The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Discussing Edler for Franzen Trade w/ Detroit, Interest in Gaborik/Vanek/Moulson, Calls on Kesler

Garbage source.

Taking on Franzen would be stupid, even though Detroit would have to add a nice piece or two to make it happen. He's a cap dump, buyout material. We don't need that, I'd rather keep Booth for his last year. I'd rather keep Edler for that matter.

If Gillis is gonna trade Edler it needs to be for youth, not for a guy in his thirties with another six years at almost 4m left on his contract. Regardless of what's added, that's a terrible deal.

^To add to the above: Wouldn't mind getting younger quickly, back on D. Maybe vets ARE overrated. We supposedly had this "elite" vet D group, but where has it gotten us?

San Jose went with younger D, a season or two back..There were growing pains, but they seem to be doing fine about now. Our org's strength seems to be 'tending. Maybe we should approach like the Leafers, & accept more shots(depend on out gt's), & try the ramblin', gamblin' approach to life?

Say, keep Hamm, Tanev, & Eds, & insert a buncha' young, eager beavers (Stants, Sauve, Corrado, etc...). Only the acquired ones(in trades) should have size & grit!

If this "report" is to be believed, does Mike Gillis REALLY want to play with fire and be known as an NHL GM who first gives players No Trade clauses only to later ask said player(s) to waive it for HIS benefit so he can improve the team that HE built?

Don't look for any impact UFA's to come to Van City for the entire duration of his tenure as GM if so.

If this "report" is to be believed, does Mike Gillis REALLY want to play with fire and be known as an NHL GM who first gives players No Trade clauses only to later ask said player(s) to waive it for HIS benefit so he can improve the team that HE built?

Don't look for any impact UFA's to come to Van City for the entire duration of his tenure as GM if so.

Now that I think of it, has Gillis attracted big name UFAs to sign here that didn't already expressed interest in coming here? (Hamhuis.Garrison) He had to overbid the other teams to get Sundin... he got lucky Sundin only took the 1 year as opposed to the 2 years Gillis proposed.

I'm not as negative about this report as most of you, assuming there could be more pieces involved.

For example, If it was a deal like:

Franzen, B Smith, 1st/Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco

For

Edler, Hansen

I think we'd have to take a good look at it.

Sedins-Franzen

Higgins-Kesler-Kassian

Burrows-Nyquist/Tatar/Jurco-Booth

Sestito-Richardson-Dalpe

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Stanton-Smith

Weber-Diaz

This has the potential to be very good over the next little while with Horvat, Corrado and Santorelli being added next year for Booth, Dalpe and Diaz/Weber

trading a prime asset for a 34 year old player that's under contract for $4 mil per until he's 41 and can't seem to play more than 40 games a year?

i don't think even gillis is desperate enough to make that deal.

4th period is worse than eklund though so i'm not concerned.

Now that I think of it, has Gillis attracted big name UFAs to sign here that didn't already expressed interest in coming here? (Hamhuis.Garrison) He had to overbid the other teams to get Sundin... he got lucky Sundin only took the 1 year as opposed to the 2 years Gillis proposed.

Big name no but smaller names that have played big roles yes...Its not all about signing the best available its about getting whats needed(Malholtra/Richardson for 3C for example) Does he need to sign a Vanek or a Moulson in this coming offseason? IMO no need to get a better supporting cast like Hemsky or Setoguchi...

As I said in another thread I would rather 3 average goal scorers then 1 elite

One could say on the other side of the things that what free agent would sign with a GM who does not do everything it takes to make his team better. I only want the guys who want to win and with a commitment to winning.

Archived