The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign Jordan Staal

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

$2.9 million sets the market. A guy like Bjugstad should be available for $2-2.5 million.  He’d be my first choice for 3C. 

Yeah this is looking promising for picking up a 3C through UFA.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$2.9 million sets the market. A guy like Bjugstad should be available for $2-2.5 million.  He’d be my first choice for 3C. 

i wish it set the market, but it doesn't. Staal took a home town discount for sure, he would have got more on the open market by a couple of million but decided to stay on a team he likes and is contending. Took less so the team can hopefully bring in some more help.

• There it is 1

Just now, greenbean30 said:

i wish it set the market, but it doesn't. Staal took a home town discount for sure, he would have got more on the open market by a couple of million but decided to stay on a team he likes and is contending. Took less so the team can hopefully bring in some more help.

He signed for just under 12 million. He’s 35 and got four years. These are years of sharp decline. It’s an overpay by 2 years. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I doubt any team would have given him a 4 year deal. The AAV is low but he got $12 million in money. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt any team would have given him a 4 year deal. The AAV is low but he got $12 million in money. 

Teams would have definitely given him 4 years. He hasn't shown any real sign of decline, and is still one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. Even if in 2 years he was slowing down, he would still be a good 4th line guy who play PK but wouldn't be used in any offensive situations. Teams close to a cup would have given him 4x3.5-4 a year on the open market.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He signed for just under 12 million. He’s 35 and got four years. These are years of sharp decline. It’s an overpay by 2 years. 

Sharp decline?  Always a possibility but he's been instrumental to the team's success, he's been healthy and he's evolved his game over the years.  I disagree with you and think he will be great.