The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we gun shy to pull the trigger on deals.

CanuckleHorse

MG was also hired as a rookie GM. IT was a shock to me when he was hired. One would think with a team that had the likes of the sedins and luongo the Canucks would have hired a seasoned more proven GM instead of a rookie.

Because in situations like this, things such as not pulling the trigger can occur, or pulling the trigger and giving up to much like premature moves happen. For instance why not wait till july 1st, if we lost out on hamhuis why not then try to trade for Ballard, we would have had a 1st round pick like Howden and could have made a trade at a different time. He prematurely made the move and now we have too many high priced lhd.

Same goes with signing Garrison, 6 years 4.6m ntc!!?? for a guy who had one decent year where a large portion of his points and goals were score in the first half of the season, seriously come one im sure gm's around the league couldnt believe that move. Dont get me wrong I like garrison but I was hoping for a bridge contract of 2-3years at around 3 m or so as a home town discount.

Once a goalie trade happens that is a huge telling of where our team is headed and what MG has done. I agree with the post about Kadri. I saw his potential and I think he just needed a fresh start and thought he could be serviceable and excel, well that boat and sailed.

The coach should be on the hot seat hes had many years with a great roster and hasnt done enough past 2nd round once, yes it was cup final game 7. Who cares president trophies big whoop it sure helped when we played the 8th seed last year and got ousted early in the 1st round.

If i was the owner I would be a bit concerned with the direction of this team. Losing our toughest player to waivers, he could hit, was a decent skater and stood up for teammates what more can you ask for in a 4th line grinder? Now we have a ton of money spent on D men and goalies, and some higher priced forwards who are injury prone and havent had time to gel (booth,Kesler)

Wheres are so despereately needed secondary scoring? Remove our great goaltending performances early in the year and we could but in a whole different situation. You cant rely on a goalie every night, same as the cup final. Even tho Luo had some crapty games he also won us a few aswell. Our team scored 8 goals all series, Most teams would have lost in 4 or 5 games if that was the case. And to this date we still lack quality secondary scoring 2 years later...

If getting Zack Kassian, who was nowhere NEAR as effective as Hodgson was last year, for Cody "supposed Trevor Linden 2.0" Hodgson is gun-shy, then sure he can be called gun shy. IF getting guys via free agency to add to the core group already here without giving up picks, prospects, pending UFA's is gun shy, then yes he is gun shy. If being responsible with his future assets and cap space, at the expense of getting an expensive elite guy who may or may not get it done and who for almost certain wouldn't be around in the future (i.e. a rental) is gun shy, then yes, he SHOULD be gun shy! He's set the Sedins and other core guys as the key pieces, so who would you suggest they move from that group to get a big name piece, at the expense of our depth of talent?

Thing is, why affect the chemistry that's already present? I'd rather have him tinkering (and of course adding guys like Higgins and Lapierre in moves where possible) but the roster structure's been set, with the Sedins, Burrows and Kes as the keys for the Top 6, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler in the D and Lu or Schneider in goal, with a mishmash of solid complementary guys. How could anyone miss that fact?

Thing is folks, it takes more than guts to make trades. Without proper deliberation the team would end up looking worse than before, and THEN people would be asking for his head. Y'all should be happy that he wants both short AND long-term success for this team.

Besides, riddle me this: how often do you see game-breaking players for sale? If they WERE for sale it would be b/c they were struggling. Now, if they're struggling (think Ovie when he was slumping) why would you want them at that price? Come on people! :picard:

As far as I know, Leafs never offered up Kadri to us. Brian Burkes best offer was Luke Schenn a 1st round pick in 2013 and a 2nd round pick in 2013 for Luongo, which is laugable. on top of that, we already heard through rumors that Luongo did not want to waive his NTC to Toronto. So Kadri or not, it will never happen.

Oi yoi yoi. MG has said numerous times that making hockey trades can take alot of time, and can involve many variables. And you forget other teams are operating on the same principles. To uninformed fans, it`s easy to think making trades is no different

than NHL13.

I`m sure Gillis is examining weaknesses of the team and determining what to do about it. Let the man do his job.

i think mg is a crappy gm, only good move he had was trading for higgins, dont say hamhuis because so many teams offered him contracts and the only reason he came here was because hes a BC boy and wanted to play at home, its not like gillis pulled any magic to get him

MG was also hired as a rookie GM. IT was a shock to me when he was hired. One would think with a team that had the likes of the sedins and luongo the Canucks would have hired a seasoned more proven GM instead of a rookie.

Because in situations like this, things such as not pulling the trigger can occur, or pulling the trigger and giving up to much like premature moves happen. For instance why not wait till july 1st, if we lost out on hamhuis why not then try to trade for Ballard, we would have had a 1st round pick like Howden and could have made a trade at a different time. He prematurely made the move and now we have too many high priced lhd.

Same goes with signing Garrison, 6 years 4.6m ntc!!?? for a guy who had one decent year where a large portion of his points and goals were score in the first half of the season, seriously come one im sure gm's around the league couldnt believe that move. Dont get me wrong I like garrison but I was hoping for a bridge contract of 2-3years at around 3 m or so as a home town discount.

Once a goalie trade happens that is a huge telling of where our team is headed and what MG has done. I agree with the post about Kadri. I saw his potential and I think he just needed a fresh start and thought he could be serviceable and excel, well that boat and sailed.

The coach should be on the hot seat hes had many years with a great roster and hasnt done enough past 2nd round once, yes it was cup final game 7. Who cares president trophies big whoop it sure helped when we played the 8th seed last year and got ousted early in the 1st round.

If i was the owner I would be a bit concerned with the direction of this team. Losing our toughest player to waivers, he could hit, was a decent skater and stood up for teammates what more can you ask for in a 4th line grinder? Now we have a ton of money spent on D men and goalies, and some higher priced forwards who are injury prone and havent had time to gel (booth,Kesler)

Wheres are so despereately needed secondary scoring? Remove our great goaltending performances early in the year and we could but in a whole different situation. You cant rely on a goalie every night, same as the cup final. Even tho Luo had some crapty games he also won us a few aswell. Our team scored 8 goals all series, Most teams would have lost in 4 or 5 games if that was the case. And to this date we still lack quality secondary scoring 2 years later...

Yeah I know, trades are hard to make, you have to find the perfect fit and the perfect partner.

I am willing to bet out of every 10 possibilites you explore with any reasonability, atleast 9.5 of those endevors fail to gain any serious traction.

Trades aren't easy to make, people gotta understand MG can't get whoever he wants whenever he wants too.

i think mg is a crappy gm, only good move he had was trading for higgins, dont say hamhuis because so many teams offered him contracts and the only reason he came here was because hes a BC boy and wanted to play at home, its not like gillis pulled any magic to get him

Archived