08.................McCollum....1st round

09.................Ferraro  32 nd pick

10.................Sheahan 1st round

11.................Jurco 35th pick

12..................Frk 2nd round

13..................Mantha 1st round

14..................Larkin  1st round a great pick

15..................Svechnikov 1st round

All stars for sure and rather than develop they've fast forwarded Larkin as a 18 year old direct to the big team. :P

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

... rather than develop they've fast forwarded Larkin as a 18 year old direct to the big team. :P

No, Larkin spent his 18 year old D+1 season playing NCAA for the University of Michigan.  He turned 19 last July.

There isn't a team in the NHL that would have him anywhere but the NHL this season.  He's been rather successful since turning pro last spring in time to score 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 playoff games for Grand Rapids, he's just set a new record in the fastest skater competition at the all-star game, leads the Wings in scoring and in goals and (I hesitate to mention this) leads the league in +/-.

Leave out the +/- stat and he's still way too good not to be in the NHL.   it's not ignoring development to bring a player to the NHL when he's ready to be a star at the highest level.  

Just now, tyhee said:

No, Larkin spent his 18 year old D+1 season playing NCAA for the University of Michigan.  He turned 19 last July.

There isn't a team in the NHL that wouldn't have him anywhere but the NHL this season.  He's been rather successful since turning pro last spring in time to score 3 goals and 2 assists in 6 playoff games for Grand Rapids, he's just set a new record in the fastest skater competition at the all-star game, leads the Wings in scoring and in goals and (I hesitate to mention this) leads the league in +/-.

Leave out the +/- stat and he's still way too good not to be in the NHL.   it's not fast-tracking a player when he's already more than capable of playing at the highest level.

I'd agree with you re Larkin, but I get fed up with having how Detroit "develops" it's players in Grand Rapids....it's not a fixed method those that are found to be wanting play in the AHL....and there's a lot of them in Detroits case. A fallacy perpetuated by by many that don't check the Detroit current record and keep harking back to the 90's

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

In the case of Chi look at the high picks they had.....which tells you how bad they were at one time. I see Detroit after some lucky drafting in the later rounds are now fast tracking Larkin....so much for development and frankly after Datysuk and Zettersburg  hang them up not exactly over flowing with great talent. The team to watch the next couple of years is Florida and I've been saying that for  quite a while

Yeah, Florida is an emerging powerhouse because of the consistently good drafting they've done.  But like Chicago they have had some pretty high picks that Detroit never really did in recent decades.  Detroit's "slow cook" method of development certainly had a good run but there's an in-built limit:  eventually you start to lose good prospects when they become waiver eligible.  Scouting is so intensive these days that I doubt we ever see the like of the development plan that Detroit pulled off, either there or anywhere else. 

On ‎1‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:00 PM, Fred65 said:

His first two years any way were impacted by the leagues announcment that it intended to make the game more skilled. ie smaller players would be in vogue. Turned out they were BS'ing Schroder and to some degree Hodgson were the result for Vcr picks. Although Hodgson and Co. did kind of do it to themselves too. Once it became apprent that the league was going to stick with the status quo he chnaged his drafting philosophy and went big with his picks

You sound like Gillis himself.

Its always someone else's fault?

8 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, Florida is an emerging powerhouse because of the consistently good drafting they've done.  But like Chicago they have had some pretty high picks that Detroit never really did in recent decades.  Detroit's "slow cook" method of development certainly had a good run but there's an in-built limit:  eventually you start to lose good prospects when they become waiver eligible.  Scouting is so intensive these days that I doubt we ever see the like of the development plan that Detroit pulled off, either there or anywhere else. 

I think this is an important point. We have constantly heard about the "Detroit model". I think the Detroit model consisted of getting a franchise defenceman in the 3rd round (Lidstrom) and franchise forwards even deeper in the draft (Datsyuk and Zetterberg). Those were smart moves and good picks but, with modern scouting and communications, it is not going to happen again. A team might get one franchise player that way, but not three.

8 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Florida is going to be a handful. They have some slick skills in Huberdeau & Barkov, not to mention Jagr. But they have seriously imposing combinations of speed and size. In fact some very massive players in Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Barkov, Ekblad, again Jagr & Petrovic (last two in the not so fast but massive category)...

