mil a year for a 3rd pairing LHD. 
Maybe at 2.5 and even that is rich. We can't keep paying 4th liners and 3rd pairing like we used to for beagle/roussel etc

1 hour ago, billabong said:

Thanks for the stats! Where did you dig up those numbers? 

Soucy is probably a guy who can anchor a 3rd pair quite effectively but can play top 4 minutes in a pinch 

I bet he’ll come in at 4m per over 5 years considering the bidding war will bump up his number a fair bit 

also wouldn’t be shocked if he gets 6 years 

Natural Stat Trick.  It's under their player index.  Here's the main link:  https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerlist.php

By clicking on the column you can sort by TOI and then team.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mordekai said:

No thanks not at $4mil a year for a 3rd pairing LHD. 
Maybe at 2.5 and even that is rich. We can't keep paying 4th liners and 3rd pairing like we used to for beagle/roussel etc

There in demand, teams are looking for big guys like Soucy 6'5 28 - 3.5 million for sure.

Graves 6'5 maybe 4.8 million

Thats the price you have to pay unless you develop a young player in system..

Just now, wildcam said:

There in demand, teams are looking for big guys like Soucy 6'5 28 - 3.5 million for sure.

Graves 6'5 maybe 4.8 million

Thats the price you have to pay unless you develop a young player in system..

Gudbranson signed for 4 million and Soucy is better...

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Gudbranson signed for 4 million and Soucy is better...

That contract looked bad the moment pen hit paper. Lets not pretend that is a comparable. And if that is his ask, let some other schmuck give it to him. He can hang out in free agency til late July waiting for 4mil.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Its what happens every year with UFA come July 1st??Been going on for years every team does it..

Maybe Arizona should be the one to do it this year. Supposedly there has been a change in philosophy there and they actually want to ice a competitive team. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:48 AM, Warhippy said:

If Garland had Boesers NHL skill and size and Boeser had Garlands skating and motor we'd have two first line players the league would be kicking our door down for.

Absolutely. But, Boeser did get more ice time per game particularly in PP time. Boeser had almost 47 more minutes of PP time over the season and primarily on the 1st unit. Garland was rarely ever on the first unit. I look at that extra time with better linemates, also at even strength, and Boeser's 9 more points than Garland last season doesn't impress me much. I do think Boeser has the better shot and higher production ceiling, but he's so utterly vanilla in all other areas I don't think he's the best bang for the buck. Maybe Toc can change that but I'm not holding my breath.