The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

The evolution of Hansen on the Canucks is quite an interesting chapter. I used to want him gone when this team was elite, when he was taking up a roster spot over guys with more potential. Eventually, he signed a more expensive contract (for a third / fourth liner), earned a conditional no trade clause, and was leaned on more heavily with some disappointing / sub par seasons. A growing number of fans have called for him to be traded in recent years in hopes of seeing an overhaul of the 'old stale core'. Nowadays, on a team that is leaning towards more of a grinding / rebuilding style, I think he seems to fit in fine. I have no doubt Benning has tried trading him to the few teams on Hansen's trade list, but I actually don't mind that Hansen has stuck around. It's almost unheard of for a third liner to have the lasting power on one team that we've seen with him. He'll probably score around 15 goals. He won't fight, or throw too many bone-crushing hits. But he's a pest, speedy, and if you don't expect much from him, he might just surprise you occasionally with those hands-of-stone.

I doubt Bennings even considered trying to move him. He's the 3rd line embodiment of how Benning/Linden want this team to play.

Speed? Check. Tenacious puck pursuit? Check. All while being excellent defensively, a great PK'er and able to chip in offensively. He's not going anywhere IMO.

I wonder what Higgins can get on us the trading block.

depends when. Higgy is a class act player, but guys like that pepper the NHL taking up roster spots for kids. At the deadline i could see him fetching an ok price, but trading him now, which I would like to do to open up slots for kids, wouldnt fetch much I dont think.

I see him being packaged with Jensen or someone like that

Hansen seems to be excellent on a line with youth. He got speed to burn and are good at covering. Did great last season with Horvat, and no doubt a line with him and Burrows, will score a fair few goals.

No way JB will be trading him...

The evolution of Hansen on the Canucks is quite an interesting chapter. I used to want him gone when this team was elite, when he was taking up a roster spot over guys with more potential. Eventually, he signed a more expensive contract (for a third / fourth liner), earned a conditional no trade clause, and was leaned on more heavily with some disappointing / sub par seasons. A growing number of fans have called for him to be traded in recent years in hopes of seeing an overhaul of the 'old stale core'. Nowadays, on a team that is leaning towards more of a grinding / rebuilding style, I think he seems to fit in fine. I have no doubt Benning has tried trading him to the few teams on Hansen's trade list, but I actually don't mind that Hansen has stuck around. It's almost unheard of for a third liner to have the lasting power on one team that we've seen with him. He'll probably score around 15 goals. He won't fight, or throw too many bone-crushing hits. But he's a pest, speedy, and if you don't expect much from him, he might just surprise you occasionally with those hands-of-stone.

Slegr, I know that you and I have historically disagreed about Hansen, and I do admit to having enjoyed trolling you over the past few years. That being said, I do respect you as a poster and I totally agree with the bolded part.

Nah, Hansen's a good player to have around. You need to have rocks while you're rebuilding, and Hansen seems to be a good player to break young players in with. He's pretty consistent, doesn't cost a lot, can play anywhere in the lineup, gives it his all every shift, and doesn't seem to have much of an ego at all.

I wish people would realize that we don't need to get rid of every single veteran we have. I really think we should keep Hansen around either his play diminishes significantly, or he wants to move on.

I agree. Really, I'd only move Higgins at this point. Hansen may be offensively challenged, but the dude is the hardest working player on the team. Keep the Honey Badger!

I agree. Really, I'd only move Higgins at this point. Hansen may be offensively challenged, but the dude is the hardest working player on the team. Keep the Honey Badger!

I would tend to agree. Higgins and Hansen are fairly similar players at this point and have identical cap hits (although Hansen is signed for 1 more year than Higgins). At some point (soon, imo) one will have to be moved out to make room for Virtanen.

Nah, Hansen's a good player to have around. You need to have rocks while you're rebuilding, and Hansen seems to be a good player to break young players in with. He's pretty consistent, doesn't cost a lot, can play anywhere in the lineup, gives it his all every shift, and doesn't seem to have much of an ego at all.

I wish people would realize that we don't need to get rid of every single veteran we have. I really think we should keep Hansen around either his play diminishes significantly, or he wants to move on.

Agreed. You need some rock solid guys who you can depend on.. Hansen has always played well with young players, and his defensive play is a great asset to a young player who will make the odd mistake and not get reemed out for it.

I agree on keeping Hansen over Higgins..the two bring the same type of game and we only need the one and Hansen gets the nod because of his speed. Higgy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 8 years so..not saying Hansen gets over 20 either but he's a good 3rd line pest.

I agree on keeping Hansen over Higgins..the two bring the same type of game and we only need the one and Hansen gets the nod because of his speed. Higgy hasn't scored over 20 goals in 8 years so..not saying Hansen gets over 20 either but he's a good 3rd line pest.

This is all fine, but what do we do with Higgins, waiver wire?

We'd lose him for sure - some team would grab him. We'd end up with nothing. Shop him around for a 3rd rounder

What if there are no takers? We want him gone so a younger player can take his spot. Maybe the other teams feel the same way? A young guy on an ELC is a lot cheaper, and close enough in ability to make it not worth Higgins.

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, babych said:

After today's hattie Hansen has almost tied his career best for goals scored.

Could we see 20 from the Honey Badger this year?

There was a time, (before Torts came along) that a few Canuck fans thought he would develop into a 20g scorer.  His improvement rate each year looked very good indeed.  Along with his speed, hussle and defensive game, he is turning into a very valuable player.

No more 'stone hands' yap, please Nuck fans.

Archived