The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do you think of how the Power Play will be run this year by committee as compared to last season? Will it improve or decline?

Rate this topic

Dr. Crossbar

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with this statement.  And it pretty much is what Tocchet was saying as well.  Just let them go out and play with their natural talents.  I am not sure an actual system would work with a guy like Hughes roving around.  The Sedins can help the forwards and Gonchar can help Hughes and Hronek.  Tocchet knows how to score from in front of the net.  They have everything covered really.  At the end of the day, it's up to the players to execute.  

Well, we know what a lack of systems look like, so more systems exposure from the likes of Gonchar, Sedins, and Tocchet certainly can't hurt. They should be able to tighten and sure up any weaknesses.  I agree, they do have it all covered. I am curious how Hronek will be used between PP1 and 2. 

• Cheers 1

I’ve often thought that bad powerplays look like they are over-coached. Predictable plays are easy to stop, and I think skilled players need to be creative and read the opportunities they see on the ice in the moment. As long as it’s drilled in to the players to stay defensively aware and not give up any shorties, let them do their thing! I think there’s enough really smart and creative players on the team to make this work. 

Caveat: I have never coached hockey a day in my life and am pulling this all out of my butt. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

I’ve often thought that bad powerplays look like they are over-coached. Predictable plays are easy to stop, and I think skilled players need to be creative and read the opportunities they see on the ice in the moment. As long as it’s drilled in to the players to stay defensively aware and not give up any shorties, let them do their thing! I think there’s enough really smart and creative players on the team to make this work. 

Caveat: I have never coached hockey a day in my life and am pulling this all out of my butt. 

Creatively Hughes, Petey, and Miller especially look really comfortable on the PP. They have great chemistry and look dominant when there's more room. I'm guessing they're extremely confident in relying on and know where the other is going to be. That cycle to Petey on the half-boards, and cross pass to Miller down below. I wonder what a Hronek point shot looks like. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Creatively Hughes, Petey, and Miller especially look really comfortable on the PP. They have great chemistry and look dominant when there's more room. I'm guessing they're extremely confident in relying on and know where the other is going to be. That cycle to Petey on the half-boards, and cross pass to Miller down below. I wonder what a Hronek point shot or Hronek looks like. 

Well, I’m not sure what it looks like, but it has to be better than Huggy Bear’s. I seriously hope he has been working on that this summer.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, we know what a lack of systems look like, so more systems exposure from the likes of Gonchar, Sedins, and Tocchet certainly can't hurt. They should be able to tighten and sure up any weaknesses.  I agree, they do have it all covered. I am curious how Hronek will be used between PP1 and 2. 

Hronek’s usage on the PP will be interesting.  His best position is on the half wall with the one timer. He has a great shot. In order to get him on PP1 you probably have to take off Kuzmenko and have Miller higher up.  

The other issue is who is in front of the net.  Maybe you put Kuzmenko close to the net looking for tip ins. Ideally you want Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller and Kuzmenko as your PP1. So you gotta figure out how to position them all. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Creatively Hughes, Petey, and Miller especially look really comfortable on the PP. They have great chemistry and look dominant when there's more room. I'm guessing they're extremely confident in relying on and know where the other is going to be. That cycle to Petey on the half-boards, and cross pass to Miller down below. I wonder what a Hronek point shot looks like. 

Here is Hronek on two different power plays. The first one he is up high on the half wall and scores on the one timer. The second one he is on the right side and cuts into the middle of the ice again for a one timer. I think he can be moved around so we have options with him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek’s usage on the PP will be interesting.  His best position is on the half wall with the one timer. He has a great shot. In order to get him on PP1 you probably have to take off Kuzmenko and have Miller higher up.  

The other issue is who is in front of the net.  Maybe you put Kuzmenko close to the net looking for tip ins. Ideally you want Hughes, Hronek, Petey, Miller and Kuzmenko as your PP1. So you gotta figure out how to position them all. 

I found this video of our power play below from February 2023. 

With Hronek, we have another weapon on the opposite half-wall of Petey plus the point. From this clip, he'd replace Boeser and we'd be running two D ... but Hronek has that deadly shot both from the half-wall and point. Kuz replaces Bo, Miller or Petey takes draws.

Man, if Boeser can find that shot again this season, it'll give us more PP options.

• Cheers 1

I think Tocchet wants to put it in the hands of the team leaders. Hughes, Petey, Miller and Kuzy with the Sedins being the PP coachs/advisors.  The question is, without Bo what's our #1 PP going to look like?  Is Boeser the 5th man?

PP1 maybe

Kuzy - Miller - Petey

Boeser - Hughes

PP2

Garland - Podz - Hoglander

Hronek - ? 

• Cheers 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:07 PM, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, last season, despite our defensives woes, PK, and horrible goaltending, we still had a great power play. In fact, our power play was ranked 11th in the entire league. 

Gone is Jason King in favor of Tocchet, Gonchar, and the Sedins running the power play by committee ... with the players input. 

What do you think of how the power play will be run this year by committee as compared to last season? Will it improve or decline?

