The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Just posted the same news, Jazz. Quite the tragedy, isn't it?

Yeah, it's terrible. It's exciting to see massive stuff like this happen, but not at the expense of human life. I was looking through pictures of it. It's good that not everyone died in the wreckage, but I've seen a whole side of a building fell off, and there was a building or a tower that collapsed with people inside. It's terrible stuff happening in Asia right now.

Friend of mine(here in Osaka) was just in Kathmandu, volunteer-teaching Japanese last month. So glad she's back safe.

That's good. I'm sort of wondering how Johnny Hockey is 99 is doing, if he's there anymore. Did you feel anything in Osaka?

I had no idea that there was a fault line between Nepal and India...I always thought that mountainous, landlocked countries were relatively safe from earthquakes.

I do however, remember that India was once an island, before continental drift slammed it into the Asian mainland. I'm guessing that the fault lies there.

Unfortunately, this disaster is going to be much worse than it could have been, because of substandard building practices.

That's good. I'm sort of wondering how Johnny Hockey is 99 is doing, if he's there anymore. Did you feel anything in Osaka?

You realize Osaka is in Japan, right? That's almost 5,000 kms away from Nepal. I know earthquakes can be felt far away, but that's like asking someone in Cuba if they felt the recent earthquake off our own BC coast.

Japan has enough earthquakes of its own.

I had no idea that there was a fault line between Nepal and India...I always thought that mountainous, landlocked countries were relatively safe from earthquakes.

I do however, remember that India was once an island, before continental drift slammed it into the Asian mainland. I'm guessing that the fault lies there.

Unfortunately, this disaster is going to be much worse than it could have been, because of substandard building practices.

Yes the indo-australian plate collided with the eurasian plate which created the largest mountain, and mountain range, in the world. This border runs directly through Nepal.

Definitely a disaster for such a poor country. There has been world wide aid sent to Nepal.

Worst part is despite the tragedy of a death toll over 1000 people. Our province really doesn't take earthquakes as seriously as they should. Richmond, Delta, and other parts of the lower mainland could suffer luqefaction (soil turning to mud) Considering Highway 99 is a major route there could be chaos just getting around and for emergency vehicles.

The damage to the lower mainland could be catastrophic. The province embarked upon "seismic" upgrades in the 90's.

But that doesn't mean earthquake proof. If you live in a wooden frame building odds are your home will fare better.

http://space.io9.com/earthquake-on-vancouver-island-1566965073

The scary part is that it is only a matter of time that a massive earthquake hits our area. I imagine that aid will be required by those unfortunate people. Help if you can. That may eventually be us.

The best way we can help potential victims of an earthquake in BC is to be prepared. Have a plan, cash, food, water, and emergency supplies for a couple weeks so that emergency personnel don't have to worry about you.

Worst part is despite the tragedy of a death toll over 1000 people. Our province really doesn't take earthquakes as seriously as they should. Richmond, Delta, and other parts of the lower mainland could suffer luqefaction (soil turning to mud) Considering Highway 99 is a major route there could be chaos just getting around and for emergency vehicles.

The damage to the lower mainland could be catastrophic. The province embarked upon "seismic" upgrades in the 90's.

But that doesn't mean earthquake proof. If you live in a wooden frame building odds are your home will fare better.

http://space.io9.com/earthquake-on-vancouver-island-1566965073

Richmond would sink... Half that city is built on sand.

Devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake slams Nepal:

A violent 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday destroyed ancient temples, triggered an avalanche on Mt. Everest and left survivors camped outside of their homes as night fell, fearful of more aftershocks.

The quake's death toll kept rising, with police telling The Associated Press that at least 1,130 people were confirmed dead. Other reports cited nearly 1,500 deaths, but NBC News was not immediately able to confirm the figures.

Nearly two dozen aftershocks followed the quake, including a magnitude-6.6 aftershock an hour afterwards. Hospitals were overflowing with injured people, homes were damaged, phone lines were jammed, and roads had gaping cracks running along them.

Rain showers were forecast for Saturday into Sunday, making the frantic search for survivors even more complicated.

Secretary of State John Kerry said he asked Peter Bodde, the U.S. ambassador to Nepal, to release an initial $1 million for humanitarian assistance.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/nepal-earthquake/nepal-earthquake-magnitude-7-9-tremor-hits-kathmandu-n348236