The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion]Pushing for continuation of this board

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Looking for feedback from fans still here.  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Guys,

So, I have the attention of 2 guys, especially one specifically regarding the ultimate fate of this board. I'm happy to keep pushing this, but only if it is making a difference to fans here and if you're wanting to be heard.

I view their decision to shut down the board as a direct and complete failure of past Canuck Management, Executives and marketing department to engage with this board, it's leadership and moderators and empower them and give them the tools to build, grow and retain membership. Hockey community building and fan creation starts with the type of passionate fans who have been posting in this board for years.

If you want me to keep up a dialog with them and see how far I can take this, then you see the Poll. If you're saying yes, then I would suggest that you also send them an email, all the addresses that I'm about to provide below, are live and accept outside email. They have all seen the initial email that I sent as well as 1 reply to all from the President of Business Operations and then my Reply to All when answering him back on his request to talk.

At the end of the day. if nothing else, I want them to notice THIS board, no matter where it's ultimately hosted and start to engage and help it grow towards the goal of supporting hockey in Vancouver, and it's fans who make their jobs possible. 

If you decide to email the people I'm listing below, please do a reply here so that we can get a running total of how many people are delivering a message of solidarity to them. If you're on Twitter (X), you might want to also try tagging Francesco as well on your thoughts of them shutting this down.

Here's the list of relevant email addresses and their titles. Again, please let me know if you send them a message:

Kelsey Philpott, Senior VP of Marketing

Email: kelsey.philpott@canucks.com

Molly Ray, VP Live Entertainment

Email: molly.ray@canucks.com

Wynn Moody, VP Fan Experience

Email: wynn.moody@canucks.com

Alex Oxenham, Senior Director, Community Engagement & Social Impact

Email: alex.oxenham@canucks.com

Hannah Wilkinson, Director of Marketing

Email: hannah.wildinson@canucks.com

Laurie Block, Director of Partnership Marketing (Don't underestimate her value in this)

Email: laurie.block@canucks.com

Jill White, Director Merchandise

Email: jill.white@canucks.com

Myles McCutcheon, Director of Content

Email: myles.mccutcheon@canucks.com

Craig MacEwen, Director of Communications

Email: craig.macewen@canucks.com

John Delaney, Director of Social Media

Email: john.delaney@canucks.com

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Thanks 1

Let it go. Why would you want the guys who killed CDC to be involved in the new forum? Don't you get it that the new forum is now free from being pressured or influenced or monitored or suppressed by ownership/management? The new forum will prove to be as good or better than CDC. Embrace the change. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Let it go. Why would you want the guys who killed CDC to be involved in the new forum? Don't you get it that the new forum is now free from being pressured or influenced or monitored or suppressed by ownership/management? The new forum will prove to be as good or better than CDC. Embrace the change. 

You make good points. I didn't really think about it that way, now Stealth/Ribs has full control! Cheers.

• Like 1

I don't comment in general anymore and haven't said anything re: the forum shutdown.  But that's because the transition to the new forum has been practically seamless with most of the regulars having made the migration.  And with pretty much everyone there already, there wasn't need to say "goodbye".

We're not losing anything with this forum; I can't remember who posted it on the new forum, but someone pointed out that it's WE, the membership, that make the actual forum community, and now we have our new home, one without the onerous landlords. 

IMO, there's no need to campaign to save this place.  This is just an (internet) address that will be vacant/demolished soon.  The community and its spirit lives on in it's new home.

• Cheers 1

Already moved to the other one. They lost an opportunity to directly involve stakeholders on this earlier on in the process. Marketing hit to the team on this one. We will continue elsewhere and it will lead to less traffic to their site as a result. No marketing opportunities directly through the team anymore.

