The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Tony DeAngelo

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Does this take them out of the Karlsson sweepstakes?

I don't think they were in the sweepstakes. I read somewhere in the past week that Karlsson made it clear he didn't want to play in Carolina because he can't stand Brent Burns. Anybody else read or hear that?

Edited by Curmudgeon

It feels pointless to bring him in when they already have Burns.

They brought in Ghost last deadline to have 2 purely offensive D and it didn't do much for them.

They have one of the best D corps in the league. No need to tinker too much with it.

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think they were in the sweepstakes. I read somewhere in the past week that Karlsson made it clear he didn't want to play in Carolina because he can't stand Brent Burns. Anybody else read or hear that?

Could contain: Baby, Person, Cartoon, Face, Head

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

It feels pointless to bring him in when they already have Burns.

They brought in Ghost last deadline to have 2 purely offensive D and it didn't do much for them.

They have one of the best D corps in the league. No need to tinker too much with it.

They lack dynamic offensive weapons and that’s what he is. The rest they can figure out. 
But getting rid of Pesce and bringing Karlsson in is very questionable.

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't know if he can't stand Burns, but having both is redundant as there is only one puck on the ice and they both play the same role. I just don't see it as a fit to have both on any team. 

3 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

Isn’t this cap cirmcumvention?

No, not by NHL definition, it has been over a year since they traded him. The only reason the Philly deal fell through was because it was a week before 1 year since trading him and there was salary retention involved. 

Edited by canuck73_3

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I read this too, but what I didn't read was a compelling reason to believe it. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't know if he can't stand Burns, but having both is redundant as there is only one puck on the ice and they both play the same role. I just don't see it as a fit to have both on any team. 

Thank you. Just checked and saw he played for Philly last season.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I heard that as well, from a source in Pittsburgh, who actually does not want Karlsson.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's going to drop 50-60 points as a 1.6M player which is pretty nuts, all drama aside. Might end up being the best bang for your buck player next year apart from say Bedard.

When you're as much of a liability as DeAngelo is in his own zone, it doesn't matter how many points you put up.  His defensive play doesn't even approach an acceptable standard and he threw a tantrum when Torts threw him in the press box for refusing to even try to play like an NHLer.  He's absolute trash on the ice as well as off it.

• Upvote 1