The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Teddy Blueger

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As much as I'm interested to see what Blueger can do, I honestly think I'd rather Allvin have signed Geekie - who ended up getting about the same amount, but for 2 years.

Haven’t seen enough of Blueger but was 5th C on Vegas so look at essentially as the latest version of Tim Schaller, Curtis Lazar, Dickinson etc. Defensive minded forward who played role well on other team and may or may not do well here. 
I liked Geekie when saw him, seemed to be good player that stepped up on expansion team. Whenever we played them thought, would like to see him with us. 
Still think we are a third line Right Shot centre short of a complete lineup and that we have a bad mix of tiny wingers in bottom six. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Haven’t seen enough of Blueger but was 5th C on Vegas so look at essentially as the latest version of Tim Schaller, Curtis Lazar, Dickinson etc. Defensive minded forward who played role well on other team and may or may not do well here. 
I liked Geekie when saw him, seemed to be good player that stepped up on expansion team. Whenever we played them thought, would like to see him with us. 
Still think we are a third line Right Shot centre short of a complete lineup and that we have a bad mix of tiny wingers in bottom six. 

Yeah, I agree. He may benefit from more ice time, but I think he was signed more for his PK ability than his offensive ability. Which would have been great as a 4th line C, but not so much a 3rd line C. And if he doesn't produce in that position, I really don't know who we'd end up putting as 3c. Joshua may be more effective as a winger, and he's not really 3rd line material. Aman I'm not sold on (at all). Maybe they went with a stop-gap for this year, and are expecting Raty to develop well enough to slot into the 3C next year? Not really sure what the plan is....

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I agree. He may benefit from more ice time, but I think he was signed more for his PK ability than his offensive ability. Which would have been great as a 4th line C, but not so much a 3rd line C. And if he doesn't produce in that position, I really don't know who we'd end up putting as 3c. Joshua may be more effective as a winger, and he's not really 3rd line material. Aman I'm not sold on (at all). Maybe they went with a stop-gap for this year, and are expecting Raty to develop well enough to slot into the 3C next year? Not really sure what the plan is....

I think with Blueger, we have enough guys that can cover the spot. I am willing to go with Teddy and play the third line as a shutdown line. Lines 1 and 2 can play a lot and suck up all the offensive opportunities. We can always hope we dump a winger for a better 3C but I think the team is basically set now. Vast improvement over Dries, or Studnicka. We will also have Raty in the wings.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think with Blueger, we have enough guys that can cover the spot. I am willing to go with Teddy and play the third line as a shutdown line. Lines 1 and 2 can play a lot and suck up all the offensive opportunities. We can always hope we dump a winger for a better 3C but I think the team is basically set now. Vast improvement over Dries, or Studnicka. We will also have Raty in the wings.

With Pearson being ready for camp, I feel it's we'd be better off moving one of our top-six capable wingers in return for a true 3C who can do it all - then move Blueger down to the 4th. And personally, I believe we'd be best off selling high on Beauvillier to make that happen:

Kuz Petey Mik

Garland Miller Boeser

PDG Colton/Sturm Podz

Hoglander Blueger Joshua
Studnika, Dries, Aman

Hughes Soucy
Cole Hronek

Hirose/Wolanin Myers

I'm not necessarily saying we should be actually acquiring either Colton or Sturm - only that those are the kind of guys I think we should be generally targeting.

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

With Pearson being ready for camp, I feel it's we'd be better off moving one of our top-six capable wingers in return for a true 3C who can do it all - then move Blueger down to the 4th. And personally, I believe we'd be best off selling high on Beauvillier to make that happen:

Kuz Petey Mik

Garland Miller Boeser

PDG Colton/Sturm Podz

Hoglander Blueger Joshua
Studnika, Dries, Aman

Hughes Soucy
Cole Hronek

Hirose/Wolanin Myers

I'm not necessarily saying we should be actually acquiring either Colton or Sturm - only that those are the kind of guys I think we should be generally targeting.

Yeah that's the hope. A real possibility our glut of wingers are untradeable without a sweetener. If that's the case I'm happy to roll with Blueger. Who out there is even available ... I'm not seeing a real viable path to getting a better 3C. Sturm is quite good at face-offs as well but is he that much better than Blueger? 26 points and a bigger body ... is that really that much of an upgrade. I think I would almost prefer Blueger and his defensive acumen. Seems a bit redundant.

