The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

I'm grateful to this site and Canucks fans. CDC has given me a new world, one that I really like, discussions about my favourite team. I could talk Canucks all day, but unfortunately, my wife will not. :P  CDC has given me hours of entertainment, so many laughs with all of the gifs and statements, the anger and frustration, but it has always been really nice to share that with others like myself. I believe CDC saved me from some insanity during COVID.

I'm also grateful there's a new site for us Canucks fans to congregate and continue that passionate discussion about our team. I look forward to that. The lousy part though, is that I'm not able to access the new site from work.

I wish the CDC would reconsider, maybe treat the fans like they matter. Raising ticket, food/drink and merch prices, and now stifling our conversations - not cool, man. 

Careful of the hand that feeds you Aqua. Without the fans, the Canucks don't exist in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with you in general and was actually going to expand on my answer once I got to my desk and not typing on my phone (had to get the kid out the door as well). Price of the system that drives this at the level I believe its set at is $229 per month, I "think" that's US Dollars and yes, I'm pretty sure that there's enough support within the board to cover that fee through donations.

Last night, I created a poll on this board to get feedback and find out what members really wanted and whether I should continue pushing the issue with Canucks. So far, it's kind of a mixed bag of responses, but the leading option is to Keep Pushing, but if I add up all votes on all options, the general consensus so far is moving towards let this go, but let them know what they have lost as an organization, but also to see what they might be willing do to help the new board that Ribs has created.

To expand on my earlier response of Why I'm doing this, their decision to just walk away and shut down the board I find as very disrespectful, not just to the fan base that in past has made this board a thriving community, but also really to the Administrator, @-SN- and all the Moderators @diesel_3, @Templeton Peck, @b3., @-DLC-, @-Vintage Canuck-, @-AJ- and @Roger Neilsons Towel who put a lot of time and energy into this board with no evidence of any real support from the Canucks organization as a whole. Francesco Aquilini owns this team, but his success with it in Vancouver since he bought it, in my opinion, is due in part to the individuals who have kept this board running smoothly through a lot of team adversity. The Aquilini family paid 250 million for the team and Forbes now estimates that it's worth 1.01 Billion. That increase doesn't happen without a highly engaged and active fan base and all of the individuals I've mentioned above represent a part of that 4X increase in Aquilini's net wealth through keeping fans engaged, even when the on-ice product has sucked.

There's no real simple and easy full answer to your question and I could literally keep writing here for a long time on what I see wrong with Canucks strategy and their thought process around this decision. The only team leadership that I've seen that I truly believe made fans a true part of the organization decision process was Brian Burke. He got out and engaged fans at every opportunity and did the work on the streets to make the hockey market in Vancouver as strong as it is. The rest of them have had a relatively easy ride in this market, largely because of his work and since he left, it's boards like this one that have fostered real fan engagement, far more than the Canucks marketing team.

I think that the Canucks organization would have a really hard time finding anyone on this board who feel that things getting to a stage where they make a decision to just shut it down, is anything less that a total failure to involve themselves and engage with fans and make them feel like they are a part of the success of this team. Everyone here is a part of the teams overall success and we ALL make their jobs necessary.

At the end of the day, no matter where this board resides, I'm asking them to respect it, the people who run it and the fans that they have disconnected from and understand that the failure is 100% on them!

Hope that does a better job of answering your question!

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. And yes, I can certainly also appreciate what a pain it is trying to type on a smaller phone or even iPad keyboard.

Also appreciate the fact you've set up a pole. I think that's the right thing to do. I'd be curious however what kind of response you would get with a pole on the new site. My impression, which could be wrong, is that people on the new forum like it, and have no desire to go back.

I also need to agree with a few other comments that I've seen calling out the organization for saying the CDC has had racist postings. While I've never posted very much and have just recently joined, I have been a long time lurker and I just don't remember seeing any racists comments. I think the organization resorting to these kind of allegations is an insult and quite honestly, if they are going to stoop to that level, it says a whole lot more about them than it says about the members of this forum. Yet one more reason to just walk away.

