The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Quinn Hughes as captain

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, poetica said:

There is your problem.

How exactly am I trying to "stir up trouble" when I'm literally saying it's not a big deal and they made the right choice? So what trouble? For whom?

And no one said they had made a decision, but that doesn't mean they didn't talk to him about whether or not he'd be interested. We know they talked to Bo about whether or not he was interested in the C long before it was offered. It's not unusual or controversial.

Again you’re quoting an article (interview) from soon after Bo was traded. Clearly the club wasn’t going to name a captain quickly after moving on from Bo. It’s Petey answering a question the best he can in a language that isn’t the one he uses most. He simply got his verb tense mixed up. The club didn’t offer him the Captaincy. He meant if they did he’d need to think about it. He expected the decision about the club choosing a Caotain to happen over the summer. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Facts work. 

I believe it was last year where one of the reporters or? asked him about the Captaincy, but it was clear that he was going to take the summer to think about it, and it looked like he wasn't comfortable with it. Does anyone else remember this and can recall the details better than I can? 

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

I believe it was last year where one of the reporters or? asked him about the Captaincy, but it was clear that he was going to take the summer to think about it, and it looked like he wasn't comfortable with it. Does anyone else remember this and can recall the details better than I can? 

Yes. I remember this too. Petey was asked by a reporter if he would be okay with being Captain if offered to him. He said he was a quiet guy and wanted to focus on his play. He didn’t say the team had offered the role to him. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Again you’re quoting an article (interview) from soon after Bo was traded. Clearly the club wasn’t going to name a captain quickly after moving on from Bo. It’s Petey answering a question the best he can in a language that isn’t the one he uses most. He simply got his verb tense mixed up. The club didn’t offer him the Captaincy. He meant if they did he’d need to think about it. He expected the decision about the club choosing a Caotain to happen over the summer. 

Sure, Alf.

If it makes more sense to you that the team wouldn't bother to talk to one of our main guys about whether or not he'd want the job, especially if they thought it might factor into his decision to re-sign, have at it.

I mean, it's insulting to both the team and Petey, but okay.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

This announcement and its timing  will lead to a unified group on and off the ice. Good things to come. 

PS. I called it 

Either QH or JT would do just fine imo. My money is on Quinn. 

Just as important as who is captain is getting the decision made and announced prior to seasons puck drop. 

Failure to designate a captain prior to opening night is just going to create yet another distraction contributing  to uncertainty amongst the players and fanbase as to this teams identity. 

We already have key players whose start date is questionable. Seems like every year has turmoil of one sort or another before we’ve even played a game. Would be nice to have a season start with minimal unknowns and distractions. 

Your gold star is in the mail. 

JK, good call. I agree with everything you said in your original post.:)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, poetica said:

Sure, Alf.

If it makes more sense to you that the team wouldn't bother to talk to one of our main guys about whether or not he'd want the job, especially if they thought it might factor into his decision to re-sign, have at it.

I mean, it's insulting to both the team and Petey, but okay.

You’re suggesting the club offered Petey the captaincy and he said no. Clearly the team didn’t offer him the role. He was speculating on what his response would be if the role was offered. He said he would need to think about it over the summer. 

Edited by Alflives

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Would you or would you not say that naming Hughes captain was a beary sweet piece of work?

Beary nice choice indeed. Definitely one that won’t polarize the group. Looking forward to some great Kodiak moments for Quinn. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

EP’s english is fine for whatever situation. The guy is focusing on his career and wanting to become the best version of himself on the ice. If that doesn’t include taking on the role of captain so be it, and all power to him if he ever saw it as too much of a responsibility in his career at this point in time. I’d rather see a continual 100+pt, thriving EP than an 80pt EP bogged down by something he might not be uncomfortable with.

Whether it was offered or not is redundant now. The best all around representative for the team has taken the mantle. Thankfully he’s also a key figure to our future. It’s 100% solid. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You’re suggesting the club offered Petey the captaincy and he said no. Clearly the team didn’t offer him the role. He was speculating on what his response would be if the role was offered. He said he would need to think about it over the summer. 

I'm suggesting they asked if he'd be interested because I'd be shocked if they didn't. (I'm sure they talked to Hughes before too. Because of course they did.) And I think he likely said no for whatever reason (not ready to commit long-term or, like Tocchet said in an interview about him still being too uncomfortable talking with teammates off the ice, whatever.)

But you're free to think whatever you want.

31 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Best comment I’ve seen all day some clown on Spittin Chiclets post said making Quinn Hughes captain is a bigger debacle than Messier :lol:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Oh brother. Should rename their podcast to Spittin Brain Cells. What few they have left.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, poetica said:

I'm suggesting they asked if he'd be interested because I'd be shocked if they didn't. (I'm sure they talked to Hughes before too. Because of course they did.) And I think he likely said no for whatever reason (not ready to commit long-term or, like Tocchet said in an interview about him still being too uncomfortable talking with teammates off the ice, whatever.)

But you're free to think whatever you want.

Here’s your first post on the topic.

It was widely reported that he was thinking it over during the summer. I think everyone knows it was his if he wanted it”

Then you quoted and article suggesting Petey was offered the role. 

I’m saying Petey was not offered the role. You’re saying he was. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Quinn Hughes as Captain is the right call for this team.  At just 23 years old he'll be a fun captain for his team-mates as he stikes me as someone who can easilly put together team events.  He'll be a great spokesperson for the team.  Under-rated around the league, he'll be even more so appreciated in Vancouver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Miller the proud Papa.

Petey I don't want to be here look.

Demko, the annoyed older brother seeing their younger brother surpass him. 

JT looks like he farted and got away with it.Petey does look thicker, can’t wait to see him repeat another 100 point season . Demers looks healthy and just ready to go. He’ll be in the vezna running hands down.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Here’s your first post on the topic.

It was widely reported that he was thinking it over during the summer. I think everyone knows it was his if he wanted it”

Then you quoted and article suggesting Petey was offered the role. 

I’m saying Petey was not offered the role. You’re saying he was. 

Actually that was my second post (in response to someone else's response to my first post.) You even reacted to my first post.

And I still stand by everything I said. Sorry to hear your version of what I've said is bugging you so much.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, poetica said:

His grasp of English is good enough to understand the situation. And he certainly knows more than we do about the conversations he'd had. And he said that he was thinking it over.

Of course it is. People rarely say they will think over things they aren't being offered.

I genuinely don't understand why some people need to be so contrary.

Perhaps what he meant by thinking it over is how he would respond if by chance he was offered the captaincy? 
You are not right or wrong, It can be taken either way.

We will never know unless someone in the know says it outright.

• Cheers 1