I tend to think ... don't try to fix what isn't broken but all of these guys are winners as compared to King's track record.

Here's what Tocchet said in his recent interview ...

Sportsnet: Your coaching staff changed slightly when Jason King, who had worked for both Boudreau and Travis Green before you, was let go in the summer. So, who will run the power play?

Tocchet: Sergei Gonchar and the twins (Daniel and Henrik Sedin), and I'll take a big chunk of it for now, and then we'll go from there. I'll be honest with you, I'm going to really rely on that core group of guys on the powerplay to come up with ideas.

With all the scoring talent on this team I think it will look more cohesive simply through better structure and different voices implementing the team plan. 

The potential is vast and I think the PP and offense in general will be good just look a little different.        

Overall change is encouraging. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/8/2023 at 2:55 AM, Pure961089 said:

I think Tocchet wants to put it in the hands of the team leaders. Hughes, Petey, Miller and Kuzy with the Sedins being the PP coachs/advisors.  The question is, without Bo what's our #1 PP going to look like?  Is Boeser the 5th man?

PP1 maybe

Kuzy - Miller - Petey

Boeser - Hughes

PP2

Garland - Podz - Hoglander

Hronek - ? 

For PP2 I would have suter as centre and podz beside Hronek 

suter can take face offs and has Enough offensive for the PP.

Hronek and Podz both have good/strong shots that I can see being deadly from the back end 

• Cheers 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:11 PM, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't see Gonchar/Sedins' innovation during their playing years as a measure of coaching ability.  Glen Gulutzan has zero NHL playing experience but I'm sure his coaching history helped Edmonton craft the strongest powerplay of all time.

We are a 1-unit powerplay, where 5 or 6 players will attack for the entire two minutes.  Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, and Kuzmenko are locks.  So that leaves the fifth player.  Boeser again?  Or should Hronek come in and abandon our 1-3-1 in favour of a more classic overload system?

The second bit.    The team allowed 14 short handed goals last season, tied for most in the league.   Nothing is a deflating (Boston series) as that, and with a few shot options available to them now from the point,  and excess wingers, could see them working on developing a second unit.    Hronek has a laser,  Coles shot is heavy, and Soucy is did score ten two seasons ago, without PP time.    Know Hronek didn't look sharp in limited time, but do think when healthy, they will split the time more.   

• Cheers 1

Power Play one:

Miller EP Brock

Huges Hronek 

Power Play two:

Kuzmenko Suter Garland/Podz 

Soucy Cole/Myers

Thats how I see it anyways.   If everyone is healthy.   One of the reasons Soucy signed with us, was the chance to work with Gonchar.   He's at the right age to be given a shot, and of the guys we signed this summer, was brought in to develop his game.  

Edited by IBatch

On 9/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, ilduce39 said:

Personnel is the most important thing and in that, the PP is the most stable thing from last year.  

No disrespect to King, who was a part of a good thing… but we’ll likely miss Bo more than him, if anything. 

Teams going to miss Bo as the bumper/tip guy.    Brock likely takes that spot.   QHs/Miller/EP the only locks for the first unit though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Teams going to miss Bo as the bumper/tip guy.    Brock likely takes that spot.   QHs/Miller/EP the only locks for the first unit though. 

LMAAOAV we will not miss Bo Horfat Wallet. He was the cheating elephant in our room. New Beau proved to be a better player. Plus we got Hronek (and elite right shot D) and Raty (a great centre prospect) We should be thanking the hockey Gods that Horfat Wallet is gone. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

LMAAOAV we will not miss Bo Horfat Wallet. He was the cheating elephant in our room. New Beau proved to be a better player. Plus we got Hronek (and elite right shot D) and Raty (a great centre prospect) We should be thanking the hockey Gods that Horfat Wallet is gone. 

Brock has shown with his time with us, he can be the best player on the team any given night, or a period of games.   Get the criticism is warranted.   He's a good passer, and we all know he can shoot the puck.   Bad luck has to run out sometime right?  Who'd have known he'd suffer a hand injury.   When Tochett took over, he bought in and was fine.   One last year isn't going to kill us (seeing if Brock can elevate and stay elevated).  Beau was fine with EP too, off his line though ... So do think we can find other options 

Edited by IBatch

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Horvat is the best bumper in the NHL and Beauvillier is a cap dump.  We would have to pay money to trade him away.

Just because Horvat is overpaid doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic scoring option.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Horvat is the best bumper in the NHL and Beauvillier is a cap dump.  We would have to pay money to trade him away.

Just because Horvat is overpaid doesn't mean he was a fantastic scoring option.

Horfat Wallet is a useless puck sucker. He plays for another team now. It’s time to bring the hate. After the trade New Beau was the better pkayer and that’s inarguable fact. Horfat Wallet will suck the life out of the Islanders’ room. That’s what elephants do. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Just because Horvat is overpaid doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic scoring option.

Credit to Bo but come on he plays with Petey and Hughes on the powerplay. I think any player with a quick accurate release could find success there.

Similar to Nugent Hopkins in Edmonton, good player but look who he plays with. Difference is he’ll be making 3.5 mill less than Bo.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1