The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Evan Bouchard to sign 2-year extension for an AAV of $3.8 million

A really solid signing up against the cap. 

Yeah not great in his own end based on advance stats and what people are saying here, but put up crazy good numbers offensively. Looks about ready to breakout as a major offensive Dman in the league. Definitely trying to set himself up for a big contract in a few years. 

(Saw this on twitter)

"Evan Bouchard since being put on PP1:
33 Games — 9 Goals — 36 Points — 89p Pace — +8 — 6 PPG — 23 PPP (!) — 65 Shots $3.9m for 2 years."

Edited by Bobby James
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1
  • elephant 1

On 8/23/2023 at 3:16 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

If you want real talk, Bouchard has the potential to hit 60+ points this year playing 22 minutes a game and playing all 2 minutes of each powerplay.

The problem is in two years, when they have to re-sign him AND Leon Draisaitl.  The only other players coming off the books is Warren Foegele and Cody Ceci.  That means they have at least two years to really go for it, and then they'll fall into a serious cap crunch.

This is what I have been telling my Oiler fan co-workers here in Albertabama. They have a narrow window to compete and with their two biggest stars contracts coming up this contract might add to their issues if Bouchard puts up the points I think he can on that Power play.  I also think players are going to take shorter contracts like Matthews did. Revenue is up and barring.another pandemic the cap will continue to rise. Why lock yourself in for 8 years when you can do four and really increase your earnings potential down the line. I absolutely despise the Oilers but this is a very reasonable contract for what Evan brings to this team. That Nurse contract is another story ;)

On 8/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, higgyfan said:

The only player on the Oilers that is overpaid is Nurse.  You can argue about Bouchard, but those 17pts

in 12 playoffs game last season makes Oiler fans happy going forward.

Meanwhile, the Canucks have Boeser, Beau, Garland, Myers and multiple years of paying OEL's buyout.

Yep.  17 points and still a -4.

Great signing for the Canucks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

This is what I have been telling my Oiler fan co-workers here in Albertabama. They have a narrow window to compete and with their two biggest stars contracts coming up this contract might add to their issues if Bouchard puts up the points I think he can on that Power play.  I also think players are going to take shorter contracts like Matthews did. Revenue is up and barring.another pandemic the cap will continue to rise. Why lock yourself in for 8 years when you can do four and really increase your earnings potential down the line. I absolutely despise the Oilers but this is a very reasonable contract for what Evan brings to this team. That Nurse contract is another story ;)

The more Bouchard scores, the better for Edmonton.  The real issue is if he struggles.  Without that legendary powerplay, what do the Oilers even have going for them?

• There it is 1

On 8/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, Bobby James said:

A really solid signing up against the cap. 

Yeah not great in his own end based on advance stats and what people are saying here, but put up crazy good numbers offensively. Looks about ready to breakout as a major offensive Dman in the league. Definitely trying to set himself up for a big contract in a few years. 

(Saw this on twitter)

"Evan Bouchard since being put on PP1:
33 Games — 9 Goals — 36 Points — 89p Pace — +8 — 6 PPG — 23 PPP (!) — 65 Shots $3.9m for 2 years."

And he's a RHD.   This was the guy I wanted more then QHs ... said I made a mistake and own it,  EDM didn't even have a jersey ready with his name, because they didn't think he'd go that late.    Dobson, QHs, Bouchard ... who's going to end up with the best career (Dahlin appears to finally getting to where he was supposed to be)?   Goals from the blue line is something we haven't had in what seems like forever.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And he's a RHD.   This was the guy I wanted more then QHs ... said I made a mistake and own it,  EDM didn't even have a jersey ready with his name, because they didn't think he'd go that late.    Dobson, QHs, Bouchard ... who's going to end up with the best career (Dahlin appears to finally getting to where he was supposed to be)?   Goals from the blue line is something we haven't had in what seems like forever.   

Hopefully we'll start to see that with Hughes setting up Hronek on the PP. 

