The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RT calls out ownership for no practice facility

Rate this topic

grandmaster

17 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Good on the coach not being afraid to say things. No spin.  

Management needs to get it done. 

Why, exactly?  And RT wasn't calling out ownership in any way, imo.  He was just answering a question 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The issue is having ice available during the summer, not during the season. During the season, Rogers Arena is available almost every day in the morning, events aren’t usually scheduled until the evening. Also, the boys are on the road for 50% of their games, so having ice available in Vancouver doesn’t matter for half the season. 

Most players leave Vancouver and go back home in the summer. Even if the Canucks had a full time practice facility, Petey and Hughes wouldn’t be around to use it until August at the earliest. So we are talking maybe 5-6 weeks in the summer before training camp. 

image.gif.d492851b78a208ded0bfa7ae2cb112c7.gif

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The issue is having ice available during the summer, not during the season. During the season, Rogers Arena is available almost every day in the morning, events aren’t usually scheduled until the evening. Also, the boys are on the road for 50% of their games, so having ice available in Vancouver doesn’t matter for half the season. 

Most players leave Vancouver and go back home in the summer. Even if the Canucks had a full time practice facility, Petey and Hughes wouldn’t be around to use it until August at the earliest. So we are talking maybe 5-6 weeks in the summer before training camp. 

I don't see that as being such a huge issue in that the owner of the Arena is the same person that owns the team. The Canucks are the main breadwinner so they should have the higher priority imho.

• Cheers 1

On 9/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, stawns said:

Why, exactly?  And RT wasn't calling out ownership in any way, imo.  He was just answering a question 

I didn't say he called them out.  The article title did.  

‘'We don't have a practice facility (and) Rogers Arena was under construction. There's a lot of things that we just don't have, so I can't really blame the players."

A "lot of things that we just don't have"...he's complaining by just stating the facts.  A more careful coach may word it differently.  When a resource issue is being admitted in public, it's really a criticism of the management, and indirectly the owner.  Someone is not able to provide it.   I don't care how the media spins it.  It's obviously an issue for them and coach isn't thrilled.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That being said still having your practice facility on a university campus would seem a little Mickey Mouse.

Hopefully this story is simply a leak to gain leverage in other negotiations.

With Vancouver real estate pretty much the only two option are to tear down pacific colosium or replacing existing rinks. 

If they gonna tear down PC, they might as well just build a new arena with a practice facility in it cause that location is gonna be the eventual new arena site once Rigers reach EoL. That option is out.

They can't just build a world class practice facility in any random community center so that just leave university campuses that can use a new rink or have the land needed to build a nhl training center for both the team and the university. Likely to get more gonverbment grant and cost sharing with the university that way.

Teaming up with UBC or SFU was pretty much the only option left once the plaza of nation (pretty much the only large piece of land left in the downtown core) fell through. 

That said, teaming up with SFU in Burnaby and up that mountain instead of UBC is mind boggling. 

But it looks like SFU is more willing to pursue NCAA division 1 compared to UBC so probably more willing to dough out and work with the Canucks. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That being said still having your practice facility on a university campus would seem a little Mickey Mouse.

Hopefully this story is simply a leak to gain leverage in other negotiations.

I assume that the practice facility would also however allow more revenue avenues as they could rent out the space to the SFU team and maybe minor hockey tournaments throughout the year. I certainly would also draw more students interest considering this team likely lost a generation or two of fans during their mediocre years.

I can see a big plus because SFU is a very secluded area so players wouldn't be bothered much and has nice facilities too such as their gym and workout areas.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I assume that the practice facility would also however allow more revenue avenues as they could rent out the space to the SFU team and maybe minor hockey tournaments throughout the year. I certainly would also draw more students interest considering this team likely lost a generation or two of fans during their mediocre years.

I can see a big plus because SFU is a very secluded area so players wouldn't be bothered much and has nice facilities too such as their gym and workout areas.

Only issue I see with UBC is a lot of wealthy folks live out there. You get the same facilities. A lot easier to get to.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They don't need a practice facility for the winter.  They can just use Rogers Arena.  Also, they'd be on the road for 50% of the time.  The practice facility would be mostly used in the off season...

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure they could get a bunch of provincial and city money kicked in.

Not an ideal location however being 40 minutes from downtown.

A brand new facility would be nice though.

According to google, SFU is 27 minutes from Rogers Arena and UBC is 24 minutes from Rogers Arena.  Depending on traffic, the travel time is almost identical...

If the Canucks are not using a practice facility for 1/2 the year. I'm finding it odd why this is such a big deal.

The coaches can't work with the players in the offseason, as it's against the players union rules.

(Hence why in spring during the playoffs when some Canucks coaches was attending a scrimmage with some Canucks players and the team got fined)

You can still go to UBC or any other year round facility. UBC has fitness facilities, gyms, and lots of students who are studying sports medicine etc. Until the summer break.

So why the big stink about a practice facility?

• There it is 1