And finally I really do appreciate your intentions, but as I've already stated I think it has a very real potential to do some damage. I think we've got an opportunity now to walk away and have something even better. And I do worry about the potential consequences if they did decide to reverse course. I think what you are doing might have some benefit, but only after CDC is shut down and the new site is up and fully running. If the new site is generating lots of traffic and is being well run, which I have every confidence it will be, then you would be approaching them from a position of strength. At this point my biggest fear, as I've already stated, is that they do in fact change their mind and keep the CDC going. I think that may have the effect of splitting the community, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you're trying to do.

So for what it's worth, my vote would be to just walk away and let's get everyone over to the new site. And then sometime after that make another approach to the organization.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

• Thanks 2

With canceling this forum I suspect CDC will have very few visitors to their site. People can check the roster, stats and schedules etc anywhere. Besides, I also believe the new forum will provide team updates, video tweets etc anyway. Treating fans like this isn't nice, why would anyone want to visit this site knowing that? 

Edited by Nucker 67
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dude, get them to take the racist statement back please. 

Personally, I don't know where they got that from. Now, keep in mind that the person that came from is not in marketing and really doesn't have any responsibility around fan interaction.

If I'm going to push them further, it will be to get back on a call with the President of Business Operations as he's the one who has control, all the way through the business side of things and would be a direct report to Aquilini.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nucker 67 said:

With canceling this forum I suspect CDC will have very few visitors to their site. People can check the roster, stats and schedules etc anywhere. Besides, I also believe the new forum will provide team updates, video tweets etc anyway. Treating fans like this isn't nice, why would anyone want to visit this site knowing that? 

Short sighted move not unlike one of Jim Benning's specials when he dealt away 1st round picks like candy.  Now we know why he lasted so long as GM.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Personally, I don't know where they got that from. Now, keep in mind that the person that came from is not in marketing and really doesn't have any responsibility around fan interaction.

If I'm going to push them further, it will be to get back on a call with the President of Business Operations as he's the one who has control, all the way through the business side of things and would be a direct report to Aquilini.

One area could likely be from the off topic threads section and what they deem as insinuations about the Russia/Ukraine war discussions, etc.

That got pretty heated at times in there.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Short sighted move not unlike one of Jim Benning's specials when he dealt away 1st round picks like candy.  Now we know why he lasted so long as GM.

CDC should’ve pressed GMJB for an 8year max money contract in his last year.  At least if we were bought out (very likely with a JB contract) we’d still all be made in the shade. 

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, Nucker 67 said:

People can check the roster, stats and schedules etc anywhere

Here are my top five go-to sites to give you all the information you need and want. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/     Database of everybody who ever played hockey. Standings for every league in North America and Europe. I check the 2023-2024 Morning Report every day for scores and transactions.

https://www.capfriendly.com/   Salary information for every team. Has an interactive armchair GM piece where you can build your own team.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/    You can find line scores for pretty much any game in the last 40-50 years, as well as regular stats and fancy stats

https://www.eliteprospects.com/    Stats for anyone playing hockey anywhere hockey is played. Has several good mock draft lists every season.

https://canucksarmy.com/    Local coverage. Chris Faber is the hardest working guy in Sports journalism, and his Blackfish Report on Tuesday is must read Canucks stuff.

https://www.forumcanucks.com/   Our new home.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Last login was 2017 but I heard the news so I had to re-visit once more :( I was like 11 or 12 when I made this account. Huge part of my childhood and you guys made me feel welcomed regardless of how immature I was back then! Thank you for all the memories.

Also, in 2014 I said: 

"look at it this way a few years of rebuilding equals a few years of success it's like a cycle look at Pittsburgh how they got Malkin and Sid or Chicago how they got Toews and Kane the same thing will happen to us in the upcoming years maybe not next season or the other but soon trust me here"

I truly believe this has just happened with the coming of so many talented players on this roster. This upcoming season will be special.

