The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

1 minute ago, brilac said:

You know, I was thinking that too! I've been laid off three times in my working life. When being laid off / when things come to an end, it's great to reflect and look forward to great opportunities. It's like when one door closes, many doors open up!

There's a great board pinned at the top of the page! 

Glad you made it over!  We need some Seattle representation!

Even if you have to bring that Habs nonsense with you. :bigblush:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Seems they overlooked the part where they may be biting the hand that feeds them....people are already jumping ship and I imagine the website traffic will see a significant drop. I mean, isn't the whole idea behind marketing to be seen by as many as possible? To spread the word? This place had a lot of people who weren't Canuck fans who came here for other reasons...doubt they'll have any reason to ever check in anymore.

This place generated a lot of views that will be looking elsewhere.

I mean, I'll see this thing through on a personal note but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To be shutting people out. As someone said previously...especially when the team struggles. The die hards always hung in here.

I probably wont ever come back to the van cks site once the forum is shut down.  Why would I?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Slept in uncharacteristically late, stumbled into the kitchen to make some coffee and grabbed my iPad to get read some more reaction to lasts night prospects game and noticed right away the splash of red at the top of the forum pages. Needless to say, quite a shocker. Been here since 2006, lurked here for a few years before that. This place had become a habit. Hope I’m not too old to forge another one at a new place. I will explore the options available and see which one feels like it could be home.

Yeah when I logged in after passing the hell out after the game like around 2am, the red at the top of the forum and just below it kind of startled me like it was some warning our website was under attack or something. Then this.. :(

10 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

That may be true, but not every visitor or view is considered equal to the brand. The views and traffic they don't control or see stats of doesn't count much like a brand like Gucci can have knock off vendors around the world manufacturing its goods you can say it's good for the brand right cause it creates extra exposure, more eyes more access to the product with supply but actually that dilutes the brand and the value.

Same for Canucks, they want traffic and brand visibility to only be connected to authenticated and approved sources, to them its beyond traffic and general exposure its about protecting the brand mission, vision and identity.

Well it seems the best way to control that is to have it right here at home. 

Now they'll have no control over the messages.

The brand value is also something conveyed through actions and to shut down the "fans" isn't really a good way to be branded.

I feel this is likely more connected to the NHL than the team...but whatever. If they turn fans away I doubt that's a good plan. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Life's been throwing some curveballs lately, and I'm not sure how much time I can commit to the new forum like I used to here. It's a little bittersweet because I've spent some amazing years with you all, and I've loved being your news ninja, but adulting is catching up with me.

That said, I'm not closing the door entirely. Change can be a wild ride, and who knows, I might find myself back in the game sooner than I think. In the meantime, I encourage all of you to give the new forum a whirl and keep the Canucks spirit burning. I'll still be lurking around there, cheering for our team, and dropping by when I can.

Robots don't need to adult.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Who all is in Penticton to watch the tournament this weekend?  With the forum closing I'd like to invite anyone around and watching out for a drink at my bar.  We're The Hub on Martin.  https://www.thehubonmartin.com/

I am there 8 pm to 3 am bartending.  We serve food until 11 pm and live music starts at 9 pm.  Cover is $10 at the door and all proceeds go to the band.

If anyone is local in Penticton please stop in and introduce yourself.  You'll recognize me by my hat or bib

This would be perfect, if I were there.  Sounds like a blast, hippy!

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Glad you made it over!  We need some Seattle representation!

Even if you have to bring that Habs nonsense with you. :bigblush:

Habs nonsense? !! Huh? Now now, c'mon! You got to admit how habstastic they are! 

You know, there's going to be a Habs-Kraken game coming up in March in Seattle! I already know what I'm wearing! 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Wow........Bummer of the highest magnitude. Really. It truly is.  Guess I'll be hitting those other forums suggested in this thread. Well, we got till the end of this month and then it's sign off for good.

I presume it's just the forum that's going away. Canucks TV and such are still going' on, right??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sativika said:

Wow........Bummer of the highest magnitude. Really. It truly is.  Guess I'll be hitting those other forums suggested in this thread. Well, we got till the end of this month and then it's sign off for good.

I presume it's just the forum that's going away. Canucks TV and such are still going' on, right??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Correct