The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He played great against Calgary. He was hard to play against and drove them crazy. He needs someone to help him out with the physical push back on a game by game basis - he can't do this alone for the entire season, but he can be effective if he has someone pulling on the rope with him. Dowd showed some spunk but we need someone who plays more minutes to handle some of the physicality.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Jake is the player I'm hoping steps up the most with all these injuries. No excuse to not give him some pp time, he's got all the tools to be the exact type of player this team needs right now, a power forward.

Jake has stepped up already, now Travis needs to give the guy some more rope.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I am excited about where Jake will be come April. It might take a couple of seasons to see where is real potential is but I like his attitude and of course his skill and physical attributes. Canucks have no one close to the same type. Hopefully Gadjovich as well.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I am excited about where Jake will be come April. It might take a couple of seasons to see where is real potential is but I like his attitude and of course his skill and physical attributes. Canucks have no one close to the same type. Hopefully Gadjovich as well.   

Green has brought Jake along very nicely. Clearly they have an understanding and mutual respect that is working out for both.

Seeing Virtanen as a full-time NHL player is awesome.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree and like I said with all these injuries there's no excuse to not give jake more opportunities to score, more specifically on the pp. A couple pp goals could really boost his confidence and bring his offensive game along I think .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

I agree and like I said with all these injuries there's no excuse to not give jake more opportunities to score, more specifically on the pp. A couple pp goals could really boost his confidence and bring his offensive game along I think .

He has a potent enough shot, and more than enough net front presence. I'd say it's a good idea.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green has brought Jake along very nicely. Clearly they have an understanding and mutual respect that is working out for both.

All he needs to do is learn how to pass the puck better when going full speed. You can see him hesitate to make plays at that speed. Which is why IMO he seems to always take the shot instead, or try and go behind the net, circle, and look for a pass. But never really finds anyone with it. He's reminding me a lot like Hansen this year, which is a great thing. Hansen has always had a bomb of a shot and was a vicious forechecker and general pain in everyones ass. But it took him several years to round out his "play making" game. Hope Jake learns quicker than him. But man, love what he is bringing each game. Gaunce and him are both due for some puck luck!

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

All he needs to do is learn how to pass the puck better when going full speed. You can see him hesitate to make plays at that speed. Which is why IMO he seems to always take the shot instead, or try and go behind the net, circle, and look for a pass. But never really finds anyone with it. He's reminding me a lot like Hansen this year, which is a great thing. Hansen has always had a bomb of a shot and was a vicious forechecker and general pain in everyones ass. But it took him several years to round out his "play making" game. Hope Jake learns quicker than him. But man, love what he is bringing each game. Gaunce and him are both due for some puck luck!

Certainly. Having two teammates to develop some chemistry with is huge too.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly. Having two teammates to develop some chemistry with is huge too.

Yeah, he has kinda bounced around the whole line up. But has shown the ablility to play with anyone. I thought he looked ok with the Sedins, but didn't last...this was before the Sedins re-ignited themselves tho. He needs a playmaker with him, i'm not blown away by the Goldy/Burmi/Virt line yet. But that line needs some time to develope chemistry, would like to see it left alone...I'm really hoping him and Goldy can pair up and make sweet sweet music together.

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yeah, he has kinda bounced around the whole line up. But has shown the ablility to play with anyone. I thought he looked ok with the Sedins, but didn't last...this was before the Sedins re-ignited themselves tho. He needs a playmaker with him, i'm not blown away by the Goldy/Burmi/Virt line yet. But that line needs some time to develope chemistry, would like to see it left alone...I'm really hoping him and Goldy can pair up and make sweet sweet music together.

That line was pretty good,.   I would like to see Dowd between Jake and Goldy..  Dowd has a bit of grit that would help Jake create his. 

2 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

On the first quote above, I remember one play against Calgary where Jake was coming in with speed, maybe a stride into the Calgary zone, and he attempted a saucer pass. It was knocked down, but that puck looked like it was going to hit the end boards before coming back down to ice. Totally agree that his passing and/or vision and awareness offensively are lacking so far. No worries for me though, obviously this will take time, and your Hansen example is a good reality check for some of the other impatient folks on here.

