The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

I just assume the Night King can warg and has Greensight.  So if he knows that he'll have a dead dragon at the bottom of an ice lake at some point then all he needs to do is make a mental note "need a big ass chain".

I think GRRM did not reveal too much to the showrunners about the Night King and the Wights to save a little interest for the book.

Right now they are no better than the zombies on Walking Dead. The show would be better off by explaining motives of the Night King, why this is now suddenly happening, etc. Bran as the Night King would be really stupid.

Just watched the episode and I have to say it was pretty predictable.

Spoiler

You just knew when Dany flew off with all 3 dragons that she was losing one. Although i did not foresee what will now be night dragon. That is pretty cool and certainly a bit of a thorn in the westerosi side. I am still waiting for Bran to break the news that Jon and Dany are actually step brother/sister.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

All I'm saying, is that I figured out not to read it until after I watched it last night...

Could he have initially noted 'spoiler', as he eventually did, out of courtesy? Sure.

But you could have also waited a couple days to have read it just in case. Or quoted him asking if it was a spoiler or not. Or...

You had options - and responsibility for one's own actions. 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Agreed. You haven't seen the last released or leaked episode do not open this thread. 

It's not everyone else's job to hold your hand. This is day 1 stuff.

Ffs... I asked the guy to put more information on his spoilers... Big f'n deal. He did something very similar to me a few days earlier. Who cares... 

He admitted to making a mistake then added more information. How does this affect either of you? 

And here you two are complaining about it, almost a week after. Go find something more productive to whine about.

12 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Ffs... I asked the guy to put more information on his spoilers... Big f'n deal. He did something very similar to me a few days earlier. Who cares... 

He admitted to making a mistake then added more information. How does this affect either of you? 

And here you two are complaining about it, almost a week after. Go find something more productive to whine about.

I will whine about whatever I god damn feel like. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I will whine about whatever I god damn feel like. 

And have some nice cheese and perhaps grapes with it as well.

397115-sepik.jpg

Pretty surprised to read the AV Club review and have the author note her 'surprise' at the ice dragon.

Saw that coming miles and miles and miles away.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I think GRRM did not reveal too much to the showrunners about the Night King and the Wights to save a little interest for the book.

Right now they are no better than the zombies on Walking Dead. The show would be better off by explaining motives of the Night King, why this is now suddenly happening, etc. Bran as the Night King would be really stupid.

Yeah Night Kings motives would be good. I mean he's scary with his zombies et al but does he just want to turn the world to ice and rule the undead? Seems pretty anti-climatic and likely pretty boring for him if he succeeds. One would think it would have something to do with how he was 'created' and perhaps a cure or...? Yeah some development there would be good.

Edited by J.R.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

And have some nice cheese and perhaps grapes with it as well.

397115-sepik.jpg

Pretty surprised to read the AV Club review and have the author note her 'surprise' at the ice dragon.

Saw that coming miles and miles and miles away.

Yeah Night Kings motives would be good. I mean he's scary with his zombies et al but does he just want to turn the world to ice and rule the undead? Seems pretty anti-climatic and likely pretty boring for him if he succeeds. One would think it would have something to do with how he was 'created' and perhaps a cure or...? Yeah some development there would be good.

Agreed. Not sure how it would affect the overall theme and tone of the show but it would be cool to see an entire episode from the perspective of the the Night King and the Whitewalkers next season. 

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

One of the great things about GRRM was his ability to show that there rarely was any 'pure good' or 'pure evil'. At this point, the Night King has only been shown from one perspective (wants to wipe out everything). That is not really in line with all other characters in the show. Cersei is far more interesting than the Night King because she changes (not complete 180s, but she does have variance in motives). 

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

One of the great things about GRRM was his ability to show that there rarely was any 'pure good' or 'pure evil'. At this point, the Night King has only been shown from one perspective (wants to wipe out everything). That is not really in line with all other characters in the show. Cersei is far more interesting than the Night King because she changes (not complete 180s, but she does have variance in motives). 

This is probably what I'm most interested in right now. GRRM has straight up stated he doesn't like the pure evil villain tropes so you have to believe there will be more than one dimension to the Night King. I imagine we'll find out more about him and the rest of the White Walkers next season. 

4 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Agreed. Not sure how it would affect the overall theme and tone of the show but it would be cool to see an entire episode from the perspective of the the Night King and the Whitewalkers next season. 

i think this is where HBO really dropped the ball with GOTs. they should have had WAY MORE building episodes explaining one-off situations and scenarios to REALLY flesh out the 'world' --  i felt this way with the Mad King's story, too. instead of having an episode or two dedicated to him, they just had little flash backs (with that green explosion stuff) and indirect or direct references scattered across 5 seasons. while I get the point of it all and it did serve the current style of the show, I just feel like unless you read the books or talk to people who have, a lot of that stuff is buried or is incredibly easy to forget

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

i think this is where HBO really dropped the ball with GOTs. they should have had WAY MORE building episodes explaining one-off situations and scenarios to REALLY flesh out the 'world' --  i felt this way with the Mad King's story, too. instead of having an episode or two dedicated to him, they just had little flash backs (with that green explosion stuff) and indirect or direct references scattered across 5 seasons. while I get the point of it all and it did serve the current style of the show, I just feel like unless you read the books or talk to people who have, a lot of that stuff is buried or is incredibly easy to forget

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if HBO is saving this stuff for a potential prequel series. Hard to believe they would abandon the world of Westeros once GoT is over. 

11 hours ago, pluralsight said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if HBO is saving this stuff for a potential prequel series. Hard to believe they would abandon the world of Westeros once GoT is over. 

Agree too much money to just walk away.  They can still use all the sets and they even have the perfect Young Ned.  The tower of Joy scene is still probably one of my favorite scenes so would love to see a series/movie about the Mad King, Raeger, Arthur Dayne, etc.

