The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins plan to stay in Vancouver with the Canucks

elvis15

Guest Dasein

If anything they'll get a raise, and will at least stay above 6 million dollars.

Look across the league - these guys should have been paid close to 7 million the past 4 years.

I'm thinking 6-6.5 million per year depending on the length of the contract.

It had better be in a diminished role and less salary. They can't be the leading point getters of the team. 70-80 points a season won't get us anywhere unless we have depth that can support the Sedins by putting up points from 2nd and 3rd lines. They aren't big enough and every opponent has a playbook on them by now. They are not elite anymore - not in the same realm as Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Toews, Ovechkin, etc. If we spend all our money on them, it'll be a bleak few years. Time to start making the transition to the next generation a bit.

That all being said, it'd be nice for them to play out their entire careers here. They will always be remembered as Canucks and it wouldn't be fitting if they put on any other jersey. Few players have the pleasure of playing for only one team but I believe the Sedins are deserving of that honour.

It had better be in a diminished role and less salary. They can't be the leading point getters of the team. 70-80 points a season won't get us anywhere unless we have depth that can support the Sedins by putting up points from 2nd and 3rd lines. They aren't big enough and every opponent has a playbook on them by now. They are not elite anymore - not in the same realm as Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Toews, Ovechkin, etc. If we spend all our money on them, it'll be a bleak few years. Time to start making the transition to the next generation a bit.

That all being said, it'd be nice for them to play out their entire careers here. They will always be remembered as Canucks and it wouldn't be fitting if they put on any other jersey. Few players have the pleasure of playing for only one team but I believe the Sedins are deserving of that honour.

Mike Ribeiro is 33 and scored 49 points last year and signed for 5.5 per..Personally I think Sedins are way better than Ribeiro, but that may be a starting point in negotations.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got a raise to somewhere in the 6.5-7 range, as they did take a discount last time and seeing how this will likely be their last contract they may want to get paid.

Hopefully thats not the case tho and they do take a discount again, but I'd be surprised if they took anything less than 5.5, especially when you consider what some of the other stars in the league are making. Though I do think people like Perry and Getzlaf are being overpaid you can certainly see it from an agents point of view that there is no way the Sedins are worth 2.25 million less than Getzlaf

I think the best thing for the Sedins is to go 1 year, 1 year, 1 year until they retire. They do take alot of punishment with cycling so anything could happen. If the cap does go up significantly then 6.5-7 million per seems something they wouldn't mind signing to.

It's absolutely despicable to see people here valuing the Sedins at less than their current contract. Maybe you people should take a look at their contributions to both the team and the community and then read the tale of Daniel Alfredson.

The Sedins have EARNED their contract. I expect them to sign for 6.5-7.0 per year, which is still a discount, for five years, possibly six. They already took a pay cut to stay, to try to get them to do it again when the last one didn't accomplish anything other than bringing in high priced bench warmers, is not likely to go over well with them.

If they want to have another sniff at Lord Stanley, they have to take a pay cut to bring in some help. They don't seem like the type of guys that live a flashy expensive lifestyle so they probly saved a few bucks for the second half of their lives.

I know I'm dreaming but wouldn't it be awesome if they played the next 4 years at 3 million a year each.

Archived