I'll miss you all :)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree with you in general and was actually going to expand on my answer once I got to my desk and not typing on my phone (had to get the kid out the door as well). Price of the system that drives this at the level I believe its set at is $229 per month, I "think" that's US Dollars and yes, I'm pretty sure that there's enough support within the board to cover that fee through donations.

Last night, I created a poll on this board to get feedback and find out what members really wanted and whether I should continue pushing the issue with Canucks. So far, it's kind of a mixed bag of responses, but the leading option is to Keep Pushing, but if I add up all votes on all options, the general consensus so far is moving towards let this go, but let them know what they have lost as an organization, but also to see what they might be willing do to help the new board that Ribs has created.

To expand on my earlier response of Why I'm doing this, their decision to just walk away and shut down the board I find as very disrespectful, not just to the fan base that in past has made this board a thriving community, but also really to the Administrator, @-SN- and all the Moderators @diesel_3, @Templeton Peck, @b3., @-DLC-, @-Vintage Canuck-, @-AJ- and @Roger Neilsons Towel who put a lot of time and energy into this board with no evidence of any real support from the Canucks organization as a whole. Francesco Aquilini owns this team, but his success with it in Vancouver since he bought it, in my opinion, is due in part to the individuals who have kept this board running smoothly through a lot of team adversity. The Aquilini family paid 250 million for the team and Forbes now estimates that it's worth 1.01 Billion. That increase doesn't happen without a highly engaged and active fan base and all of the individuals I've mentioned above represent a part of that 4X increase in Aquilini's net wealth through keeping fans engaged, even when the on-ice product has sucked.

There's no real simple and easy full answer to your question and I could literally keep writing here for a long time on what I see wrong with Canucks strategy and their thought process around this decision. The only team leadership that I've seen that I truly believe made fans a true part of the organization decision process was Brian Burke. He got out and engaged fans at every opportunity and did the work on the streets to make the hockey market in Vancouver as strong as it is. The rest of them have had a relatively easy ride in this market, largely because of his work and since he left, it's boards like this one that have fostered real fan engagement, far more than the Canucks marketing team.

I think that the Canucks organization would have a really hard time finding anyone on this board who feel that things getting to a stage where they make a decision to just shut it down, is anything less that a total failure to involve themselves and engage with fans and make them feel like they are a part of the success of this team. Everyone here is a part of the teams overall success and we ALL make their jobs necessary.

At the end of the day, no matter where this board resides, I'm asking them to respect it, the people who run it and the fans that they have disconnected from and understand that the failure is 100% on them!

Hope that does a better job of answering your question!

Aqua networth not only went up 4x the real value isn't the team sell off its the yearly revenue he generates. Canucks make 30$ million profit, for Aqua $30 mill into his pocket is his biggest yearly investment which exceeds anything he can make from development which isn't paid early but upon completion. 30 mill from Canucks every year pure profit that's the real value.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Addenda

Other sites of interest to Canucks fans:

https://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Vancouver_Canucks/1   Chronological listing of every trade ever made by the Canucks

https://thepolygon.ca/news/the-canucks-a-photo-history-of-vancouvers-team/   Historical photos.

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/   Abbotsford team site

https://theahl.com/  Scores and stats for Abbotsford

https://abbotsford-canucks.mixlr.com/  Web-based live game play-by-play

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/   Annual mock draft, but with historic draft rankings, player profiles, mock drafts and actual drafts

https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/   Enter at your own risk.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:05 PM, babych said:

Been here since 2008. I don't post much, but I do make it part of my daily routine to check stuff out here. 

This makes me sad.

Same.  2006.    What a damned shame.  May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits. (The decision makers) 

Hi

Can someone post the racism claims that I have heard going around about CDC?

Even though this org is amatuer hour and insecure did they really pull a massive shit slinging lie out of their ass as a reason for cosing the forums down?

The mods here kept this joint clean AF. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1