The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen

Slegr

This, he was drafted in the 9th round. The guy is a gem and a work horse.

He is paid to be a 3rd line grinder and does that job.

Yet he's being put in an offensive role. If he was doing his job as a third line grinder, no one would complain, you're right. But he's not bringing that game and he's definitely not an offensive threat.

A troll who has been here for 10+ years?

No just a hater...

If Hansen was playing the role he was paid to play everyone would be praising him.

Exactly. Hansen was a great 3rd liner, but for whatever reason he is being put up on the second line, which was never his force. Hansen doesn't set the team, lines or tactics, so to single him out like this is beyond pathetic. Guess that is the name of the game...

If Hansen was playing the role he was paid to play everyone would be praising him.

Exactly, i don't even know how Hansen has turned into a scapegoat on this forum :picard: , he's a bargain. Injuries and off years happen look at the ducks a couple years back they ended up trading bobby ryan which is looking like our current situation with kesler.

• 3 weeks later...

How about an end-of-the-season review of our beloved Jannik Hansen.

In 71 games this season, he had 20 points (11 goals, 9 assists), and virtually disappeared in the latter half of the season. He had more points (27 points) in a shortened 47-game season last year. He had 39 points the year before that.

For me, as a Canucks fan, it's not so much the points he did not get, it's about all the missed opportunities and the momentum swings that came as a result of his trademark hands-of-stone. Hansen's fumbles of the puck at key times and missed scoring chances would often bite the Canucks in the behind this season. Plus, it seems he lost a lot of the tenacity and hard fore-checking that guaranteed him ice time.

Now the Hansen puck bunnies will surely counter with "Hey, lots of Canucks had off years." While this is true, only four Canucks had a worse +/- than Hansen, at -9. He played like he has grown far too complacent with his multi-year contract. The fact that he had so many opportunities to prove his worth on the top six this year, along with ample power play opportunities, makes me wonder about his future,

Keep in mind, we are now unable to trade Hansen, with his limited no trade clause. Hansen's contracts was one of Gillis' own largest undoings. You don't give NTCs to third / fourth liners, unless they are exceptional players with clearly identified roles on a team. Hansen's role on this team can be filled by a number of AHLers, and hopefully Canucks' management find a creative way next season to manage his mismanaged contract and situation.

• 1 month later...

How about an end-of-the-season review of our beloved Jannik Hansen.

In 71 games this season, he had 20 points (11 goals, 9 assists), and virtually disappeared in the latter half of the season. He had more points (27 points) in a shortened 47-game season last year. He had 39 points the year before that.

For me, as a Canucks fan, it's not so much the points he did not get, it's about all the missed opportunities and the momentum swings that came as a result of his trademark hands-of-stone. Hansen's fumbles of the puck at key times and missed scoring chances would often bite the Canucks in the behind this season. Plus, it seems he lost a lot of the tenacity and hard fore-checking that guaranteed him ice time.

Now the Hansen puck bunnies will surely counter with "Hey, lots of Canucks had off years." While this is true, only four Canucks had a worse +/- than Hansen, at -9. He played like he has grown far too complacent with his multi-year contract. The fact that he had so many opportunities to prove his worth on the top six this year, along with ample power play opportunities, makes me wonder about his future,

Keep in mind, we are now unable to trade Hansen, with his limited no trade clause. Hansen's contracts was one of Gillis' own largest undoings. You don't give NTCs to third / fourth liners, unless they are exceptional players with clearly identified roles on a team. Hansen's role on this team can be filled by a number of AHLers, and hopefully Canucks' management find a creative way next season to manage his mismanaged contract and situation.

Alright Slegr, get ready for this...

I agree with pretty everything you just wrote. Hansen had a crap year and looked pretty disinterested at times.

That being said, I believe he can be a better player (although not elite - I've never claimed that he was) and still be a bargain even though his contract is increasing to $2.5 million/yr.

I'm hoping that, with the right coach, Hansen can go back to being the grinding, hard-working 3rd liner that can still put up 35+ points.

• 2 months later...

Hansen is only effective if he's hitting and then his shoulder injury? So who knows how he plays this season. There is no science to his game it's just a matter of time before a younger player steps in and matches/exceeds his energy.

Hansen was one of a number of players that had the Tortrella Blues last season. Previous to last season he brought to every game the thing coaches love the most consistency...he was a Pro. That's the challange for kids coming out of junior or the AHL you can't take 5 -10 - period breaks in your game. It's pedal to the metal game in game out, shift in shift out, that's what being a Pro is all about consistenct and application. Hansen has it....juniors have to prove it

Hansen was one of a number of players that had the Tortrella Blues last season. Previous to last season he brought to every game the thing coaches love the most consistency...he was a Pro. That's the challange for kids coming out of junior or the AHL you can't take 5 -10 - period breaks in your game. It's pedal to the metal game in game out, shift in shift out, that's what being a Pro is all about consistenct and application. Hansen has it....juniors have to prove it

There are FAR better players out there executing the same roll efficiently.

Hansen may have had an off year, but he brings speed and energy and an effective tough-to-play-against game. He is a legitimate 3rd liner, and has the intensity and drive to be a 2nd liner, but his skill set is just below that. He's not a 'go to' guy. He's an excellent complimentary line mate that in the right situation with the right system and right teammates can be VERY effective.

Like any player, he has his strengths. He has elite speed and a decent shot, and he is tenacious. Give him a system he can play in and a defined role. The last time he had that, he was on the verge of breaking out and got playing time up on the 2nd line - a place he showed flashes but inconsistency as a scorer. Thats not a knock on him as a scorer, thats a plus for him as an effective teammate and a man with good work ethic. They knew he was in a role he wasn't used to at the NHL level, and still he was the best choice at the time, and for parts he didn't look THAT out of place, especially considering the revolving door of line mates and his notoriously puck-selfish line mates in Kesler and Booth.

Last year was a learning experience for all. This year will be too. But guys like Jannick don't grow on trees, and I would be hesitant to be so ready to let go of guys like this. He's a guy you don't have to worry about, easy to open the door and you know what you're gonna get. If he pots 15 goals and 35-40 points, along with that work ethic - I think he's right on target.

I've never been too crazy about Hansen. I'd like to see him replaced as well. We've got a lot of new players and prospects who will be vying for a spot, many of which would be a big upgrade over Hansen.

Many???

They may be an upgrade, but let them show it first before throwing Hansen under the bus.

He'll thrive under WD on bottom 6 role.

He has the wheels and jam. Both of which WD said he wants his players to have.

If he pots 30 pts down there he's right where he should be.

He's a lot like Weise, and look what that kid did last year. He was one of Montreals most energetic players in the post season.

Archived