We're getting bigger. Also faster. And Zalewski helps. But its not the same.

I suppose we'll see in two years when we have combinations of Etem, Hansen, Sutter and Virtanen flying up the ice. Sven, Horvat (who is tank) and McCann circling about looking to pounce on loose pucks. 

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Florida is going to be a handful. They have some slick skills in Huberdeau & Barkov, not to mention Jagr. But they have seriously imposing combinations of speed and size. In fact some very massive players in Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Barkov, Ekblad, again Jagr & Petrovic (last two in the not so fast but massive category)...

I suppose we'll see in two years when we have combinations of Etem, Hansen, Sutter and Virtanen flying up the ice. Sven, Horvat (who is tank) and McCann circling about looking to pounce on loose pucks. 

Yeah, we have a ways to go before we can hang with them.  Our forward group may be able to match theirs, but on D we are light years behind, although with some reason for hope if we can land Tryamkin.

But back to Zalewski:  this guy is starting to look like a formidable 4C with the potential to move up the lineup.  With players like him, Dorsett, Gaunce, Virtanen and Etem in the mix, our 4th line is going to be no fun to play against next year, and score some goals too. 

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Florida is looking like the LA Kings east. I hope for Lou's sake that they make a run this spring.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account @NEWS1130Sports 23h23 hours ago

Benning says Alex Grenier and Mike Zalewski are two players in Utica he wants to see play some games with the Canucks this spring.

good to hear.  I hope management trims some fat from the roster and gets these guys on the big club.  maybe a little more AHL time for Z but it will be sink or swim for Grenier.

HF Ranking Spring 2016

14. (NR) Mike Zalewski, LW, 6.0C
Signed as free agent, March 2014

Mike Zalewski wasn’t even a member of the Canucks to start the 2015-16 season but managed to earn a contract with the Utica Comets. His strong play earned him a new NHL contract for the remainder of the 2015-16 season and a brief call-up to the Canucks in late January. Now back in Utica, Zalewski continues to play important minutes for the Comets as he tries to earn another contract for next season. If re-signed, Zalewski should be in the mix for a bottom-six role with the Canucks once again next season and at worst he has proven to be a good depth option.

• 1 month later...

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account @NEWS1130Sports 3h3 hours ago

Utica gm Pat Conacher tells me that Mike Zalewski made the biggest jump this season in terms of getting closer to the NHL. #Canucks

Ben Birnell@OD_Birnell 3h3 hours ago

Ben Birnell Retweeted NEWS 1130 Sports

Travis Green was also impressed by Zalewski this season. Also won team's most improved player award in 15-16.

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account @NEWS1130Sports 3h3 hours ago

Utica gm Pat Conacher tells me that Mike Zalewski made the biggest jump this season in terms of getting closer to the NHL. #Canucks

Ben Birnell@OD_Birnell 3h3 hours ago

Ben Birnell Retweeted NEWS 1130 Sports

Travis Green was also impressed by Zalewski this season. Also won team's most improved player award in 15-16.

Canucks 13th forward next year IMO.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Canucks 13th forward next year IMO.

I would say he's in the mix for it, at least. Between him, Gaunce, Grenier; if one or two gets traded, I wouldn't be very surprised, especially Gaunce to sweeten a deal getting us back in the first round (somewhere in the late teens, early twenties). I've been following Grenier since he was drafted (reasons 1,2 and 3...he's big with a very good wrister). but Zalewski seems to possible fit in better as he can play both wing/center, and he's not small (isn't he like 6'2"?), and doesn't float like Grenier seems to at times.

1 hour ago, arcanuck said:

I would say he's in the mix for it, at least. Between him, Gaunce, Grenier; if one or two gets traded, I wouldn't be very surprised, especially Gaunce to sweeten a deal getting us back in the first round (somewhere in the late teens, early twenties). I've been following Grenier since he was drafted (reasons 1,2 and 3...he's big with a very good wrister). but Zalewski seems to possible fit in better as he can play both wing/center, and he's not small (isn't he like 6'2"?), and doesn't float like Grenier seems to at times.

Yup, good 13th. Plays wing or c, good size, good defensively...

• 1 month later...

Archived