The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Alex Newhook to Canadiens for Gianni Fairbrother, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

newhook still has tons of upside.  could be a point a gamer soon. 

Especially if MSL works the same magic he did on Caufield and Dach.  Realistically he’s likely going to be a middle 6 winger 

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

They probably could have got Lafreniere, better not be another Drouin type trade.

Montreal gave up a 9th OA right shot beast in Sergechev for Droiun. They’re just giving up essentially 2 2nds here.  It’s in no way similar 

Big return for a young small center who's only cracked 30 points. Smart move by the Avs to move on from him and get something in return - he's not their answer at center, they need to really focus on that spot and get some quality in there or retain their current guys.

Late 1st and high 2nd gets you a future top-4 defensive pairing. Fairbrother is an average prospect, may well never play in the NHL.

Newhook does have some potential but I don't think his ceiling will ever be very high. Maybe he'll crack 60-70 points if he's lucky one day. I could see him as a softer Max Domi I guess.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron said:

Newhook still has upside obviously but risky move for Montreal 

Maybe it's kind of like Dach and he succeeds with a more set role and a little freedom to be the guy ... I don't know myself as I never seemed to catch many Avs games and when I did they seemed to contain MOAR Mackinnon and Rantanen and Makar.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

So ... two pieces of scrap and the 11th OA for the 5th OA? Haha .... yeah right. :frantic:

Funny how someone who's probably never played a lick of professional sports is so willing to call those who have scraps. 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Same thing they did with Dach. Taking a chdnce on a young pjs yet who hasn’t met expectations yet.  They have a lot of prospects and draft capital and are utilizing it to get guys who fit with their core.  They now have Dach, Caufiejd abd Newhook from the 1st round of the 2019 draft  

Glad that you are weighing in on this topic. Your knowledge of the Habs has always been pretty reliable. Good to see your measured take, rather than the usual “Wtf is Bergevin still running the show in MTL” that we see in these parts. :)

• Upvote 2