The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Sportsnet.ca is saying that Phonsie is likely out for the 2nd leg against TFC. He looked slow and tentative in training. (confirmed by Robbo)

Personally, I prefer to sit him out until he's 100%. I'm more concerned with the playoff hunt than I am the Canadian Championship. The official screwed that up by issuing that BS straight red to Felipe anyway...

Ya just shows how bad we are, toronto destroyed our def , was a joke..i stoppped watching after 4-0 , i wanna love the whitecaps, but its so hard, toronto has won it now 4 years in a row, we last won it and our onlyone 2015 .......altidore, giovinco , and many others toronto have, they only lost so many games cause both there 2 main stars were injured at the start, than giovinco cameback, than altidore, and they winning again ( they getting back into the groove of things ) and now winning this, they will be pretty unstoppable.......

our def played so bad today, almost all of tfc goals were players that were open/untouched :(

Sucks so much :( and our ownership suck so bad, they wont buy/get better players cause they so stingy with the cash, and once we get the money for davies, i bet u we wont get anyone good with it....such a joke

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Ya just shows how bad we are, toronto destroyed our def , was a joke..i stoppped watching after 4-0 , i wanna love the whitecaps, but its so hard, toronto has won it now 4 years in a row, we last won it and our onlyone 2015 .......altidore, giovinco , and many others toronto have, they only lost so many games cause both there 2 main stars were injured at the start, than giovinco cameback, than altidore, and they winning again ( they getting back into the groove of things ) and now winning this, they will be pretty unstoppable.......

our def played so bad today, almost all of tfc goals were players that were open/untouched :(

Sucks so much :( and our ownership suck so bad, they wont buy/get better players cause they so stingy with the cash, and once we get the money for davies, i bet u we wont get anyone good with it....such a joke

these 2 teams

play 2 different levels of soccer

too bad the whitecaps play a lower tier

that will not change with the present management philosophy

at best caps will be middle of the pack in the mls

7 hours ago, coastal.view said:

too bad the whitecaps play a lower tier

that will not change with the present management philosophy

at best caps will be middle of the pack in the mls

Yup, just glad im not a die hard caps fan ....nothing much else to watch till NHL starts up ....but with the canucks atleast they rebuilding, caps, u cant do that...but pay for talent, which management arent interested in doing lol

The coaching team is awful.

The scouting team is awful.

The management team is awful. 

Unfortunately it all rests on the ownership. If they're not willing to change the management philosophy and buck up there's no hope. 

9 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

The coaching team is awful.

The scouting team is awful.

The management team is awful. 

Unfortunately it all rests on the ownership. If they're not willing to change the management philosophy and buck up there's no hope. 

I would disagree with the coaching being awful. I work with a lot of European football fans and they say that Robinson and his staff play European style football but they just don't have the horses to make it work effectively. That maybe they asking too much from a group that lacks ability. I hang it on ownership and the direction they give to management. Though I do think it's time to cut Lenarduzzi loose. He reminds me of Linden in his role with Canucks management...nostalgic. Time to bring in someone new.

89th minute goal, another draw lol, even ny with 10man ......whitecaps defensive play is so bad :( ....i really dont wanna make the playoffs cause to be frank, if u have watched the whitecaps this year, only maybe 2-3 games they seemed like a decent team...and that wont win u anything in the playoffs, cause they dont deserve to be in the playoffs

8 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

89th minute goal, another draw lol, even ny with 10man ......whitecaps defensive play is so bad :( ....i really dont wanna make the playoffs cause to be frank, if u have watched the whitecaps this year, only maybe 2-3 games they seemed like a decent team...and that wont win u anything in the playoffs, cause they dont deserve to be in the playoffs

Yup they have pissed away so many bloody points this year with late goals that its become a joke now.  Absoultely embarrassing.  And is there seriously no one in the organization that can play left D when Marcel is out?  Honest to god, Shea is the most god awful defender ever.  Absoultely 0 heart and effort every time, does more flybys than I can count and never puts in a half assed effort unless he's going on a run after he had given away his defensive responsibilities all season.  Davies should have tracked back on that last goal but Shea had absoultely no man whatsoever.  If he did have a "man" he ran towards the center of the net and Shea half assed floated to the back post where the ball went and used a garbage kick attempt to get rid of the ball.

49 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yup they have pissed away so many bloody points this year with late goals that its become a joke now.  Absoultely embarrassing.  And is there seriously no one in the organization that can play left D when Marcel is out?  Honest to god, Shea is the most god awful defender ever.  Absoultely 0 heart and effort every time, does more flybys than I can count and never puts in a half assed effort unless he's going on a run after he had given away his defensive responsibilities all season.  Davies should have tracked back on that last goal but Shea had absoultely no man whatsoever.  If he did have a "man" he ran towards the center of the net and Shea half assed floated to the back post where the ball went and used a garbage kick attempt to get rid of the ball.

This team defends like a swarm of 5 year-old kids chasing after a ball. They have one capable left back and one capable centre back.

Brek Shea somehow fell asleep on that set play. Inexcusable...

That being said, Waston deserves a large part of the blame for that late equalizer. I've been one of his biggest supporters and have often lamented the fact that he doesn't have the support he needs since the departure of Tim Paker, but he clearly put his knee in the back of the Red Bulls player and gave him a shove afterward for good measure.

After the sending off, a player needs to understand that officials, being human beings, are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt in these situations. (Especially if you're a guy with a reputation for hard play) There was basically zero chance that a foul was not going to be called there and it's frustrating, because it was unnecessary.

