The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favourite CDC Memory

Rate this topic

Apricot

Been so long, I am probably forgetting a lot of great ones.

But what stood out to me most is how often I had to come in here & let everyone know that Naslund was a choke artist, and having 27 people arguing with me..... only to be proven right over & over again.

Also probably arguing with people over the fact the Sedins should be on the #1 line.... till they finally got there. Looking back, its absurd how many fans didnt believe in them, because they thought the WCE were gods.

Also, as CE already said, the Vote For Rory campaign..... everyone in here knows he won the vote..... despite the numbers the NHL magically conjured up in the last day.

Probably 20 White Noise threads that were epic, but I dont remember any.

• Upvote 1

Personally I can't think of a single favorite memory, mostly lurking since 2007 has made too many to remember or count for me. I will agree 2011 is among the best though. I still remember going out for a walk in my '94 Linden jersey after getting into the finals, and people cheering over it after seeing me go by in the jersey.

42 minutes ago, canuckhound73 said:

I remember being SO invested in that.
It was one of the first times I really realized the NHL is corrupt.

You know what’s funny? The NHL tried to do the same thing with John Scott, but the other players stood up for him and he got to play! That was a neat feel good story. So happy for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

What was the name of the lawyer guy. Who drank scotch and lived downtown? The name escapes me. I think he was battling cancer?

I remember him getting into it that a police officer had no right to question him when he was out for a walk at 2 am. I was like, so if you showed your ID the officer would have

told you to be on your way, how does cooperating infringe your rights? Anyways CDC will have some memorable moments for sure.

26 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Makavelli short vid exposing league dbl standards for 'dem Broongoons. It was so well done.

Saniel Dedin often made me laugh..that was long ago. Crazy b*gger was one of a kind.

Personally had battled the blues for a long period. This place was ideal to take one's mind away from matters one couldn't sort out. Thank you to any/all, who kept it interesting, informative, kind, joyful & civil.

Man, I really miss those videos done by Mak. They were absolutely elite. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This is the place that expanded my hockey fandom and I learned about the NHL in ways that poured over into every aspect of my life. 

This was the place that I learned a lot about how expansive an NHL organization is. As a young kid and casual fan, I just saw the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Bieksa, Edler, Luongo, etc. on the ice every game and a lot of success that came with that. I was young and thought that we'd have these players forever and we'd be the best team in the league forever. Once that changed after the Torts year and the Benning hire is when I actually became more invested as a fan, trying to find every possible reason why our success had vanished. That led into learning about concepts like player ageing curves and declines in production, prospect development, drafting, cap management, etc. I remember reading every single post in every prospect thread over a summer and loving every second of it after not even knowing what an NHL "prospect" was a month earlier. 

As I grew up and expanded my mind, one of the biggest areas where I could actually feel that happening was in the hockey world because of all the time I spent on CDC. I went from watching games as a casual fan just hoping for the Canucks to win to following the entire league in detail. It felt like I knew every team's cap situation, roster and prospect pool and every player's cap hit, position, number, handedness, special teams usage, player type, path to the NHL, etc. I could literally feel myself absorbing and applying concepts that I did not have the capacity to years or even months earlier and figuring out how they related and interacted with each other. The entire hockey world and outside world grew exponentially and I grew as a person.  

My favourite time on here would have to be following the 2018 draft. I followed that entire draft year and developed informed opinions on the entire top half of the first round as we knew the Canucks would be in that range and had a chance to land a good player. That was the year of defensemen with Dahlin, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Merkley, Smith and Q. Hughes all potentially in the top-10 early on. It was so much fun tracking the development and ups and downs of each prospect, comparing against different leagues, teams, playing styles, usage, skillsets, potentials, etc. and debating with others on here. I remember by January-ish I declared that Hughes was my favourite prospect of the draft. I jumped for joy, screamed and celebrated harder when we drafted him than I have for anything else relating to the Canucks. Even though I didn't actually have any input on what the Canucks did, it was tremendously satisfying to see my vision align with the Canucks' in one important moment. And now that guy is the Captain of our team. 

The framework that I developed to see the hockey world through is a major part of the framework that I see the world through. This place was the foundation that built that framework. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

There are too many, I just really appreciate there is a community of dedicated Canucks fan who we can share and talk about our favourite team/sport. I made an account and migrating over to the new forum. Hopefully most of if not all of us will all be there.

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

for me, it was family. when iwas stuck and needed help or encouragement cdc family was there. when i needed someone to stay with me after eye surgery in terrace, chon derry came from rupert to make that happen. when my brother died, deb was so consoling and even offered to talk with his wife. many members over the years have offered their support. as the oldest member on cdc, these things mean everything to me. chon derry and j.a.n.i.a.h.n. have both been to my place in smithers, several times. thank you. and deb went to 2 canuck games with me. i will remember.

Please consider signing up at the new forum if you haven't yet.

https://www.forumcanucks.com/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

You know what’s funny? The NHL tried to do the same thing with John Scott, but the other players stood up for him and he got to play! That was a neat feel good story. So happy for him.

Oh yeah, I recall that too. I was jumping out of my chair when he won the MVP, because it was such a huge F U to the league.

• Cheers 1