The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The September Camp Thread,list of invitees, cuts etc updated daily

Primal Optimist

I think you might be on to something. Sick lineup.

If Shinkaruk continues his stellar play we might have another problem with too many good players.

I think Weise is a lock for extra forward and for another extra forward we could have Sestito and Archibald make a case for the tough guy extra.

I think Archibald is a much more effective "enforcer" than Sestito.

Only carry one extra D. Either Weber or Alberts.

I think you might be on to something. Sick lineup.

If Shinkaruk continues his stellar play we might have another problem with too many good players.

I think Weise is a lock for extra forward and for another extra forward we could have Sestito and Archibald make a case for the tough guy extra.

I think Archibald is a much more effective "enforcer" than Sestito.

Only carry one extra D. Either Weber or Alberts.

What do you guys think of this lineup

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Kesler Shinkaruk

Booth Shroeder Gaunce

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Shinkaruk has shown chemistry with kes and burrows, I think with more games that line could really kill it.

And Shroeder in between two big line mates like Guance and Booth would benefit how small Shroeder.

I don't think I need to say anything about our 4th line. Easily the best 4th line in the league

He (Shinkaruk) is quickly becoming a Fan Favorite though. The thing I am not big on with that lineup is Hansen on the 4th...it makes no sense really, and feels like its just done to force Gaunce up to the third. Hansen has been our BEST bottom six player since the eye injury to Malhotra. So in my mind, if you swap Hansen and Gaunce in Jensnipe's lineup, then your catching my interest big time. A thouroughly deep winning calibre lineup from top to bottom. The obvious 'weak points' being Kass and Shinkaruk in the top six. Not for lack of skill, but experience. Of course, you have the option of sliding folks up and down as the season wears on. Good lineup all in all.

He (Shinkaruk) is quickly becoming a Fan Favorite though. The thing I am not big on with that lineup is Hansen on the 4th...it makes no sense really, and feels like its just done to force Gaunce up to the third. Hansen has been our BEST bottom six player since the eye injury to Malhotra. So in my mind, if you swap Hansen and Gaunce in Jensnipe's lineup, then your catching my interest big time. A thouroughly deep winning calibre lineup from top to bottom. The obvious 'weak points' being Kass and Shinkaruk in the top six. Not for lack of skill, but experience. Of course, you have the option of sliding folks up and down as the season wears on. Good lineup all in all.

It is all about minutes...but getting back to the personnel on those lines, really the only reason Booth, Schroeder, Gaunce wouldn't be the 4th line is that booth is on it. Take booth off that line and it screams 5 minutes a game, right? I think it is a very unlikely scenario. Not out of the question, but not likely. I think Booth is expected, when he returns, to play with Kes, as that is exactly what was in mind when they went out and got him. Injuries have been the issue with Booth as a 2nd liner, not skillset. But we will see, this is what the preseason is for!

It is all about minutes...but getting back to the personnel on those lines, really the only reason Booth, Schroeder, Gaunce wouldn't be the 4th line is that booth is on it. Take booth off that line and it screams 5 minutes a game, right? I think it is a very unlikely scenario. Not out of the question, but not likely. I think Booth is expected, when he returns, to play with Kes, as that is exactly what was in mind when they went out and got him. Injuries have been the issue with Booth as a 2nd liner, not skillset. But we will see, this is what the preseason is for!

I think that the 4th line is the PERFECT place for Gaunce to start out. THers little pressure to produce offence from that role. Just be solid positionally and hard on the forecheck and gritty in the crease. I think thats a role that suits his game right now, and also gives him the chance to learn how to be a pro, and possibly be ready to step into a bigger role as the season wears on. I also think he's looked pretty good on the LW, so having him instead of Tostitos would be an upgrade.

I sort of see him on a 4th line of Gaunce - Santorelli/Richardson - Wiese

Lets face it, if Tostitos is in our starting lineup in any game besides the ones where you want a knuckle dragger, we're in trouble.

I'd like to see a pre season lineup of

sedin sedin kassian

booth kesler schroeder

higgins santorelli burrows

gaunce richardson hansen

but think the final roster will look a little more like

sedin sedin kassian

booth kesler burrows

higgins schroeder/santorelli/richardson hansen

gaunce schroeder/santorelli/richardson weise/santorelli

shinkaruk and horvat to go back to junior, team canada, and the a memorial cup for at least horvat in a leadership role. chances are imo that next season, one of the two will be ready to contribute to the nhl roster. theres enough bodies at the moment, and no need to rush either of these players, unless shinkaruk rips up the rest of the pre-season

jensen has played himself off the roster. not sure what to make of him right now, but a full year in utica under travis green wont hurt his development.

I think Jensen gets one more chance in the preseason. If he continues to float, better luck next year. If he shines, and remains shining through camp, MAYBE he gets his 9 games. No way does he make the team full time.

I suppose he'd be first in line for a winger call-up? Although a lot of our centers can play wing, now, and we are deep at center again.

I would also be fine with Gaunce on the 4th line but with a caveat. If Gaunce is going to be on the 4th line, he needs to be getting 8-10 minutes of 5v5 ice time plus some PK and PP shifts so that his total TOI is 11-13 minutes. I really feel like he would benefit more develop more from 11-13 "soft minutes" in the NHL than he would from 20+ "hard minutes" in the OHL.

Archived