• Cheers 2

• VegasCanuck changed the title to [Discussion]Pushing for continuation of this board

Okay, based on comments coming through so far, I added one more option to the poll if anyone wants to change their answers. I'm not going to be messaging anyone back at Canucks.com again for a day or two. So far, consensus is just move to the new board, which I'm generally good with. I agree that they have lost a significant opportunity here...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Okay, based on comments coming through so far, I added one more option to the poll if anyone wants to change their answers. I'm not going to be messaging anyone back at Canucks.com again for a day or two. So far, consensus is just move to the new board, which I'm generally good with. I agree that they have lost a significant opportunity here...

Thanks for trying but I would say it's time to move on. They severed the ties with the subset of Canucks fans that supported the team through this message board, who were some of the most passionate fans. 

The ownership vs Canucks fans saga is getting uglier with this move and heading towards the similar fate as the Glazers vs the Man Utd fans.

As the mods and admins weren't paid positions, they really don't have much of a (financial) justification for killing this board. They just wanted to muzzle the fans. I'd say f**k'em.

• Cheers 1

If they're going to close it it'd be nice if they'd host a page that directs folks to the new forum for a couple of months. I don't expect it but it'd be a nice gesture. 

If they want to engage the new board that's something, if they want to help finance it maybe that's an option. 

At the end of the day folks are probably just doing their jobs, there are likely varying opinions from some folks who don't actually have decision making power. We read that there's been pushback in the past on the forum's behalf, maybe we've still got some friends in corporate. 

I think they've lost our trust though, there's nothing to stop them from pulling the plug without notice even if they keep things going. That'd scatter the community, or at least those who aren't connected to others, which is probably most of us. 

A lot of folks have moved on, a lot of folks don't want to be censored. If it's actually a business decision and it's not management folks, players, agents and so on getting their knickers in a twist than so be it. If what's gotten the plug pulled on this place is criticism than the folks in charge need to do some honest to god soul searching, criticism comes with being part of a public entity. They're a million dollar franchise, the owner is a billionaire, their skin needs to be a bit thicker. Criticism, critical takes, views and opinions that don't paint everything in a rosy light or that don't put a positive spin on things, they're going to exist amongst the fanbase with out without this forum. It's something they need to make peace with, they should be thankful they have such passionate, educated fans, fans who know the game and who in many cases have been following this team longer than many of the staff have been alive. 

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

Despite what I've said, I don't wish the Canucks staff ill will despite my vehement disagreement with how they've gone about thing. Just seems like a load of crap and once bitten, twice shy. 

If they want to work to try and earn back our trust it's on them to show up and do the work. If they simply don't care that they've upset the community fans that's come together on their own website? Well, that wouldn't be all that surprising. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Look at the ownership, management, and coaching staff.  This organization doesn't care about professionalism or respect for anyone, let alone the fans.  Pretty much zero chance of management doing the right thing given the track record.

This has nothing to do with management.

This is 100% FA

• There it is 1
  • elephant 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Despite what I've said, I don't wish the Canucks staff ill will despite my vehement disagreement with how they've gone about thing. Just seems like a load of crap and once bitten, twice shy. 

If they want to work to try and earn back our trust it's on them to show up and do the work. If they simply don't care that they've upset the community fans that's come together on their own website? Well, that wouldn't be all that surprising. 

If the prior criticisms that’s already been spoken about every which way. That’s one thing, this decision only confirms what was previously spoken about. What knowledgeable Canuck fan hasn’t questioned things about this team and it’s staff. One thing for sure is this last decision will be the one most criticized and ironically the one they have the least power at stifling.  If they hadn’t of given us so many questionable things to criticize in the first place maybe we wouldn’t of had anything to say. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • There it is 1

25 minutes ago, chon derry said:

If the prior criticisms that’s already been spoken about every which way. That’s one thing, this decision only confirms what was previously spoken about. What knowledgeable Canuck fan hasn’t questioned things about this team and it’s staff. One thing for sure is this last decision will be the one most criticized and ironically the one they have the least power at stifling.  If they hadn’t of given us so many questionable things to criticize in the first place maybe we wouldn’t of had anything to say. 

True that, true that