The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Hal Gill was never a good skater. But he had a good stick and of course size. I'd be happy if Tryramkin ended up like him defensively, but i doubt he stays in NA for long unless he ends up being a well-paid offensive star.

That's about as boom or bust as it gets. I hope he pans out.

Hal Gill was SMART.

If Tryamkin has some brains with his size and his already-better speed, he's going to be a very good player going forward.

has anyone watched the WJC bronze medal game between Canada-Russia? its a good one as Tryamkin and horvat both play. Tryamkin does look a bit goofy but he just keeps coming up with the puck, and he made nice safe plays, always seemed to be in position, played on the PK too. He seemed to move pretty well, and was obviously strong. Ray Ferraro gives him a pretty decent rap at the end of the game too.

has anyone watched the WJC bronze medal game between Canada-Russia? its a good one as Tryamkin and horvat both play. Tryamkin does look a bit goofy but he just keeps coming up with the puck, and he made nice safe plays, always seemed to be in position, played on the PK too. He seemed to move pretty well, and was obviously strong. Ray Ferraro gives him a pretty decent rap at the end of the game too.

Tryamkin looked like a young, faster Chara to me. That size, reach and skating ability alone is worth the pick.

I'm happy to see the KHL tracking stats to this degree, and having them easily available via the summaries on en.khl.ru (in English).

Looks to me like Tryamkin's being used as a #5, which is just fine by me for a player his age and starting the year. Hopefully his play allows him to move up into Avtomobilist's top-4 later into the season.

Nice to see him putting up the big blocks+hits totals, while also staying disciplined: 0 PIM and 1 FOA ("foul against" = penalty drawn).

I know the Canucks told Tryamkin they'd like him to get "meaner" but from what I've read from a couple Russian sources, he actually struggled to keep his temper in check earlier in his career and had some discipline issues when he played in the MHL. So I'm not looking for him to put-up any big PIM numbers this season in the K. That can come later (when he's introduced to the North American game)--and from what I've read, he's plenty "mean" enough when he wants to be.

For now, I'll watch those hits totals more than his penalty minutes (in terms of an indicator for his physical play).

Obviously, it's only two games so far and there's a lot of hockey left to be played. But it's going to be fun tracking his progress this year (and the KHL's English-language website has made it pretty easy).

I swear 32,000 of your 32,050 posts are passive aggressive BS. You must be from Ontario.

Yawn.

Hal Gill was SMART.

If Tryamkin has some brains with his size and his already-better speed, he's going to be a very good player going forward.

I agree, but I'm more concerned with him gaining an elite shot, as that would put him among top-tier defenders. And that would be very nice. Edited by TOMapleLaughs

Tryamkin's game will translate over to NA no problem, with his size and speed and the way that he played in the WJC I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a problem. The great thing I like about him is his reach for the puck and is able to knock it off the opposing players as well going in for clean checks. Most of his checks from WJC were pretty clean and very well executed. Some plays he did look out of place but overall when he was used on the PP it looked very well functioned with his shots hitting the net majority of the times.

• Upvote 1