Out

Luke Schenn    318 hits

K Burroughs     165 hits

In

Soucy               143 hits

cole                   117 

Blueger              71 hits

Irwin                 117 hits

While fighting is dying out, it is still part of the league, and the drop in hits is also concerning.

Looks like a trade of toughness for penalty killing.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1

20 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Out

Luke Schenn-    6 fights last season

K Burroughs-     8 fights

In

C Soucy            2 fights

I Cole                1 fight

T Blueger          0 fights

Matt Irwin          4 fights

Out

Luke Schenn    318 hits

K Burroughs     165 hits

In

While fighting is dying out, it is still part of the league, and the drop in hits is also concerning.

Jules will boost up the hit #'s if he's in Van

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Out

Luke Schenn-    6 fights last season

K Burroughs-     8 fights

In

C Soucy            2 fights

I Cole                1 fight

T Blueger          0 fights

Matt Irwin          4 fights

Out

Luke Schenn    318 hits

K Burroughs     165 hits

In

Fights are whatever, but the hit totals were a result of our horrible possession play.  You throw more hits chasing the play than you do if you we're in control of the puck.

While it remains to be seen if our defensive play and PK improve, the new additions provide some versatility and size that should make a difference compared to last season.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Also missing Hronek and his 100+ hits.

I'll wait to see if, and how, he plays next year before adding him in.

Shoulder injuries worry me.

Edited by Gurn

I've been saying it for over a decade, we are way to soft, started with AVs bubble gum chewing, turn the other cheek attitude and festered into what we are today, a team who nicknames their player huggy bear. This team has no hope till they address this attitude yet sadly I'll keep hoping for a miracle for another 50 years.

19 minutes ago, Wise Guy said:

I've been saying it for over a decade, we are way to soft, started with AVs bubble gum chewing, turn the other cheek attitude and festered into what we are today, a team who nicknames their player huggy bear. This team has no hope till they address this attitude yet sadly I'll keep hoping for a miracle for another 50 years.

None of us can predict the future but if there is any coach in the world who can teach tough hockey, we got him.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

12 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

None of us can predict the future but if there is any coach in the world who can teach tough hockey, we got him.

I hope you're right but changing the culture of a team is a tough job and I'll always be hopeful but the logical side of me says we're a long ways off from being a legit contender.

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't equate being soft to not fighting (or even hitting) much...it's overall physicality for me. The quality of hits matters to me as much as quantity. Timing and whether or not it pulls a guy out of the play. Finishing checks, being hard to move off the puck, etc.

I do hope that Soucy uses his size a bit more/better than Myers does...it's few and far between with Myers but he certainly has the capability to lay out some huge hits. I used to love it when Edler stood guys up at the blueline...more of that kind of toughness.

Myers uses his stick and throws his body on the ice like a speedbump more often than he moves guys off the puck physically. I like him best when he engages more.

I equate being to soft or tough as attitude, a 5'10" guy making a hit after one of his teammates got hit is a statement that you're a tough team, skating away and no one doing anything let's the other team know they can get away with it.

2 minutes ago, Wise Guy said:

I hope you're right but changing the culture of a team is a tough job and I'll always be hopeful but the logical side of me says we're a long ways off from being a legit contender.

We are a long way away but we have had quite the personnel change in the last few years,  the entire front office and coaching staff, our former captain who likes to tell people things for free, half our D core.

I'm excited for next year, I'm really trying to not have high expectations cause I'm sick of being disappointed. So I'm just excited too see what brand of hockey we play. I also hope that by the all star break we finally have a "team identity".

There has been many conversations about this teams identity or lack there of for 10 years or so. I hope they give Miller the C, he's Tocchet's guy and I think having a guy like Miller captain Tocchets team will fast track that identity coming to fruition.

GCG!