The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who REALLY is our #1 Defense man

zombieksa

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edler is our guy, then I would say Hamhuis followed up very closely by Juice.

Garrison has yet to prove himself, but I would still put him in front of Ballard who obviously isn't thirsty enough. (Either that or just has no chemistry offense-wise with the rest of the team) Tanev has been good, but I would still put him in as last. Still waiting on Barker to see just how he can play. :P

Edler is our guy, then I would say Hamhuis followed up very closely by Juice.

Garrison has yet to prove himself, but I would still put him in front of Ballard who obviously isn't thirsty enough. (Either that or just has no chemistry offense-wise with the rest of the team) Tanev has been good, but I would still put him in as last. Still waiting on Barker to see just how he can play. :P

Shea We... are not getting him :P

Like most people I would've said Hamhuis and should still be closest to that categorization, since he can skate, played really solid D and put up career highs in points with 37 (though he's on pace for better P.P.G. now, his +/- is in the negative and he's been less solid); I think Edler's making a bid to be the top offensive D-man with career high P.P.G. rate too (0.73) but he still makes mistakes (that turnover to Pavelski still makes me SMH...); Bieksa is inconsistent offensively (he did crank those couple of big goals recently but there was a huge stretch where he went pointless, though so did Shea Nashville), but toughness and in terms of clutch play he can get pretty effective (lucky?) --> I think he and Hammer should be put back together as the shutdown pair (good that MG did that in the practice lineup)

In short, each is good at something, now they just need to merge the 3 guys and clone him :P

Bieksa has been surprisingly good this season. Much more solid defensively than I've ever seen him before and he's scoring at a crazy pace right now (20 goal pace actually).

But overall you have to give it to Edler. Sure, Hamhuis is far better defensively than Edler, but Eddy brings everything else. Passing, goals, powerplay movement, he's a much better hitter, big body in front of our net, shot blocking, he does it all. He just needs a calming influence on him so he doesn't panic in his own zone.

Tanev and Edler are going to get trialed next game, hopefully Tanev can be that Salo-esque influence.

If we had an elite defense men we wouldn't be having so many issues regarding defense! To be honest the only two players who seem to be playing well so far this season on a consistent basis are Tanev and Ballard and AV is not playing them enough. I would say Edler is close to being an elite but he needs to be more consistent, then again isn't he also playing on the wrong side?

Archived