The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Alex Newhook to Canadiens for Gianni Fairbrother, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

Newhook needed a change in scenery. Just wasn't going to progress up the lineup with Colorado looking to win, he fell down the depth chart.

Montreal I think made a good bet on Newhook but a bit expensive. I forsee Colorado flipping those picks to add another bigger piece...perhaps Debrincat?

Um..am I missing something? How is Newhook worth this much? Habs lose out on PLD so this is their consolation?

I guess if Newhook breaks out next season then Kent Hughes would look like a genius. But right now looks like Sakic is showing what asset management should be once again. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canadiens rebuild over?

Interesting. I might be wrong afterall thinking the top 5 pick moving is just all chatter. Their most likely dance partner is Nashville. Man I hope Kent Hughes knows what he's doing here. 

I guess in a way it makes sense. Habs draft position is actually very awkward. They're the first to pick after the top 4. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Alvin should package the 11th overall with Garland and Rathbone for the 5th overall. 

Montreal is a great target. I wouldn’t even be against trading Podz as much as I want him to succeed. He’s at that boom or bust point imo

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canadiens rebuild over?

I don't think they trade that 5th overall before their selection is up though.   I'm guessing they want Carlsson, Smith or Fantili and don't want to take the chance on Michkov.   So they'd pull the trigger on a trade unless someone in the top 4 takes Michkov

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I wouldn't move Podz, simply cuz even if he doesn't become a top 6 guy, he's very capable as a solid bottom 6 guy.

Hoglander is either gonna be top 6 or nothing.  I'd move 11th OA and Hoglander for 5th OA.

I don’t want to move him either. It’s just one of those things. I hope he’s great but don’t want to miss an opportunity either. 

Let’s see what happens! 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Montreal is a great target. I wouldn’t even be against trading Podz as much as I want him to succeed. He’s at that boom or bust point imo

If only. Montreal needs size with Suzuki and Caufield as their core so it makes sense. I would move Podz in a package for the 5th overall, but his development hasn't been what we expected. Unless Kent Hughes still sees potential I don't think he'll bite. 

• Cheers 2

Seems to be a shortage of centers out there, probably a by-product of teams locking up centers to longer term contracts over the last few years. So glad we locked up JT. I am fearful that we may overpay for Barbashev though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, rekker said:

Seems to be a shortage of centers out there, probably a by-product of teams locking up centers to longer term contracts over the last few years. So glad we locked up JT. I am fearful that we may overpay for Barbashev though.

Don't think Barb is in our price range. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Canadiens rebuild over?

So they sit on their hands for over a year when Dubois was in their back pocket, only to accelerate things now by paying a premium for an unproven Newhook.

Now considering moving out of #5 when Michkov (who's further away) will be available to them. Hmm. I guess we'll see how it all goes for them.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't think Barb is in our price range. 

I know we desperately need a capable 3C and he's a Dan Milstein client, but can't continue to make the same mistakes. Barbashev played on the top line as a winger on a stacked Vegas team. If we're paying him top 6 money I'm certain we'll regret. 

2 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I know we desperately need a capable 3C and he's a Dan Milstein client, but can't continue to make the same mistakes. Barbashev played on the top line as a winger on a stacked Vegas team. If we're paying him top 6 money I'm certain we'll regret. 

He’s been a good player his entire career. I wouldn’t give him 7 years or anything like that but he’d be a welcome addition regardless where he plays.