The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Everyone Who Hates Raymond

Youth_Movement

There really is no place for Raymond here. He simply hasn't reached the offensive potential a soft forward needs to have in order to fit on a team that is structured like ours. I'm sure there are teams out there that could use Raymond's skill-set. However, this team struggles with being soft; this team does not struggle with defensive awareness nor does it really struggle with speed.

Simply put, Raymond is redundant/outclassed by other players. Booth is bigger and better offensively. Hansen is better defensively and on the forecheck. Schroeder, if he sticks, is better at passing and and plays C. Burrows is Burrows. Kesler is Kesler.

Raymond is redundant and outclassed, but not without value. There is no doubt that there are teams out there where his skill-set is lacking within a given line-up.

Perhaps his value is too low to bother trading... but his value is certainly not 0. If he were to be traded, it would likely be a result of a throw-in. No harm done, really. He was a 2nd Rounder anyways. If he proves us wrong and turns out to be a consistent 20+ goal scorer who can PK and play D, well that's a win in the first place.

As it stands, he's clogging up the roster IMO (well... when it's healthy)

First things First. Im not starting this thread because he scored a goal tonight. Im a long time forum reader first time poster. But enough is enough. Apparently this fanbase has to have a whipping boy....

Have none of you ever played on a team before? You support your brothers no matter what. If they have a bad day, week, month, season. You stick by them and support them no matter what. But what baffles me to no end. IS how KESLER gets a free pass last year cuz he is coming of an injury......... Are you serious. RAYMOND had a freaking broken back! Came back before kesler and still managed to put up points. But that isnt enough for you. You have to destroy the kids confidence by ripping on him nonstop.

Now he has had some time to heal and come back strong and there is threads popping up how he is completely useless 2 games in, after having a hatrick in a scrimmage. Ok my vent is over and i hope you haters can focus on whatever is so terrible in your life that you have to rag on a member of this team so you can feel better about yourself. I will go on record right now and say that raymond will have a breakout season and get back to his 25 goal season form. Especially with the chemistry he has found with schroeder. Take from this what you will. But the whole point of being a fan is to support your team no matter what. NOT sit behind your keyboard and bully the sh1t outta them!!!

Raymond shouldn't be this team's whipping boy, guys like Burrows, Kesler and Malhotra should be. Their production COMPLETELY dried up at the end of last season and hasn't picked up again this season (we'll see how good Kesler is when he returns).

Burrows was invisibile with the twins counting back to the end of last season, Kesler had something like 1 goal in his last 18 games and Malhotra has struggled to score for the last 2 years. However no one picks on them because they're this teams "leaders", good penalty killers (not anymore actually, our PK is stinking it up) and have scored big goals in the past so everyone loves them.

The difference is Burrows, Kesler and Malhotra do other things good, too... and have built up credibility during their time here.

Raymond hasn't accomplished anything but keeping the ice clean between zambonis...

Yea, Burr hasn't done anything for the first 3 games this season, and Raymond scored a goal. We all know who should be the fan fav, and who should be the whipping boy!

You are the definition of a bandwagoner.

THANK YOU !!!

omg ALL last season I ws readind these boards in disbelive. Yes he had a bad season but like the OP said he had a broken back... im so happy that he recoverd fully and can honestly say that I did not ever participate in this sick raymond bashing. He is a incredibly fast guy and he knows how to drive the puck into the offensive zone and give his teammates the chances to score goals.

GO MAYRAY

Did anyone catch Gary Valk's comments last night (on Sportsnet)? Gary knows what he's talking about. A former Canuck and NHLer. I'll take his comments over most of the CDCers any time.

MayRay played great in Anaheim. Great speed, strong on his skates and 2 goals. Anyone who knows hockey can see he is a different player than last year. Much stronger. It seems his wrist shot has a lot more zip. And it's not just about the points he's getting, as Gary said, he drew two penalties because of his speed and work with the puck. MayRay is back.

PS His centreman, Jordan Schroeder, had a good game. They seem to compliment each other.

Picking on Raymond is just sooo easy. He is the weakest Canuck. Kind of like abusing your kid sister. I get it.

Reality of the situation is......his speed, skill, and defensive awareness are pretty much top 3 on our team in these categories and last time i checked they are pretty important components to a hockey players value. Having Raymond in our line up allows us to push the pace of a game to a level many teams cannot maintain and this alone makes us a better team.

So far what i have seen of his play he looks stronger and his shot looks deadly.....a offseason of training and building his game instead of re habbing from a potentially career ending injury could pay off big time.

We need Raymond to succeed this year with our injury problems. I can't lie and say that I haven't been hard on MayRay. But I have turned the page and will be rooting for him everytime he hits the ice. If we want any chance at going deep into the playoffs. We need three scoring lines. And MayRay could be one of the answers to an anemic 3rd line. I know he has the skill to hold onto the puck and go where ever he wants with it. He just needs the will. And the last 3 games he has shown flashes of MayRay 2009-10. The kid's got speed to burn and a sick set of hands. And an above average wrist shot. Let's all give him the opportunity to show us he still has it. Because realistically, there is not a damn thing we can do about it but hope for the best. And that being a 13-16 goal season this year. Anything more would be a bonus, anything less would be a disappointment.

Archived