The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Just noticed that JV has over 200 pages of comments more than all the other players combined. What is it that is so poloarizing or controversial about him that illicits that ridiculous discrepancy in the # of comments?

The fact that he started his NHL career before going back down the AHL created about 500 pages of a "bust or not bust" conversation. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Has more than Ryan Johansen, Alex Steen, Patrick Sharp, Mitch Marner, Riley Nash etc etc.    Quietly having a decent next step season.   If he can hit 12 to 15 goals this year along with about that many assists, that would be huge offensive contribution to go with responsible game he has been bringing.

This kid has all the tools and he’s get the opportunities to score but sometimes when I see him shoot it looks like he’s shooting to just get it on net, he need to start trying to pick corner. Also he needs to stop this curl back #%!# and take it to the damn net. If his finish was better this season could have seen him scoring 20

• Upvote 1

From Friedmans 31 thoughts.

5. Whatever it may look like with his ice-time, I left Vancouver last week believing the Canucks have a long-term plan for Jake Virtanen. They see a big, strong, fast guy who can shoot it. Whatever happened before, they don’t want to give up. I do think, however, they will try to find another spot for Alexander Burmistrov.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The fact that he started his NHL career before going back down the AHL created about 500 pages of a "bust or not bust" conversation. 

This along with him being a home grown talent and the highest pick the franchise had in a long long time have contributed to his popularity and polarizing discussion

• Upvote 1

With all the injuries its time to give Jake a real shot to step up, hes not gonna put up any numbers with Gaunce and Chaput. Yes they have been an energetic line but Gaunce and Chaput have a total of 7 career NHL goals. They can find someone else with speed to replace jake on that line.

He needs to be playing up in the top six, and let him start putting up some numbers and get his confidence up. I'd love to see him try up on the left wing with Boeser and maybe Gagner in the middle. He has a good shot as well, why not put him in that Boeser spot on the second unit and set him up for a couple one timers, or maybe use his speed on the penalty kill. I know they are trying to play the long game with him and make him earn it. But right now with the injuries, just cut him loose and see what happens. 

I just get the feeling he is so close to busting the doors down but hes on a line with a couple offensive anchors.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheHitman said:

They really need to get Jake to work on his puck control and positional play, he's moved well the last few games but any time the puck is on his stick it's an easy takeaway for most defenders.

But I think he is one of the leaders in relation to that ratio where he has more takeaways than giveaways. (not sure how accurate that stat is)

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks-team-stats?season=2017&category=DEFENSE&time=0

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

For a guy who is built like a bull, he isn't using that stature to the fullest ability. 

Needs to be more of a physical presence.

All part of the learning process. Gaunce went through a similar thing, learning to use his body, the right way, at the right times, at this level.

There's a lot more going on there than I think the casual fan gives credit for. You need confidence to be physical at this level against the best players in the world. You need to understand positioning, timing, read the play etc to make sure you get the guy more often than not, not leave yourself out of position, not allow outnumbered rushes the other way etc.

These kids need to learn to do all of those things at the highest level in the world. I know everyone wants them to just show up and 'get it' but it's really not that easy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

gaunce is not using his body, one hit in a game and they are baby hits. you are right about jake , tho he hits harder. jake needs to get away from gaunce. gaunce's bad habits are rubbing off on jake.

Not sure what you've been watching but Gaunce frequently, smartly uses his body along the boards etc to seperate opposition from the puck. Gaunce/Virtanen have been our two most physical players of late.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, bree2 said:

gaunce is not using his body, one hit in a game and they are baby hits. you are right about jake , tho he hits harder. jake needs to get away from gaunce. gaunce's bad habits are rubbing off on jake.

Gaunce doesn't have bad habits :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

All part of the learning process. Gaunce went through a similar thing, learning to use his body, the right way, at the right times, at this level.

There's a lot more going on there than I think the casual fan gives credit for. You need confidence to be physical at this level against the best players in the world. You need to understand positioning, timing, read the play etc to make sure you get the guy more often than not, not leave yourself out of position, not allow outnumbered rushes the other way etc.

These kids need to learn to do all of those things at the highest level in the world. I know everyone wants them to just show up and 'get it' but it's really not that easy.

I agree confidence is an issue but I also think its about his mentality in reading the play.  In that Winnipeg game, as one of many examples, Virtanen had lots of room to drive the net from the right side, as he had the outside edge on the defender but it looked like he hesitated and went for a peripheral shot instead.  On a similar situation he did the same, but instead of driving the net when he had the opportunity, he elected to swing around the net to do a wrap around, but was knocked off the puck.  I enjoy that Virtanen has gotten part of the game where he knows he can use his speed and to skate hard, But those two examples, also shows that he didn't read the situation where he could've used his full body to leverage on the Dman and drive hard to the net.  Its still a mind set with Jake that needs to be changed, that he simply won't just beat players through speed and a hard shot alone.  He needs to use his god given natural biological gift (his heavy body) and crash the net.  Bring the puck to the net, create havoc.  

I understand that it will take some time to change that thinking and he will eventually get it, but sometimes it also just comes down to him reading the play and needing to mentally select the option "drive the net".  Its just frustrating that he has tailored his mind to that style yet, when he has the natural ability to do it.

Green has been trying to preach that to Jake since last season.  More chances you will cause the goalie to make a save, and cause for the defenders to scramble around, and can lead to those second and third chances that we often never get.   Its changing the mind set that more times than not, he is going to have to pay the price for doing it, whether its getting physically punished by a hit, contact, or having to stick up for himself when he does crash the net.  Not a lot of players like to take the abuse, but part of that selling yourself out for the team needs to be preached to all the players.  Doesn't sound great, but you gotta pay the price to reap rewards.  

Overall I think he has down very well actually protecting the puck, and engaging in board battles, but the next step to fully utliize that full body and physicality is driving to the net with his speed, not just doing laps around in the offensive zone. 

In the end, not bashing Virty, just something I saw he needs to develop in order for him to fully maximize his skillset.  Something I think Green is really trying to nurture out of him.

Jake has incredible speed.

That being said, he's not in this league if he doesn't have that speed. His passing is not NHL level, which is a pretty big problem for him and his line-mates. 

As long as he keeps his feet moving, he sticks in the NHL as a bottom 6 forward. If he can't learn to pass, he won't make it top 6 I don't think.

I want to see Jake drive to the net more ideally. I enjoy his play, but often, I see him barreling down the wing just to pull off and try some low-percentage shot or pass. He's a big man and if Bo can do it, I'm sure Jake could drive the net too.

• Upvote 1