The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] VAN - NJD BLOCKBUSTER

Codez27

While I knew a Hughes would be involved before even looking at the proposal, I didn't expect it to be the other 2 brothers coming to Vancouver.

As sweet of a marketing wet dream as it would be to have 3 Hughes' on our team, if Huggy was ever to be united with his brothers, it'll be Quinn going the other way. If it ever does become a consideration between NJ and VAN, you better believe Vancouver would be wise to over-ask for payment, in hopes that New Jersey wants the 3 together so bad that they are willing to sell the the farm to make it happen. As they should; players like Quinn (and his bros) don't come around often.

Wonder if they would take Petey and Hronek for Hughes x 2.  They don't really need the rest of the stuff outside of Petey (unless we do Petey's + another decent asset like Lekkerimaki (UNLESS D-Petey really pops off, in which case perhaps we can trade them across) for Hughes x2).

17 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder if they would take Petey and Hronek for Hughes x 2.  They don't really need the rest of the stuff outside of Petey (unless we do Petey's + another decent asset like Lekkerimaki (UNLESS D-Petey really pops off, in which case perhaps we can trade them across) for Hughes x2).

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Petey +Hronek +1st or 2nd.

The Hughes brothers are a symbol of the future for NJ.  I think we would have to pay above market value to get them.  

2 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Petey +Hronek +1st or 2nd.

The Hughes brothers are a symbol of the future for NJ.  I think we would have to pay above market value to get them.  

Literally next to no one cares or even knows who the Devils are in that region. The Hughes boys will soon get tired of no publicity in that market and want out. Petey + Hronek for them is more than fair. And we actually lose that trade. 

17 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Jack has more value than Pettersson. He's 2 1/2 years younger. Put up an 43 goals 99 points in 78 games and is locked up for another 7 years on onecof the best value contracts in the league.  EP 40 is two years away from UFA status and if he does sign with the Canucks it'll be for substantially more than $8m a season 

I can't see any circumstance where they'd move Hughes straight across for Pettersson, let alone swapping Luke for Hronek (who is far more expensive,  has big question marks regarding his health and is also 2 years away from ufa status) 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Jack has more value than Pettersson. He's 2 1/2 years younger. Put up an 43 goals 99 points in 78 games and is locked up for another 7 years on onecof the best value contracts in the league.  EP 40 is two years away from UFA status and if he does sign with the Canucks it'll be for substantially more than $8m a season 

I can't see any circumstance where they'd move Hughes straight across for Pettersson, let alone swapping Luke for Hronek (who is far more expensive,  has big question marks regarding his health and is also 2 years away from ufa status) 

Of course Jersey would move both Jack and Luke for Petey and Hronek. It’s a trade we lose big time so we’re saying no. Our two guys are both better offensively and absolutely defensively. 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I agree.  Petey and Hronek would be $20 million in cap space next year.  Jack and Luke would be only $9 million.  And Jack is locked up for 7 more years at $8 million.  Cap wise the trade doesn't even work.  

For New Jersey to even consider it we'd have to give them Petey plus a bunch of younger players on ELC's.  Something like Petey, Podkolzin and maybe D-Petey...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Petey and Hronek would be $20 million in cap space next year.  Jack and Luke would be only $9 million.  And Jack is locked up for 7 more years at $8 million.  Cap wise the trade doesn't even work.  

For New Jersey to even consider it we'd have to give them Petey plus a bunch of younger players on ELC's.  Something like Petey, Podkolzin and maybe D-Petey...

If you were NJ would you move the two Hughes brothers for an unsigned Pettersson and a bunch of underwhelming young players/prospects? 

9 hours ago, Codez27 said:

Van:

Petey

Hoglander 

Boeser (50% retained)

2nd round pick 

Njd:

Jack Hughes

Luke Hughes

Petey is and will be the better all around player, but both are superstar centers.  Luke Hughes looks like a top pairing dman and sooner than later.  I think you'd have to change Hoglander to Willander and the 2nd to a 1st to get them to bite.  The problem is Luke is a puck mover like Quinn and Hronek.  There wouldn't be enough pucks and pp time to go around.  I would leave this alone and stay the course.  

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Petey is and will be the better all around player, but both are superstar centers.  Luke Hughes looks like a top pairing dman and sooner than later.  I think you'd have to change Hoglander to Willander and the 2nd to a 1st to get them to bite.  The problem is Luke is a puck mover like Quinn and Hronek.  There wouldn't be enough pucks and pp time to go around.  I would leave this alone and stay the course.  

Yup. As much fun as it would be to have the three brothers here we lose the trade because Petey is by far the best player. Hronek is way better than Luke too. IMHAO Luke Hughes will be the weakest of the three brothers. He lacks smarts so will be bad defensively. 

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If you were NJ would you move the two Hughes brothers for an unsigned Pettersson and a bunch of underwhelming young players/prospects? 

Obviously, New Jersey does this only if they can sign Petey to an extension.  Petey is a better player than Hughes.  Offensively and defensively.  We are talking about a potential 120-point player who can win the Selke.  If he is on that New Jersey team, Petey might be able to win the scoring title.  Podkolzin is a nice piece for New Jersey, he would literally be their biggest forward.  I am actually high on D-Petey.  I think he is an Edler clone.  At the end of the day, it all depends on what New jersey thinks of our younger players and who they are high on.  For all we know, they could really be in love with Podkolzin.  He had 14 goals as a rookie, so there is alot of potential there.

If I am New Jersey, I probably am not trading the Hughes brothers right now, as there is no reason to.  It's just a hypothetical trade at this point.  I'm sure New Jersey thinks Luke can be a top pairing Dman so they will wait to develop him...