The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rich Asian Girls: Latest Vancouver Reality Show - Update

DonLever

From The Vancouver Sun:

As long as we have fun, who cares about spending a little bit of money?” asks a bejeweled and coiffed character in a recently released YouTube clip ostensibly promoting an upcoming Vancouver-based reality TV show, dubbed HBICtv.

The show is all about “the Luxurious Lifestyles of the Ultra Rich Asian Girls in Vancouver,” according to an HBICtv Facebook page set up just a few days before the video was uploaded.

“Are you the next #HBIC of Vancouver? Got a Centurion Black Amex Card?” reads a post on the page. “Hermes, Lanvin, Dior, Louboutin, Chanel, Lambos and Ferraris are all a part of the daily lives of our HBICtv Divas.”

The YouTube clip backs up that claim with shots of fast cars, gift-wrapped luxury items and fine jewelry intermixed with airy lines spoken by characters Crystal Chen, Lisa Li and others.

The polished clip is credited to Desmond Chen and Kevin K Li, a video producer with experience working for CTV and City TV, according to his LinkedIn page. The clip does not say whether the similarity in names between actors and producers are coincidental.

As to whether the whole production is part of a legitimate attempt at the city’s next big reality show or an elaborate hoax is yet to be seen. But the folks behind HBICtv tweeted out a casting call with auditions slated for June 26.

Online response to the clip and the call for cast was one part skepticism, one part disgust and a small dash of jealousy.

“I wish I was "ultra rich Asian girl," tweeted @lindywoo.

mrobinson@vancouversun.com

By Vancity Buzz Staff | 5 hours ago | Speak Up

• irst there was the Real Housewives of Vancouver, then there was the Real Hipste
  • First there was the Real Housewives of Vancouver, then there First there was the Real Housewives of Vancouver, then there was the Real Hipsters of Vancouver and now there is the Ultra Rich Asian Girls of Vancouver.was the Real Hipsters of Vancouver and now there is the Ultra Rich Asian Girls of Vancouver.
  • rs of Vancouver and now there is the Ultra Rich Asian Girls of Vancouver.

Not much is known at the moment but they are holding a casting call and auditions on June 26, 2014. The “reality” show is claiming to be all about the luxurious lifestyles of this city’s rich asian population.

Here is the description for the casting call:

Are you the next #HBIC of Vancouver? Got a Centurion Black Amex Card?

Hermes, Lanvin, Dior, Louboutin, Chanel, Lambos and Ferraris are all a part of the daily lives of our HBICtv Divas

Stay tuned for Venue and more information.

In a world in which we're trying to eliminate racism, why is this title ok vs simply "rich girls"? Honestly, as long as we use race to lump people together to identify them it remains an issue and in the forefront.

This show highlights what's wrong with the world today. With so many young people doing great things the emphasis on being rich or beautiful is rather shallow and I tend to think, becoming outdates and boring. I'd rather watch "Poor Turtles Crossing The Road" every week.

Nicole and Paris did this already and, honestly, it gives girls a bad rep when they're viewed as nothing more than dimwits with manicures and heels.

I know that everyone has different tastes, but I never understood how someone can consistantly watch reality tv programs like this one.

The way I look at it is...How boring does your own life gotta be if you have to watch other peoples lives for a source of entertainment?

I cant wait for reality tv to run its course, they have done a show on just about everything by now,,it gets more ridiculous all the time...thanks for warning me about this one. :sick:

The only reality show I semi like is Survivor and even that is getting old.

"In a world in which we're trying to eliminate racism, why is this title ok vs simply "rich girls"?

Agreed, but a title of "Some Rich Girls, That Do Stupid Things, Not That All Rich Girls Do Stupid Things, For The Cameras" is a bit wordy.

I would be more specific and call them "Recently landed immigrants from Mainland China whose fathers are/were likely corrupt politicians or the buddy of one".

This show highlights the problems of foreign investor programs and the recent tidal wave of immigrants from Mainland China. I'm very impartial to them. They give the rest of the Chinese community in the Lower Mainland (the majority are already very segregated from other racial groups) a horrible name.

Case in point: rich Mainlanders flying around in a helicopter to pick out which mansions they want in South Surrey/White Rock.

Archived