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

7 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Hopefully we'll start to see that with Hughes setting up Hronek on the PP. 

Yes.    Know it was a slow start (tried it a couple times) but watching some of his lasers ... Hronek should be able to add some goals from the blue line.   Soucy is a wild card too, he did score ten goals two seasons ago in 64 games, 9 even strength.   Maybe working with Gonchar will help (said working with Gonchar and Foote was a part of choosing us).   

We've been near the bottom in the league for goals from the D for a very long time now.    Question is, if we add Hronek to the first unit, who do we take off it?   And will Hronek score more than Brock?    Brock seems pumped for this season.   Nice thing is, maybe now we can have a second unit as well. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

Horvat? :bigblush:

Hey aGENT.   Remember when I was super pissed we didn't draft Bouchard?  6'2", RHD, best backwards skater and was overtaking OJ his draft plus one in London?   Just going to put this out there ... QHs was a better pick.   Own that.   However,  Bouchard just scored a pile of points in the playoffs ... Like Paul Coffey level stuff ... and some have Bouchard getting more points next season.   Lol. 

On 8/25/2023 at 4:07 PM, Nooks said:

Yep.  17 points and still a -4.

Great signing for the Canucks.

Yip. 17 points on a powerplay with McD and Drai which looks impressive, but is a pumped stat and could be in jeaprody as reffs have caught onto the diving Oilers. The minus 4 is indicitive of Bouchards lack of hockey sense in his own zone. He's brutal in his own zone. He's the oppositions best player when the puck is in his own zone. Lol.

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hey aGENT.   Remember when I was super pissed we didn't draft Bouchard?  6'2", RHD, best backwards skater and was overtaking OJ his draft plus one in London?   Just going to put this out there ... QHs was a better pick.   Own that.   However,  Bouchard just scored a pile of points in the playoffs ... Like Paul Coffey level stuff ... and some have Bouchard getting more points next season.   Lol. 

And as I said, he was always going to be a 2nd pair ceiling "Barrie" type with below average skating, who couldn't defend. I'd still WAY rather have Hughes, Dobson or Miller, just like at the draft :P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Yip. 17 points on a powerplay with McD and Drai which looks impressive, but is a pumped stat and could be in jeaprody as reffs have caught onto the diving Oilers. The minus 4 is indicitive of Bouchards lack of hockey sense in his own zone. He's brutal in his own zone. He's the oppositions best player when the puck is in his own zone. Lol.

Yup, put him in... Let's say Chicago or ARZ last year. What do his numbers look like without Mc-Drai inflated points and O zone possession...

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:42 AM, IBatch said:

Here's to hoping Hronek can deliver on that shot I've heard so much about. Man would it ever benefit QH to have a partner with a nice "Salo-like" clapper from the point.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, put him in... Let's say Chicago or ARZ last year. What do his numbers look like without Mc-Drai inflated points and O zone possession...

I think Holland sees it as well. Hence the shorter two year extension. If Holland truly believed Bouchard was the bomb he would of found a way to lock up more years.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Here's to hoping Hronek can deliver on that shot I've heard so much about. Man would it ever benefit QH to have a partner with a nice "Salo-like" clapper from the point.

Yes.   A laser would be awesome.   QHs shots are great for tip ins.   Would be tough for opposing goalies have to guess and deal with what is coming next with two skilled defenseman manning the points. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

And as I said, he was always going to be a 2nd pair ceiling "Barrie" type with below average skating, who couldn't defend. I'd still WAY rather have Hughes, Dobson or Miller, just like at the draft :P

