The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

It's not that simple. Florida's not going to be a legit contender for a couple of years, by whuch time Luongo's effectiveness is anyone's guess. I wouldn't make the move if I was Tallon either; they aren't turning it around this season. I'd also doubt the Fla ownership would OK the deal due to Lu's contract the way the team is playing right now.

Washington's a little harder to figure out; McPhee's job has to be on the line at some point. Expect a move once he starts feeling heat from ownership.

It's not that simple. Florida's not going to be a legit contender for a couple of years, by whuch time Luongo's effectiveness is anyone's guess. I wouldn't make the move if I was Tallon either; they aren't turning it around this season. I'd also doubt the Fla ownership would OK the deal due to Lu's contract the way the team is playing right now.

Washington's a little harder to figure out; McPhee's job has to be on the line at some point. Expect a move once he starts feeling heat from ownership.

also just noticed, brouwer drafted 7th round. i mean a whl guy with size 49 pts in 72gp. We dont take a flyer on someone with his size that late? instead in round 4 we take Andrew Sarauer, 5th round mike brown, 6th round Julien Ellis. Gee those guys sure turned into something, wish we never traded brown, but the other two lol great drafting i tell ya. The late rounds is where you have to find a gem if ur lucky like detroit or someone who can pan out like brouwer. instead we draft duds later on.

Dallas Drake also played over 1,000 games in the NHL. Indeed, they were good NHL players, but certainly not in the class of Lidstrom. Fischer played for the Wings, but was he a better choice than Datsyuk? (Sillinger was a Canuck for a couple of seasons)

In good ol' 20/20 hindsight (which is what we are all doing here), would anybody take both of those guys rather than Lidstrom? They'd be good 2nd - 4th round picks rather than a 1st and a 2nd. Sillinger played only a small number of games with the Wings before he was traded, and Boughner never did dress for Detroit. (This tends to speak against Detroit developing young talent in favour of trading it off for guys who could help their team win now. )

I believe we are starting to see the deterioration of the Detroit team that has been so dominant for so long.

Lindstrom and Holmstrom have retired. Hudler signed elsewhere. When Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen retire are there really guys waiting in the wings who can take their place and provide anything close to the level of play we have seen from them? I'm not so sure. True, there are some good players, but nothing close to what they have had on that team for the last 20ish years. And on top of their aging veterans, Zetterberg and Franzen have long term contracts which will bite that franchise on the butt. If anyone thinks the Canucks are in trouble with Luongo's contract, look at Zetterberg who has a cap hit of over $6 million for the next 8 years. He will be 41 when his contract expires. Franzen has a contract with a cap hit of just under $4 million for the next 7 years. He will be 40 when that deal expires.

regards,

G.

exactly we drafted one sollid 3rd liner later in drafts yet most turn out to be fails, like other teams aswell. I just think our scouting needs to be changed. The philosphy of drafting the european skill hasnt turned out in the last 5 years.

I like Jensen, but Rodin hasnt shown much of anything in the ahl. 04 wasnt a bad draft by nonis, he did get schneider and edler. But its those other picks that become so useful that turn into players that are more role type players. then ones we seem to always trade draft picks for and they usually leave as a FA. Id like to see us keep our picks over the next year or 2.

We have a few players we have on the team we could make a hockey trade and do a swap. This draft is suppose to be good, so i actually would like to ad 1 or 2 picks in the 1st couple rounds. Players that make this possible: Ballard, Luo, raymond, maybe Booth, higgins.

Sure looks like we could get a decent pick in any luongo trade, since those south east teams are really crapting the bed in goal. Guess they will be fine barely making the playoffs or continuing missing them

Washington, Florida, Tampa, and Winnipeg.

These are the teams that should be chomping at the bit for Luongo (except maybe Winnipeg, since Lu probably won't waive his NTC for them).

Every team in the SE Division is getting terrible goaltending, with the exception of Carolina. They're all in the same boat so far in the standings as well (only Carolina in a playoff spot). With so many inter-divisional games, any one of those teams landing Luongo gets a HUGE advantage over the other three. That one move could practically secure a playoff spot for your team, eliminating 3 others.

exactly we drafted one sollid 3rd liner later in drafts yet most turn out to be fails, like other teams aswell. I just think our scouting needs to be changed. The philosphy of drafting the european skill hasnt turned out in the last 5 years.

I like Jensen, but Rodin hasnt shown much of anything in the ahl. 04 wasnt a bad draft by nonis, he did get schneider and edler. But its those other picks that become so useful that turn into players that are more role type players. then ones we seem to always trade draft picks for and they usually leave as a FA. Id like to see us keep our picks over the next year or 2.

We have a few players we have on the team we could make a hockey trade and do a swap. This draft is suppose to be good, so i actually would like to ad 1 or 2 picks in the 1st couple rounds. Players that make this possible: Ballard, Luo, raymond, maybe Booth, higgins.

Sure looks like we could get a decent pick in any luongo trade, since those south east teams are really crapting the bed in goal. Guess they will be fine barely making the playoffs or continuing missing them

if i was the canucks id ask for one of the big two prospects from washington a tweener defenseman a capdump and the best draft pick you can talk them out of.

forsberg/kuznetsov

thomas kundratek (or similar tweener prospect that has some upside preferably a defenseman)

joel ward (cap dump would also be a good 4th line player for the playoff push)

1st-3rd round pick however high you can talk them out of.

unless the canucks want a goalie back that is the type of deal id look for. I see the canucks wanting a more veteran backup for schneider. Would allow washington to trade one of neuvirth/holtby and recoup some assets or put holtby back in the AHL to develop.

We should have a " Hockey Talk " or " Everything Hockey " thread where the conversation goes where ever posters chose.

The Luongo trade / discussion thread is used to discuss and argue about every hockey related issue. Its less about Luongo and more about other issues re the Canucks and the NHL.

Why not just have a designated thread to discuss whatever comes to mind. an Everything Hockey thread and keep this thread on topic.

I agree. His veteran leadership and experience would help the Caps get over the hump. It is well known that Lu is one of the hardest workers, which is why he was a Captain. These tangibles would really help the Caps and Ovy.

How long is McPhee willing to wait?

Is owner Leonis willing to be patient and not make the playoffs. Their current goaltending tandem obviously can't get the job done.

IMO one of Forsberg, Carlson or Alzner need to be the targets.

I never suggested it was likely, I just used that as an example of how Gillis & Aqullini would avoid being "forced" to eat a Luongo buyout. No one will be buying out Luongo for at least another six years, if at all (especially after seeing the Islanders' move for TT), imo.

if i was the canucks id ask for one of the big two prospects from washington a tweener defenseman a capdump and the best draft pick you can talk them out of.

forsberg/kuznetsov

thomas kundratek (or similar tweener prospect that has some upside preferably a defenseman)

joel ward (cap dump would also be a good 4th line player for the playoff push)

1st-3rd round pick however high you can talk them out of.

unless the canucks want a goalie back that is the type of deal id look for. I see the canucks wanting a more veteran backup for schneider. Would allow washington to trade one of neuvirth/holtby and recoup some assets or put holtby back in the AHL to develop.

We should have a " Hockey Talk " or " Everything Hockey " thread where the conversation goes where ever posters chose.

The Luongo trade / discussion thread is used to discuss and argue about every hockey related issue. Its less about Luongo and more about other issues re the Canucks and the NHL.

Why not just have a designated thread to discuss whatever comes to mind. an Everything Hockey thread and keep this thread on topic.

Archived