The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Ad Astra: 7/10

Saw this at the Drive-In on a perfectly clear night, which helped add to the tone of the film. It was my first time I going and I was surprised by the good quality of the screen. Cinematography was great. Felt like a very personal movie from the director. A nice message (we're alone, it's okay) but it seemed like the director (James Gray) wasn't sure how to portray the message as part of a story and so you get some random scenes (Space fights! Pirates!) that just seem to exist solely to wake people from their sleeps and not because it was necessary for the plot.

• Upvote 1

The Laundromat - 4/10

I had high-hopes for this one. The back-story interests me, the cast is stellar, and even Soderbergh is a director I seem to like more than most (really enjoyed Contagion, Side Effects, The Informant!, etc.). And really, the acting was top-notch, and the cinematography was fantastic. But the structure of the movie is a complete mess.

Rather than try to tell one story well, it jumps between 3 stories, and the constant interruption for narration by Oldman/Banderas (even though they are nailing the part with what they are given). But instead of being fresh and exciting, it's tedious and exhausting. In the end I barely knew more about the central theme than when I started. And the preachy ending is groan-inducing.

1 hour ago, luckyjack said:

The Jackal.
Saw this on BBC3 so gave it a go and was quite entertained. I don't know if it's the age of the movie but I found one or two of the disguises Willis wore to be quite amusing.

The only thing I remember about this movie when I first watched it in the 90s was that Jack Black was in it. And this scene:

F2DD94AB-9B54-434B-8C5C-63EF488570C9.gif

Phantasm

Surprised that I had never seen this movie. Cult classic that is more of a psychological horror film, that’s a slow burn. Really interesting. Tall man is certainly creepy.

Worth watching if you’re a fan of smarter horror films that don’t rely on jump scares.

3B775B3D-069E-46CE-B084-43761E22D9AC.jpeg

'horror'/halloween rundown:

the dead don't die: 5/10. worst i've seen from jarmusch

nightbreed: 2/10. god i hated this

the gruesome twosome: 6/10. there's something charming about herschell gordon lewis' vulgarity - he's like a slightly better john waters

the gore gore girls: 5.5/10. okay, but not THAT charming

the purge: 4.5/10. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

monster squad: 4/10. loved it as a kid. trash as an adult, but i guess it was watchable through the nostalgia.

Good Boys...meh out of 10...oh alright, 4. I guess..

As the dad of boys I was hoping for a low mental exertion but humorous take on boyhood that I could have a cheap chuckle or two with. The expected cheap laughs were there but largely it was even more cliched and boring than you'd assume.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:15 AM, Down by the River said:

Ad Astra: 7/10

Saw this at the Drive-In on a perfectly clear night, which helped add to the tone of the film. It was my first time I going and I was surprised by the good quality of the screen. Cinematography was great. 

Man that's awesome.  Very cool.

The King

2 hours and 20 mins but I wish it could have been double.  I'm a big fan of Director David Michod (animal kingdom) so I was really looking forward to seeing how he would do with a medieval epic.  I really enjoyed it.

Jojo Rabbit-6.5/10

I enjoyed it, but perhaps my expectations were too high. I was expecting something a lot funnier, and while it did have its fair share of laughs and emotional moments, it was undercut by a lot of footdragging and borderline-cringe inducing moments.

The Lighthouse-7/10

This was something. Good performances, good script, lots of classic greek symbolism. I really enjoyed watching Willem Dafoe ham it up. That said it really felt like the director rehashed The Witch. People in an older time period with silly accents/mannerisms stuck in an extremely isolated environment while spooky things start to happen. 

18 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

The Art of Racing in the Rain...5/10

Moved far too fast to establish any connectivity with the audience. You feel briefly happy for a small event, then briefly sad for another...wash, rinse, repeat.

Tore through that book... Not sure if it would translate well to film though... By your post, it sounds like not.

the great beauty: 5/10. a few good scenes, but this movie is like a critique of filthy rich boomers in high italian society -- cutting commentary like: maybe it's not so great to get botox after all? and maybe there's something to not being superficial?

paolo sorrentino is talented and i'd consider myself a casual fan, but the praise this movie gets (including best foreign film at the oscars) is baffling to me