Also:

822f8e1c8e5889f8285fa8a245a04b22.png

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Agree too much money to just walk away.  They can still use all the sets and they even have the perfect Young Ned.  The tower of Joy scene is still probably one of my favorite scenes so would love to see a series/movie about the Mad King, Raeger, Arthur Dayne, etc.

Also:

For me it's when the mountain crushed Oberons head. 

Complete.

Utter.

Shock.

12 hours ago, pluralsight said:

AFAIK, Dan and Dave already have the green light for an alternate reality/fantasy series called "Confederate".

Per HBO's official Medium account:[2]

Confederate chronicles events leading to the "Third American Civil War". It takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zonefreedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate, and the families of people in their thrall.

It doesn't mean that HBO won't revisit Essos and Westeros, but they'll likely do it with a new set of producers.

The Season Finale will be titled "The Dragon and the Wolf" and will run 79minutes and 43 seconds long. 

JsJKGfZ.png

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

AFAIK, Dan and Dave already have the green light for an alternate reality/fantasy series called "Confederate".

Per HBO's official Medium account:[2]

Confederate chronicles events leading to the "Third American Civil War". It takes place in an alternate timeline, where the southern states have successfully seceded from the Union, giving rise to a nation in which slavery remains legal and has evolved into a modern institution. The story follows a broad swath of characters on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Demilitarized Zonefreedom fighters, slave hunters, politicians, abolitionists, journalists, the executives of a slave-holding conglomerate, and the families of people in their thrall.

It doesn't mean that HBO won't revisit Essos and Westeros, but they'll likely do it with a new set of producers.

http://www.gamesradar.com/the-game-of-thrones-spin-off-will-focus-on-a-recognisable-past-event-here-are-our-5-best-guesses/

The Game of Thrones spin-off will focus on a "recognisable... past event" – here are our 5 best guesses

By Bradley Russell a day ago

News 

Shares
TODO alt text

Game of Thrones season 7 (and the main show proper) is nearly at an end and we’ll desperately need something to fill the Westeros-shaped void in our hearts. Thankfully, one of the spin-off writers has thrown out a delicious morsel of info to speculate on.

Speaking to IGN, writer Jane Goldman revealed a tiny morsel about the subject of her spin-off (there are three others potentially in the works): “I think as a book reader or as someone who watched the series, you would say, ‘Oh, that! OK.’ Yeah, it would be recognizable as a past event, but I think that’s probably as far as I can go.” 

Lest the HBO execs hunt her down with a dragon, Goldman kept schtum about what that event will be, but that doesn’t mean that’s not given us a few ideas…

The Night's Watch

Many a villainous man full of treachery and hate has passed through the gates at Castle Black to defend The Wall and all that surrounds it. It seems prime for picking up a few hundred years prior to the events of Game of Thrones: There’d be an ensemble cast worthy of any Thrones episodes, death, destruction and plenty of battles with the Wildlings. What’s not to like?

Children of the Forest

Sure, the Children of the Forest were glimpsed at in Game of Thrones season 6 but it’s a part of the TV show largely left unexplored. A lot can be mined out of the moments leading up to the creation of the White Walkers, and even after it. There’s a reason why the group nearly all went extinct thousands of years ago…

A Winterfell prequel

In a similar vein to a potential Night’s Watch prequel, Winterfell is a rich and varied setting seemingly there for the taking when discussing a spin-off, especially as it’s already been looked at with Hodor’s… y’know.. I don’t know about you but I’d love to go back and delve into the Stark family history when all is said and done on Game of Thrones – and a Winterfell prequel would be the best way to achieve it.

The Red Priestesses

The Lord of the Light has always been frustratingly out of reach for many a character on Thrones, so why not dig deep into the fanatic cult behind it all? There’d be magic, resurrections, weird old ladies hiding their age with magic medallions. Oh, and leeches. Lots and lots of leeches. 

Keepin' up with the Targaryens

The Targaryens are a strange bunch, to put it mildly. Not only does their family tree have more branches than McDonald’s, the golden-haired clan have their fair share of weirdness and backstabbing to boot. I want to see what came before Dany and the Mad King. Witnessing the birth of a great house after the Targaryens left Old Valyria for Westeros would be something spectacular and, undoubtedly, a path paved in blood. Come on HBO, you know you want to.

Don’t want to let go of Game of Thrones season 7 just yet? Don’t worry, here are 7 questions we had after watching Game of Thrones season 7, episode 6, and the preview for the Game of Thrones season 7 finale.

Some text was blocked by the pic:

G

ame of Thrones season 7 (and the main show proper) is nearly at an end and we’ll desperately need something to fill the Westeros-shaped void in our hearts. Thankfully, one of the spin-off writers has thrown out a delicious morsel of info to speculate on.

Speaking to IGN, writer Jane Goldman revealed a tiny morsel about the subject of her spin-off (there are three others potentially in the works): “I think as a book reader or as someone who watched the series, you would say, ‘Oh, that! OK.’ Yeah, it would be recognizable as a past event, but I think that’s probably as far as I can go.” 

Lest the HBO execs hunt her down with a dragon, Goldman kept schtum about what that event will be, but that doesn’t mean that’s not given us a few ideas…

15 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

This is probably what I'm most interested in right now. GRRM has straight up stated he doesn't like the pure evil villain tropes so you have to believe there will be more than one dimension to the Night King. I imagine we'll find out more about him and the rest of the White Walkers next season. 

Has to be some sort of revenge to the Children of the Forest, a cure or something. Perhaps think the Night King is just wanting to get to the Isle of Faces/God's Eye and men are viewed merely as collateral damage and soldiers for his army?