The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RT calls out ownership for no practice facility

Rate this topic

grandmaster

I'm not sure why the angst on here. Other than the usual b!tching about ownership.

The Canucks did not have a practice facility in 1982, 1994, and 2011. Are folks implying the reason we don't win is because we don't have a full time practice facility?

It's not like the team can't practice at home games at Rogers Arena. UBC has the correct size rink for practices. How is that any different when the team was at 8 rinks?

If this is a real issue I'm sure the team can chat with the Vancouver Giants and share a facility. Is this just an ego thing? What is missing that the team can't do?

The team has gym facilities, video facilities, access to coaching. I'm trying to figure out the drama over this? The team has already been fined for having coaches

talking to players on their designated time off.

Honestly this seems to be a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not sure why the angst on here. Other than the usual b!tching about ownership.

The Canucks did not have a practice facility in 1982, 1994, and 2011. Are folks implying the reason we don't win is because we don't have a full time practice facility?

It's not like the team can't practice at home games at Rogers Arena. UBC has the correct size rink for practices. How is that any different when the team was at 8 rinks?

If this is a real issue I'm sure the team can chat with the Vancouver Giants and share a facility. Is this just an ego thing? What is missing that the team can't do?

The team has gym facilities, video facilities, access to coaching. I'm trying to figure out the drama over this? The team has already been fined for having coaches

Every other team is able to practice together in the offseason at designated practice facilities.

It would help our slow starts. We were able to use 8 rinks much more frequently than ubc. I don't know whatever happened to that. It would be nice to be able to practice at scotiabarn again. It's a good stop gap anyway 

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is a poor argument. Its quite similar to some of the arguments against analytics, 'the 70s Canadiens and the 80s Oilers teams didn't use analytics so why bother with those analytics nerds.'

If it wasn't useful then teams wouldn't be investing millions of dollars into it, and now that every team makes use of it, it puts you at a disadvantage if you don't have one. The game and times evolve, and if you aren't willing to change to adapt to those times then you get left behind. It doesn't only apply to the NHL either, it can be applied to any industry/business, 'Adapt or die'.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is a poor argument. Its quite similar to some of the arguments against analytics, 'the 70s Canadiens and the 80s Oilers teams didn't use analytics so why bother with those analytics nerds.'

If it wasn't useful then teams wouldn't be investing millions of dollars into it, and now that every team makes use of it, it puts you at a disadvantage if you don't have one. The game and times evolve, and if you aren't willing to change to adapt to those times then you get left behind. It doesn't only apply to the NHL either, it can be applied to any industry/business, 'Adapt or die'.

So the Canucks lose early because we don't have a designated practice facility?

Not because of the schedule?

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the Canucks lose early because we don't have a designated practice facility?

Not because of the schedule?

How did you get that from my post? :huh:

If a practice facility wasn't an advantage then teams wouldn't spend millions building one. The Canucks going to the Finals in 1982, 1994 and 2011 is a poor argument for why one is not needed. The Canucks having a poor start could have to do with a number of factors, one of which could be the lack of a practice facility but it is not the sole determining factor obviously.

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

If a practice facility wasn't an advantage then teams wouldn't spend millions building one. The Canucks going to the Finals in 1982, 1994 and 2011 is a poor argument for why one is not needed. The Canucks having a poor start could have to do with a number of factors, one of which could be the lack of a practice facility but it is not the sole determining factor obviously.

I don't think this is true at all.  In the off-season, coaches aren't even allowed to be on the ice with their players, so it's all up to the players to organize something.  Too many things that go into organizing practices together with everybody.  I'm sure if the players really wanted to be in town and start together they could, but that would be on the leadership group to organize something.

23 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Michael Richards Yes GIF

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Many American cities don't have multiple ice sheets available to them the way cities in Canada do 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

This is a serious question, so don't take it as baiting.  What's the benefits of having their own practice facility and how much use do you think they'd actually get out of it?

• Wat 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

This is a serious question, so don't take it as baiting.  What's the benefits of having their own practice facility and how much use do you think they'd actually get out of it?

For one it will always have ice available to the guys. Rogers has events that cover the ice. Plus all the workout and rehab stuff. And it’s a place where the boys can hang out. I thought you played so would understand the “boys” club mentality? 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For one it will always have ice available to the guys. Rogers has events that cover the ice. Plus all the workout and rehab stuff. And it’s a place where the boys can hang out. I thought you played so would understand the “boys” club mentality? 

The issue is having ice available during the summer, not during the season. During the season, Rogers Arena is available almost every day in the morning, events aren’t usually scheduled until the evening. Also, the boys are on the road for 50% of their games, so having ice available in Vancouver doesn’t matter for half the season. 

Most players leave Vancouver and go back home in the summer. Even if the Canucks had a full time practice facility, Petey and Hughes wouldn’t be around to use it until August at the earliest. So we are talking maybe 5-6 weeks in the summer before training camp. 

3 hours ago, Toews said:

Most cities in the US don’t have a lot of ice available, so the teams needs their own practice facility. A lot of teams don’t own their rink either, so it makes it even more difficult to control. 

How many ice rinks are available in Florida, Carolina, Dallas, Nevada, etc.?  There are probably more ice rinks available in Vancouver than in all those states combined. 

If the boys really wanted to practice together in the summer, they could easily find an ice rink in Vancouver. The Hughes brothers skated together all summer long in Michigan. Problem is guys leave Vancouver and go home and don’t come back until August. Also, the coaching staff isn’t allowed to have contact with the players in the summer. Vancouver got fined just a few months ago for organizing stuff after the season ended. 

At the end of the day, it’s a nice bonus to have your own practice facility, but I think the players and fans are more concerned about upgrading Rogers Arena, which seems to be Aquilini’s main focus right now. 

• Cheers 2