PB, I remember right after Jake drew a penalty, perhaps the Jagr holding call, there was a quick cut of Green patting him on the back and getting a few words in. I said in training camp that even if Jake wasn't quite ready for the NHL this season, he may end up making the team anyway since Green has obviously had such a wonderful impact on his focus, let alone his on-ice results. Very happy that they stayed together.

Overall, he's almost definitely my favourite player to watch this year, similar to how Nikita was last year. Every time he's around the puck, he's either going to do something hilarious (see first paragraph) or impressive as all heck (see end to end rushes or deft pocket-picking incidents). Adding a bit more poise, a bit better passing, and a bit more physical play, and I see him being a stunningly valuable player consistently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

That line was pretty good,.   I would like to see Dowd between Jake and Goldy..  Dowd has a bit of grit that would help Jake create his. 

I did not like Down at all in his first 2 games, but I knew better than to crap on him. Change is hard no matter where you go! He's been looking lately like a Dorsett player after all, you may be onto something. But I do worry about his ablility to win faceoffs, his numbers aren't great in that department...so the question to me is who is better at faceoffs for that line, because I want possession right away with them. Goldy crafty enough to get the puck and get it to Virt, Virt pressures it up ice, let the play develop from there...Burmistrov has the best FO % so far out of, Granlund, Gaunce, Dowd. The only other guy with decent FO % available right now is Gagne. I did not see that one coming lol!? He's never been known as a good FO centerman. But hey i'll take it!

1 hour ago, Guile said:

On the first quote above, I remember one play against Calgary where Jake was coming in with speed, maybe a stride into the Calgary zone, and he attempted a saucer pass. It was knocked down, but that puck looked like it was going to hit the end boards before coming back down to ice. Totally agree that his passing and/or vision and awareness offensively are lacking so far. No worries for me though, obviously this will take time, and your Hansen example is a good reality check for some of the other impatient folks on here.

PB, I remember right after Jake drew a penalty, perhaps the Jagr holding call, there was a quick cut of Green patting him on the back and getting a few words in. I said in training camp that even if Jake wasn't quite ready for the NHL this season, he may end up making the team anyway since Green has obviously had such a wonderful impact on his focus, let alone his on-ice results. Very happy that they stayed together.

Overall, he's almost definitely my favourite player to watch this year, similar to how Nikita was last year. Every time he's around the puck, he's either going to do something hilarious (see first paragraph) or impressive as all heck (see end to end rushes or deft pocket-picking incidents). Adding a bit more poise, a bit better passing, and a bit more physical play, and I see him being a stunningly valuable player consistently.

I like the Nikita comparison. They both bring "impact" to the game. You notice them each time when they are on the ice. Good and bad. To me it's a good sign tho. If a player is engaged and trying to make plays they won't get it 100% of the time, but at least they are out there making a difference, putting their "balls" on the line (you're welcome Sutter...lol). Eventually Jake will smooth out his game, as will Nikita. Both will be impact guys for this team going forward (yes i'm in the group that believes Nikita will come back).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I did not like Down at all in his first 2 games, but I knew better than to crap on him. Change is hard no matter where you go! He's been looking lately like a Dorsett player after all, you may be onto something. But I do worry about his ablility to win faceoffs, his numbers aren't great in that department...so the question to me is who is better at faceoffs for that line, because I want possession right away with them. Goldy crafty enough to get the puck and get it to Virt, Virt pressures it up ice, let the play develop from there...Burmistrov has the best FO % so far out of, Granlund, Gaunce, Dowd. The only other guy with decent FO % available right now is Gagne. I did not see that one coming lol!? He's never been known as a good FO centerman. But hey i'll take it!

I like the Nikita comparison. They both bring "impact" to the game. You notice them each time when they are on the ice. Good and bad. To me it's a good sign tho. If a player is engaged and trying to make plays they won't get it 100% of the time, but at least they are out there making a difference, putting their "balls" on the line (you're welcome Sutter...lol). Eventually Jake will smooth out his game, as will Nikita. Both will be impact guys for this team going forward (yes i'm in the group that believes Nikita will come back).

Same-o. Cheers to positivity.

• Cheers 1

Jake looking good these past few games. solid again tonight. hes starting to become a nightmare on board battles and infront of the net.  let alone his blazing speed and his "in tune" ness with the game. he seems to always be contributing. thats what we want to see. no more fly bys baby!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1