For me it was either Dobson or Bouchard, and i'm sure you know which way I was leaning.    Just had an impossible time getting around QHs height and size, and also felt we needed a RHD, JB seemed to only ever draft LHDs.    Before the draft he looked like the 12-13 year old kid who was  waiting for his  growth spurt when me and my brothers grew up, .. seeing him and Edler side by side after a play actually made me laugh out load a couple of times, took some time to get used to.   Wasn't completely against it, the skill was undeniable, figured we could always move him upfront, he was sure no Chris Chelios (small d-men from earlier era's), who even fought Tony Twist once and was freakishly strong for his size.    Games changed.   But one

thing that I loved about QHs scouting cards, was his compete was 5/5,  and times have a changed too.   Only other D's close his size I remember doing well,  Rafalksi and Brian Campbell, and of course Housley.     A part of me still wonders how he's going to endure rigours of a perrenial playoff team,  Vegas made him a virtual non-factor pretty quickly.    Actually did the same thing to Stetcher, decided to start putting the puck on their side whenever they were on the ice, it worked.   Myers was the only guy (with Motte and Demko), that seemed to be able to handle that size of team and constant pressure.   

QHs was fine against MIN and St. Louis, and seems to be durable and driven.    Love him now just to be clear, and in no way expect Bouchard to be a better D-man, other than maybe because of circumstance putting up a lot of points.   QHs can control the pace.   Like Brian Campbell could.   He was CHI best D when we had that rivalry until he was off to Florida. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me it was either Dobson or Bouchard, and i'm sure you know which way I was leaning.    Just had an impossible time getting around QHs height and size, and also felt we needed a RHD, JB seemed to only ever draft LHDs.    Before the draft he looked like the 12-13 year old kid who was  waiting for his  growth spurt when me and my brothers grew up, .. seeing him and Edler side by side after a play actually made me laugh out load a couple of times, took some time to get used to.   Wasn't completely against it, the skill was undeniable, figured we could always move him upfront, he was sure no Chris Chelios (small d-men from earlier era's), who even fought Tony Twist once and was freakishly strong for his size.    Games changed.   But one

thing that I loved about QHs scouting cards, was his compete was 5/5,  and times have a changed too.   Only other D's close his size I remember doing well,  Rafalksi and Brian Campbell, and of course Housley.     A part of me still wonders how he's going to endure rigours of a perrenial playoff team,  Vegas made him a virtual non-factor pretty quickly.    Actually did the same thing to Stetcher, decided to start putting the puck on their side whenever they were on the ice, it worked.   Myers was the only guy (with Motte and Demko), that seemed to be able to handle that size of team and constant pressure.   

QHs was fine against MIN and St. Louis, and seems to be durable and driven.    Love him now just to be clear, and in no way expect Bouchard to be a better D-man, other than maybe because of circumstance putting up a lot of points.   QHs can control the pace.   Like Brian Campbell could.   He was CHI best D when we had that rivalry until he was off to Florida. 

If I remember correctly, Hughes wasn't supposed to be available when we picked. I was surprised Detroit Zadina, which meant, it was a no-brainer to choose Hughes. 

He was a standout at 18 years old playing with men at the World Championship. 

14 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

If I remember correctly, Hughes wasn't supposed to be available when we picked. I was surprised Detroit Zadina, which meant, it was a no-brainer to choose Hughes. 

He was a standout at 18 years old playing with men at the World Championship. 

Actually Zadina was supposed to go 3-4.   QHs went close to around where he was supposed too, a little bit early on some lists and can't remember any who had him in the top five.    The lists I follow all had Zadina ahead of QHs.   Bouchard was also ahead of him on some too.   EDM didn't even have a jersey ready for him, because he was supposed to go 5-7.      The debate was Svecknikov or Zadina at the time ... 2-4.  Of course Dahlin was going number one.   QHs vs Adam Boqvist was a debate too.   Who should go ahead of whom.    Surprised both the small D's went before Bouchard and Dobson.   Brady T was considered a legit 2-4 pick too.   MTL went off board though.   Picking the best ranked center of the draft ahead of guys who supposedly were better. 

Edit: For sure some luck for us meant we got the man we wanted.   He didn't really fall on our lap though.   I didn't mind the pick at the time, but didn't get why another LHD after OJ so recent.   Was hoping Brady T might slip. 

Edited by IBatch