Colton has already been signed by someone hasn't he? I would say at this point we have made some significant upgrades ... maybe it's time to chill and see how the year goes before trying to do too much and end up trying to undo things we just did.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah that's the hope. A real possibility our glut of wingers are untradeable without a sweetener. If that's the case I'm happy to roll with Blueger. Who out there is even available ... I'm not seeing a real viable path to getting a better 3C. Sturm is quite good at face-offs as well but is he that much better than Blueger? 26 points and a bigger body ... is that really that much of an upgrade. I think I would almost prefer Blueger and his defensive acumen. Seems a bit redundant.

Colton has already been signed by someone hasn't he? I would say at this point we have made some significant upgrades ... maybe it's time to chill and see how the year goes before trying to do too much and end up trying to undo things we just did.

Pius Suter is still available as UFA, as is Sundqvist AFAIK.

Hard to say if there are any 3C available via trade... Maybe Goodrow off the Rangers given they're tight to the cap. But so are we now so that makes that a tougher trade now.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hard to say if there are any 3C available via trade... Maybe Goodrow off the Rangers given they're tight to the cap. But so are we now so that makes that a tougher trade now.

Yea I’m good with either of those UFAs. Prefer Sundqvists size an cup experience though.

The perfect trade would see us trading Garland for someone like Backlund or Sissons.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pretty clear our new #53 will fit into our lineup better than our last centre to wear # 53. Allvin bringing in high character guys. 

Awful take is awful. 

Bo had 2 less goals last season than Blueger has had points the last 3 seasons. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea I’m good with either of those UFAs. Prefer Sundqvists size an cup experience though.

The perfect trade would see us trading Garland for someone like Backlund or Sissons.

Yup, but I doubt Sissons is available, and I doubt Calgary would prefer trading with us... Plus we'd need to find another ~$450k of cap.

We’ve addressed a bunch but still have a ways to go toward rounding out the roster. 

cap restraints prevents us from further adding. 

Moving a winger + Myers would allow us to add a 3rd C, a bottom 6 winger and probably give us the cap for a top 4 D(finding one available may be more of an issue). 

It may probably take another offseason to further address these issues as there’s a lot of cap off the books in 2024. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Is Suter that much better than Blueger though? I confess I haven't seen him much. 24 points, 5'11", 175 lbs. The key with Blueger is his defensive acumen. I would wonder why they didn't just sign one of these other guys instead though if that was the intention. We already have Aman ... it doesn't seem to be a wise decision to throw $1.9 in random cap at Blueger without a set position to play and already a surplus of players.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Is Suter that much better than Blueger though? I confess I haven't seen him much. I would wonder why they didn't just sign one of these guys instead though if that was the intention. We already have Aman ... it doesn't seem to be a wise decision to throw $1.9 in random cap at Blueger without a set position to play and already a surplus of players

Blueger likely gets a shot at 3C while Åman sticks at 4C 

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Is Suter that much better than Blueger though? I confess I haven't seen him much. I would wonder why they didn't just sign one of these guys instead though if that was the intention. We already have Aman ... it doesn't seem to be a wise decision to throw $1.9 in random cap at Blueger without a set position to play and already a surplus of players

Better offensively, yes. A little less face off prowess and PK ability, probably going to require more cap and term than Blueger (unless he "Klingberg's" himself). Which would all probably be more of a roadblock to Raty.

But for the right price (if we had cap), we could easily use both (or Blueger + Sundqvist).

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Better offensively, yes. A little less face off prowess and PK ability, probably going to require more cap and term than Blueger (unless he "Klingberg's" himself). Which would all probably be more of a roadblock to Raty.

But for the right price (if we had cap), we could easily use both (or Blueger + Sundqvist).

I think I would rather have Blueger than Suter tbh. Sundqvist has size but I'm not sold on us having to upgrade there unless it's a definite upgrade. If the cap space comes then sure but how long is an issue too.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think I would rather have Blueger than Suter tbh. Sundqvist has size but I'm not sold on us having to upgrade there unless it's a definite upgrade. If the cap space comes then sure but how long is an issue too.

Blueger probably fits our biggest need (face offs, PK, defensive play) better, to help free up easier ice for Petey/Miller, certainly. And his contract/term is pleasantly low risk and not remotely a road block.

Suter would just be (really nice) additional depth that would create more match up problems for the opposition, give us better injury depth at C etc (while not remotely being a slouch defensively either).

Again, though, that's closer to an "ideal" or "contender" lineup that, while certainly nice, I'm not expecting ALL to happen this offseason.

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Pretty clear our new #53 will fit into our lineup better than our last centre to wear # 53. Allvin bringing in high character guys. 

Put the bottle down amigo...

For all the things Bo was/wasn't, he was a good player for us. 
Don't blame him for getting fed up with losing, and chasing the dollars instead. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

So basically you're saying he'll REALLY fit in given Horvat fit into the lineup quite well here.

• Cheers 1