I love KW as a player, but he needs know when to tone it down, or it will continue to cost this team critical points.

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That being said, Waston deserves a large part of the blame for that late equalizer. I've been one of his biggest supporters and have often lamented the fact that he doesn't have the support he needs since the departure of Tim Paker, but he clearly put his knee in the back of the Red Bulls player and gave him a shove afterward for good measure.

After the sending off, a player needs to understand that officials, being human beings, are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt in these situations. (Especially if you're a guy with a reputation for hard play) There was basically zero chance that a foul was not going to be called there and it's frustrating, because it was unnecessary.

I love KW as a player, but he needs know when to tone it down, or it will continue to cost this team critical points.

He's lucky he wears the armband.  Previous seasons, he got carded for less.  

What I'm most disappointed is the lackadaisical effort after gaining the lead and having a man advantage.  Instead of keeping the ball in the opposition's corner to kill time and forcing NYRB to stretch the field, they kept passing the ball back and forth with the defenders.... in their own zone.... always a catalyst for disaster.   

On 18/08/2018 at 7:01 PM, Brad Marchand said:

This team defends like a swarm of 5 year-old kids chasing after a ball. They have one capable left back and one capable centre back.

I do like jake nerwinski, he still has some learning to do.  Wish YP Lee was a coach and could teach him a few pointers on how to grab that back post man.  But yea the defense has been embarrasing since they started in the league, was a bit better last year but still wasn't great.

On 19/08/2018 at 10:53 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

It was such a blatant foul, why is he getting his leg and arm into the back and head of the opponent.  He's bloody 6 inches taller probably with a good vertical, or even better, just let the guy try and flick it on or take it down then go and take the ball for him.  Those needless fouls drive me up the bloody wall.

I'm honestly tired of dwelling on this teams' mediocrity. Was watching Atlanta play this weekend and was just amazed by the brilliant and creative soccer they played.

A two year old franchise in the top 10 of MLS payroll (at #9) selling out a brand new stadium looks like they could go all the way while the 9 year old Caps are content to wallow in their own pathetic mediocrity making the playoffs just once in their history and happy to continue to sign young third tier South American players who are just content to play for a steady and small paycheque while hoping to get the opportunity to score a few goals which could lead them to make some real coin with another team in another league somewhere down the road.

And nothing will change until fans stop supporting the way this team is run. I'm tired of it quite honestly. I will continue to watch them but will not give them another dime. I'm not suggesting they need to be in the top third in payroll but Atlanta's slightly higher payroll is $11.3 MM while Caps are at $8.3. Regardless, spending extra dough is useless if you don't have the ability to build a team properly and IMO management and coach need to be flushed asap if this team is to have any chance down the road.

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm honestly tired of dwelling on this teams' mediocrity. Was watching Atlanta play this weekend and was just amazed by the brilliant and creative soccer they played.

A two year old franchise in the top 10 of MLS payroll (at #9) selling out a brand new stadium looks like they could go all the way while the 9 year old Caps are content to wallow in their own pathetic mediocrity making the playoffs just once in their history and happy to continue to sign young third tier South American players who are just content to play for a steady and small paycheque while hoping to get the opportunity to score a few goals which could lead them to make some real coin with another team in another league somewhere down the road.

And nothing will change until fans stop supporting the way this team is run. I'm tired of it quite honestly. I will continue to watch them but will not give them another dime. I'm not suggesting they need to be in the top third in payroll but Atlanta's slightly higher payroll is $11.3 MM while Caps are at $8.3. Regardless, spending extra dough is useless if you don't have the ability to build a team properly and IMO management and coach need to be flushed asap if this team is to have any chance down the road.

Atlanta dont mind spending the money to get actual good players, our management keep geting this players who nodody knows about or are from backwater teams in unknown leagues, cause they cheap and mangement dont have spend money ......atlanta knows how to get talent, and wont puss out on spending money if need be.

just like how we lost parker, management didnt wanna pay him a raise as he deserved, so he went elsewere.....same with that that other guy who was on defence, those 2 are better than what we got now lol :(

players like blondell will forever plague our team :(

we losing to a 3 13 team :( lol, san jose winning 2-0 .....horrible game as usual, even fans on twitter are pissed, really....management need to get this team sorted out, or fans should just stop going, why keep supporting a team that doesnt wanna spend money and get better.

Atleast with the canucks, the managment care, and in return the fans care ...we rebuilding, whitecaps u dont rebuild, u pay for talent and get better....look at toronto ...they have 3 players who are worth the money, we have maybe 1 

50 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

we losing to a 3 13 team :( lol, san jose winning 2-0 .....horrible game as usual, even fans on twitter are pissed, really....management need to get this team sorted out, or fans should just stop going, why keep supporting a team that doesnt wanna spend money and get better.

Atleast with the canucks, the managment care, and in return the fans care ...we rebuilding, whitecaps u dont rebuild, u pay for talent and get better....look at toronto ...they have 3 players who are worth the money, we have maybe 1 

Then after all that they score 3 straight in the 2nd half to win. I can't get a read on this team sometimes.

22 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Then after all that they score 3 straight in the 2nd half to win. I can't get a read on this team sometimes.

they blow hot and cold in their offensive approach

they lack the ability to control almost any game

their only real consistency is that they are pretty awful defensively

they have the worst gaa in the league

they engender little confidence going forward

the team they just beat

has scored 7 fewer goals

and allowed 4 fewer goals

so their goal differential is only 3 worse

san jose is solidly in last place in the entire league

somehow the caps have managed to earn 20 more points in the standings