The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Burrows has also expressed his desire to be involved in management following his retirement.  I hope the Canucks are seriously considering that possibility.  A guy like Burrows who has been a great ambassador and who fought his way into the league only to become a stalwart of this team would be a positive force to have around the team for years to come.  The Canucks have enough and can always get more of the "suits" for their front office.  A guy like Burrows would be able to relate to the players and bridge the gap between management and the room very effectively.

If Burrows pulls together a "vintage Burrows" playoff run with another team he will insure he gets a multi year deal , which, at his age is all he wants for retirement. He gave us a glimpse in that Buffalo game when the Montreal scouts were in the building of " vintage Burrows" 

I like Burrows.  Always have.  It is clear he isn't the same player he used to be but a lot of what we viewed him as was thanks to the Sedins.  It is also what got him his current contract - in conjunction with being UNDERpaid prior to it.  Next season I would love to see him sign a 1 or 2 year deal for a fraction of the price so he could play in our bottom 6. 

With that said, if we can get something for him before the deadline and then I think we really have to.  I really don't see him getting the ice time or having the ability to play lights-out hockey, so it is unlikely another team would offer him significantly more than we could, IMO.  And if I'm right, I'm nearly positive he would choose Vancouver over another club.  This all becomes even more worthwhile if it turns out we lose one of our wingers to the expansion draft, since I'm not sure we have enough forward depth to be able to fill that role with any other player who would likely produce significantly more that he would. 

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am SO tired of hearing this bunk.   You have to be a special kind of player TO have success with the Sedins and Burr did what it took ... stood in front of the net taking whacks and hacks.   Total abuse, but he hung in to provide screens and also to put himself in a position to tip and tap pucks in.

Look at some old video and the eye hand on the fly when he'd grab pucks and go.  Burr's success can't be attributed to others...he has worked HARD to earn that.  Sure, it helps when the Sedins are feeding you the puck but you have to be in a constant position to receive it.

He went to the dirty areas and was dialed right in.  His determination and work ethic were a BIG part of his success.

The key to a successful Sedin linemate: World class ball hockey skills! ;) 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Spoosh said:

I really love the attitude Burrows has displayed over the years. The tremendous steps he took over his career to get to where he is today. I can't deny it, I often found myself getting angry at him for plays he made or penalties he took over the years. He kinda grew on me. I wasn't that big of a fan to start with, but I've been a fan for a long time now. He still holds to date my absolute favourite hockey moment of all time and best goal ever scored by the Canucks when we "slayed the dragon". 

If he has to be moved, I really, really hope JB can work out a deal with the Canadiens to move him there before the deadline. That would be in my mind just about the only fitting place for him right now.

I had forgotten just how happy that made me.  Thanks for posting!

• Upvote 1

On 2017-02-26 at 8:21 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

I think the Sedins do and will get all the credit for the two President's Trophies.  I think the 2011 playoff run will be remembered - by those who watched it - as a Burrows / Kesler accomplishment at least as much as the Sedins.

Both Sedins winning scoring titles were pretty key to the Presidents Trophies. I think that playoff run was all four of them leading the way at various times. What seems to go without notice is that Higgins led the team in game winners (3) on that run. Daniel, Kesler and Burrows with 2 each and Henrik with 1. Both of Burrows and 1 of Keslers were OT winners though. The real truth is it takes an entire team for those accomplishments. Take any two of those four off the team and the Presidents Trophy or cup run becomes less likely. The truth is we had a pretty good team front to back.

• Upvote 3

Put a pin in the balloon, let some the air out of the heart of the Nucks. One of those players that just didn't let the team get rid of him, he "WILLED" himself to stay. Took a huge pay cut to help the team. Hopefully he gets success in Ottawa. Never be booed here.

We, the fans, want the rebuild, we know that vets need to be moved but are saddened once it happens.

Edited by TheGuardian_