The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

45 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It certainly has.  But that Penguins roster has a bunch of Conn Smythe winners, don't they?

The trick is to put those individuals in to a TEAM, that remains to be seen. As we have seen before, some things look good on paper..........................::D

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

And somehow they got 'younger' in the deal :mellow:

They still have 12 players age 30+.

And 4 players are age 35+, of which 3 are their cornerstone guys.

I wouldn't say they got significantly younger. But it's understandable if like having the Sedin's you don't want to part with players that meant so much for your franchise.

• Upvote 1

Wow, Pittsburgh easily wins this trade.  Only had to give up a 1st to get the Norris trophy winner.  Karlsson could break Orr's record for points next season.  Pittsburgh is gonna score their way to victory.

They also managed to dump alot of contracts and will have like $19 million in cap space for 2024.  So they could potentially go after a big name free agent next season.

The rumour has it that Dubas wants Matthews as a UFA next summer.  He allowed Toronto to have his NMC kick in, so now he's gonna screw over his former team and take Matthews to Pittsburgh for free.  Genius move by Dubas really.  Toronto is so screwed, they can't even trade Matthews this year, so they will lose him for nothing.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

21 minutes ago, mll said:

The rumoured deal was Labanc for Myers 1-for-1 per Seravalli.  SJS has been trying to trade Labanc ever since Grier took over.  Feels like it was cap dump for cap dump and not real interest in Myers.  Also SJS pulled out of the trade.  

Glad we didn’t do that…I’d rather have Myers until the TDL vs another smallish ~5M inconsistent winger who doesn’t PK.

Thought there was some element of Myers filling a RD void left by Karlsson.  They could also be interested in flipping him at the deadline for a pick, to support their rebuild

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The trick is to put those individuals in to a TEAM, that remains to be seen. As we have seen before, some things look good on paper..........................::D

On paper this team still consists of a bunch of proven playoff performers who've played with each other for nearly two decades now.  The big guys are old but they can still play very well when healthy.  Obviously injuries is the primary concern with all of them (including Karlsson), but can you really fault Dubas for going all-in while the core is still intact?  Do you want them to whittle away just like Washington did?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Glad we didn’t do that…I’d rather have Myers until the TDL vs another smallish ~5M inconsistent winger who doesn’t PK.

Thought there was some element of Myers filling a RD void left by Karlsson.  They could also be interested in flipping him at the deadline for a pick, to support their rebuild

SJS only has 1 retention slot left.  Myers has the highest cap hit of all UFA Ds.  SJS won't be a good team so challenging to put up decent numbers.  Pretty unlikely to trade him at 6M and even at 3M is high as other teams also retain to facilitate trades.  Would need to use double retention just to bring him level cap wise to other 3rd pairing Ds available.  They'll likely get a better return using their lone retention slot on someone else.  

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd probably do that deal.

Just probably? That would give us two chances at Celebrini, with 1 if not 2 more lottery chances in the following years. That's before you include all the rest of it. I want Hughes to be captain, but even I would take that deal and run. Lol. Cause it would also likely mean a haul for Petey too. And we can probably move Demko as well for more assets.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

On paper this team still consists of a bunch of proven playoff performers who've played with each other for nearly two decades now.  The big guys are old but they can still play very well when healthy.  Obviously injuries is the primary concern with all of them (including Karlsson), but can you really fault Dubas for going all-in while the core is still intact?  Do you want them to whittle away just like Washington did?

I don't know if I am going for another championship and I have offensive weapons like Crosby, Malkin and Letang, is my priority to pay that much for another offensive weapon? 

With a Cap system, you can only spend a certain amount on all your needs and going top heavy ala Toronto does not always become a recipe for success.

If it was me, I would have looked for complimentary players to play with Crosby or Letang or Malkin or go after a shut down defenseman. 

I suspect they will do fine in the regular season and even make it to the playoffs , but I don't see them doing much more then that TBH.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably pretty easy ask at the TDL. Are Montreal tanking again or trying to be competitive this season?

It's tough to know.  They're a better team than they showed last year because they were decimated by injuries. Suzuki was the only guy to play every game.  They have a very young team.  I don't think Hughes and MSL are interested in tanking  but I don't think they'll rush the process too much  either.  The move today made sense on a lot of fronts.  I think you'll continue to see Highes make moves like that.  Moving their extra late 1st for a high talent but yet to break out guy like Newhook (and last year with Dach) certainly shows the path they're taking.  

Dach, Caufield and Newhook are all from the same draft class. Suzuki is only a bit older. Slafkovsky is a wild card right now.  

They have young NHL  quality D by the fistful, with more coming.  

I think they're looking to be competitive down the road. But not too far down the road 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

I get the feeling that the trade that we might be looking at is Myers for Granlund now. I think I heard rumors we were looking at acquiring him a while back. Who knows though.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, mll said:

SJS only has 1 retention slot left.  Myers has the highest cap hit of all UFA Ds.  SJS won't be a good team so challenging to put up decent numbers.  Pretty unlikely to trade him at 6M and even at 3M is high as other teams also retain to facilitate trades.  Would need to use double retention just to bring him level cap wise to other 3rd pairing Ds available.  They'll likely get a better return using their lone retention slot on someone else.  

Doesn’t matter if the return is Labanc. I’d be interested in Rutta and Sturm, though. 

If their goal is Celebrini (which seems obvious) they may be open to a trade.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I get the feeling that the trade that we might be looking at is Myers for Granlund now. I think I heard rumors we were looking at acquiring him a while back. Who knows though.

I don’t hate it…addresses our center depth for 2 years, and it should be buying low.

• Cheers 2